Who were the enemys before the Kilrathi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bandit LOAF said:
Which is funny because of all the ships to appear in WC, the movie Rapiers are the only one made of real fighters.

I still say it looks like a flying penis.

overmortal said:

Dude I don't know where your from, but that sure as hell doesn't look like any part of the human anatomy.

Peace,

Echo

Echo said:
Or we could just say that, watching the movie was like taking the trip on the trolley to the land of make believe.

Peace,

Echo

As opposed to the Wing Commander games, which are a painstakingly researched intellectual look at the *real* giant space cat war.

[insert disparaging comparison between Movie Rapier and one of several femenine accessories here]

[insert witty anti-noob remark here]

[tired reminder to read the damn previous posts here]

and if you really want to know about the "different levels of canon" there are posts here or you could probably hit many MANY Star Wars sites which could tell you all about it...

overmortal said:

Every bad thing I've ever said about you, you've just validated. Thank you.

Validation is important, as I am now learning in my Anthro 702 Theory class...all about historical particularism

Personally I consider the movie to be separate because if Blair was a leftover Pilgrim from the Pilgrim Wars, why doesn't it come up in the games? Because it's a bloody big continuity gap, that's why!

P.S. How do you get this "religion" scene with Vagabond in WC4?

See, that's not a "continuity gap"... since they never talk about Blair's religion at all. It's only an error if we have Maniac and Blair chatting about how great it is that they're catholic.

(Insert immune to sarcasm comment here)

Sounds like my ex-g/f explaing to me that she didn't lie to me she just didn't talk about certain things and henceforth did not lie....

Bandit LOAF said:
See, that's not a "continuity gap"... since they never talk about Blair's religion at all. It's only an error if we have Maniac and Blair chatting about how great it is that they're catholic.

Uhm, on the movie Blair is a half-pilgrim. You can't be half-[religion], so it appears to be in an ethical, or cultural sense. Yeah, Blair has the genes, and he has a cross, but to isn't saying that he is from the Pilgrim religion a little too far? After all, he didn't even know much about Pilgrims, and was not raised by them.

Sounds like my ex-g/f explaing to me that she didn't lie to me she just didn't talk about certain things and henceforth did not lie....

It's not remotely like that - it's filling in something that didn't exist in any sense beforehand.

(It's also another case of 'I'll bitch about this because I hate the movie'. If a novel established that Blair loved pie or that his favorite color were orange, *no one would care*. The simple fact is that he had almost no background before the movie filled it out - there wasn't anything to contradict.)

Uhm, on the movie Blair is a half-pilgrim. You can't be half-[religion], so it appears to be in an ethical, or cultural sense. Yeah, Blair has the genes, and he has a cross, but to isn't saying that he is from the Pilgrim religion a little too far? After all, he didn't even know much about Pilgrims, and was not raised by them.

There are plenty of people who consider themselves "half Jewish"... that's pretty much the case with Blair - his mother was a Pilgrim, he respects that fact but he doesn't necessarily believe in/understand their mythology.

I have no problem with it. Adds a small degree of cornyness but I'll take it. It's still WC after all.

Bandit LOAF said:
There are plenty of people who consider themselves "half Jewish"... that's pretty much the case with Blair - his mother was a Pilgrim, he respects that fact but he doesn't necessarily believe in/understand their mythology.

He might have another religion, even if he is a half-pilgrim. So if on WCIV Blair said he was of some religion, it would not be a continuity gap.

Yeah, but the WC movie Pilgrims had some pretty weird mental abilities...though I guess that could account for the whole player-character-ness of Blair...

Still - what about the Rapier? Also the fact that the Tiger's Claw looks like ...aww, what's the class of those CVLs that appeared in WC2 Spec Ops? I forget. Looked like one of those, IIRC.

The popular opinion about the WCM Rapier from those who believe the movie is cannon is that it is the original Rapier, mark I, if you will, whereas the ones premiered in the game are mark IIs ("Have you seen those new Rapiers yet?"). That's a decent enough explaination for me.

As for the "weird" look of the Tiger Claw (and for the rest of the ships and outfits and everything in the movie), I wouldn't use that as an excuse as to write off the entire film. It's artistic licensing, something the director of the film (and creator of the series) should be allowed to have.

ChanceKell said:
The popular opinion about the WCM Rapier from those who believe the movie is cannon is that it is the original Rapier, mark I, if you will, whereas the ones premiered in the game are mark IIs ("Have you seen those new Rapiers yet?"). That's a decent enough explaination for me.

As for the "weird" look of the Tiger Claw (and for the rest of the ships and outfits and everything in the movie), I wouldn't use that as an excuse as to write off the entire film. It's artistic licensing, something the director of the film (and creator of the series) should be allowed to have.

Nice way of putting it. Also, in Wing Commander 2 Blair had blue hair and his voice was very similar to Chris Roberts ( ;) ) however in Wing Commander 3 he suddenly turned into Mark Hamil. Wing Commander 3 is still canon is it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back