Why changing the past is not possible!

I just thought of this stuff, and had to write it down before I forgot. Yes, I think of these things. I think to much.

Nafé

"Philosophy is a stupid euphemism for the rambling inanities of the damned." --Ivan Brunetti

For one take on the nature of time travel, look up the short story "All the Myriad Ways", by Larry Niven. Touches on what Concordia mentioned, in reply to the first theory in the thread-starter post.

Who has time to read? I'm still trying to figure out if I'm coming or going or should already be gone. But I do know something important about time. It's LUNCH TIME ;) (for me anyway)

Re: Re: Re: Why changing the past is not possible!

Originally posted by Quarto
Hmm... I don't think I agree there. Even if you know 100% of the present, there is still a random element (for example, in human decision-making - our decisions are not always rational). You might be able to predict the probabilities of the different possibilities, but ultimately you could never be certain which is finally going to happen.

I don't know many who would agree ;)

As for random elements/irrationalities. Who says that anything is random at all. Can you show me one single truely random event?

Why would it be impossible to foresee non rational decisions BTW? I'd guess that 90% of parents would die for their children. Not exactly something that is a rational act.

Ultimately I believe in the total deterministic chaos. You know that theory that says a butterfly in the rainforest can cause a hurricane in Asia.
That stuff. You saw my statement if we ever could measure all and every atom in the universe, then (and only then) could a prediction work to 100% as well. Now my believe is that this is not a could, but a will be. Just that the prerequisite will never be met.

Back