Who's looking forward to Tomb Raider:Legend?

meisdavidp

All your belief cannot absolve your sin.
I highly reccomend you try the demo if you haven't already. Legend looks like it could definately do a lot to redeem the series after the Angel of Darkness fiasco. At last, a return to tomb raiding instead of a damn tour of urban France.

I played the demos for all the tomb raider games...they were pretty fun but never good enough to convince me to buy the games.

As a guy who did some limited work on the new game, (my company, Buzz Monkey Software did the PSP port of TR7) I can tell you that Crystal Dynamics and Eidos are very much committed to bringing back the stuff that made the original Tomb Raider successful. It's a lot of fun to jump around, move, and fight through the game world, and the visuals are very impressive - even on the PSP. Sadly - I've not actually gotten the chance to *play* through the entire game - too much time working on it and other projects, and I couldn't take it home - so I can't say how good the story is. So if you're interested in gameplay and graphics, I'd say pick it up, but if you're worried about the storyline, I'd say wait for some of the reviews to come out and see if it interests you. I'm probably going to snag the 360 version as soon as it comes out, so I'll let you guys know more after I do.

I downloaded it from gamespot last night but haven't tried it yet. The videos looked good.

I sincerely hope the PC version isn't as buggy as Angel of Darkness was. It came with my soundcard and not having a gamepad at the time, it took me almost an hour to customize the controls to the point where it was playable. and then.... After working through what I assume was most of the game, I gave up without finishing because there were so many wierd crashes/ glitches/ and stuff that made it unfun.

I've read some early reviews from shady characters who said that the story was indeed more reminiscent of the earlier games in the series. Don't care for their methods, but it's nice to have a heads up sometimes. The pc version (going from the demo that I have) plays very nicely with mouse and keyboard with default controls. Also nice is the game's flexibility as far as lining up jumps. It's almost as if the game realizes at last that 3rd person quasi-platformer titles are damned hard to be accurate in. Also, the annoying role-playing elements from Angel of Darkness are apparently gone. Unless something truly terrible happened between the demo and final release and all those shady people are lying, this could easily be the best TR yet as well as the first one I actually finish.

Also, Howard Day is now "The Man" simply by association, whether or not he was the man prior to this.

As a guy who did some limited work on the new game, (my company, Buzz Monkey Software did the PSP port of TR7)

Please get Lara Croft's autograph for me.

Autograph and phone number.

I'm downloafing the demo on Y-Box Live right now.

Just finished the PC demo! Played absolutely flawlessly and was fun to boot. It looks really great and controled good (took a second to adjust... no different than with a console game though plus the controls are customizable. SHould have tried out my gamepad :). Lara has some neat new moves. And it was easy to manoever the various jumps. Swimming was still a bit awkward. But I didn't have to do enough of it to be able to refine it. Speaking of which.... Lara is all wet after getting out of the water too :)

Yeh, I noticed that. Seems like Lara is affected by what you make her do. She gets dirt on her if you go rolling around a bit and drips water once you go swimming. Not a necessary detail, but hey when you got it, flaunt it!

meisdavidp said:
...hey when you got it, flaunt it!

Hehehe. That seems like an odd statement when Lara isn't quite as endowed as in AOD and doesn't have the "realistic" jiggle...:eek:

Edit: I just realized (I thought I had sold it) that I still have AOD, so I'm going to try it again after installing the v42, v49, and v52 patches. Supposedly installing them in that order makes it most likely to be playable.

Bandit LOAF said:
Please get Lara Croft's autograph for me.
Autograph and phone number.
I'm downloafing the demo on Y-Box Live right now.

Well, best I can do is a snapshot of the Life-size Lara craft statue they're (hopefully) sending us. I think we're going to replace the creepy-ass Jar-Jar statue we're got now. (Groping an inflatable monkey, if you can believe it) *Shudder* I swear to god, if I had a shotgun when I first saw that thing... There wouldn't be much left above the waist. Come around the corner and... Bam! Seven foot Jar-Jar! I knew I was going to die of a heart attack, but I didn't know it would be so soon.
Well, I hope you guys enjoy the newest TR game. I honestly had almost nothing to do with it. :D

AD, ad far as I know, AOD is pretty crappy, maybe you should just wait for the new game, which will probably ROCK.

And you thought I was joking.
jarjarhorror.jpg

Scary.

Edfilho said:
AD, as far as I know, AOD is pretty crappy, maybe you should just wait for the new game, which will probably ROCK.

Well, being one of the first directx 9 games it actually looks pretty good. Lots of reflection and nice shadows. You can tweak almost every graphical setting you can imagine. It looks fairly nice with my newer video card. However the story hasn't changed and the controls are still terrible... even with a gamepad. Figure that. At least it doesnt crash all the time anymore.

Playing this right after the demo fairly reinforces how much of an improvement TR: Legend is.

I actually thought the story, aside from lack of tombs, could have been very cool. But then I'm just too timid to play resident evil type games so I play things like AOD (or would have had it not been so awful control-wise) and Half-Life 2.

Edit: that Jar Jar belongs in the next resident evil game in exactly that lighting. That thing is simply horrifying.

AD said:
Well, being one of the first directx 9 games it actually looks pretty good. Lots of reflection and nice shadows. You can tweak almost every graphical setting you can imagine. It looks fairly nice with my newer video card. However the story hasn't changed and the controls are still terrible... even with a gamepad. Figure that. At least it doesnt crash all the time anymore.

Playing this right after the demo fairly reinforces how much of an improvement TR: Legend is.

Oh, sure, the graphics are fine :)

I watched my cousins and people play through quite a bit of the Tomb Raider demo today and it looked pretty good. I've got too many games going right now, so I probably won't get it, but it looks neat.

Back