Who to vote for? (for US President)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf Dog

Spaceman
Every election year its the same thing. The candidates try to confuse us as to what the real issues are by distracting us with talk of the economy, healthcare, education, and national defense, etc. Talking about Iraq might be fun, but its so narrow it totally misses out on the big picture... we are only six centuries and change away from an galactic war beyond imagination (unless you're initials are CR). So I ask for anyone who is political savvy to answer the question, which candidate is best prepared to defend us from the future onslaught of the Kilrathi?

Yeah, I have the feeling if Kerry gets elected that NASA gets canned...which would suck. I'm voting Bush for many reasons but the main reason is the girl at work next to me is a big die hard democrat so I'm voting for Bush just to cancel out her vote to spite her. :)

Bush, probably Kerry would vote to go to war with the Kilrathi but then vote against to refund our armed forces like he did with our troops in Iraq. That dick!

Yeah, Bush proposed getting rid of the space shuttle by 2010 in favor of a different platform and establishing a moon base by 2020 as a base to eventually send people to the moon. However, he only allocated a billion dollars over five years to focus NASA on that task and did not specify where future funding would come from. Do you guys think in five years after they are "focused" on the new task that there will be funding to actually do all that, or will time have been spent reorganizing only to be under a new administration with the funding and mission it started with? Short version: can Bush turn the vision into reality?

Kerry opposed the plan, although it’s not clear whether it was the idea or the apparent lack of funding for such an expensive project. Kerry also promises to "increase" funding for NASA, but neglects funding as well. I give quotations to increase because its not clear if the "increase", if any, would actually be great enough to even counter inflation.

I will be amazed if this thread lasts more than 20 posts....

Seriously....this can only bring on one thing.....

I've got a strange prescient feeling that Bush will end up winning. So I'm just going to vote for Nader since he ended up making it on the Utah ballot.

I can see it now...

Bush: "Kil...walthi? What? We need to fight terror, not control the pet population..."

...so with all our troops in the middle east and no one defending the homeland, the Kilrathi make a quick and merciless strike against the mainland...

hm... I have a feeling that Kerry would probably hop in a Hornet and stick it to 'em personally... but I can only dream ^_^

At least Kerry might have an idea on how to use the Hornet since Bush seemingly forgot he was part of the armed forces during vietnam...

Dundradal said:
I will be amazed if this thread lasts more than 20 posts....
Seriously....this can only bring on one thing.....

Yeah, that could well be a result. The idea was that it was supposed to be _funny_ but then people go and get serious... Anyways, some more potential important issues and where the candidates stand (or, more precisely, where I think they stand).

Stem Cells:
Kerry might be dangerous, he wants to open up stem cell research that could lead to the GE program and could cost lives with the Black Lance incident. Of course, maybe he could accelerate the program and it could play a pivotal role in the war.

Fusion Research:
Bush pulled money for fusion research that I believe Kerry supports. But it isn't very much money.

Missile Defense:
Reverse the positions of Bush and Kerry on fusion, but for a lot more money.

Cats:
Does anyone know if Bush or Kerry is a cat person? Maybe the president could inadvertently foster a feeling of feline sympathy that would prove deadly in 600 years?

Think you've got to give it to Bush on funding, even more so if you expect there to be billions forthcoming for the aforementioned NASA base on the moon.

I think we should focus on getting people jobs and not paying so much money out to people who seem to be unwilling to work (which is hard to believe because most people do want to be atleast a little productive with their lives)

Missile Defense is such a waste of my money...

Fusion is a nice idea but still 50 years away from practical use (sorry BTTF 2, but no Mr. Fusion for the Deleron)

Cats, well I can't fucking stand them. They smell, they leave hair on everything, and my old room mates was so fat it's legs could barely hold its fat ass up. I don't even think a Mark III torp could have dented its fatness and hairyness to actuallly penetrate to do real damage

Dundradal said:
Missile Defense is such a waste of my money...

Waste of money now, or in 600 years. Better missile defenses against the Kilrathi could save a lot of lives, why not start now? (This is all laughable, I know, the trick is to go with it and not point out the gaping logic holes you could fly a Hvar'kann through sideways)

Dundradal said:
Fusion is a nice idea but still 50 years away from practical use (sorry BTTF 2, but no Mr. Fusion for the Deleron)

I think fusion (breakeven) would be a lot closer than that if a lot of money was thrown at it.

However, he only allocated a billion dollars over five years to focus NASA on that task and did not specify where future funding would come from.

"Only" a billion extra dollars is pretty freaking great for an organization that has been recieving budget cuts for more than thirty years.

LOAF said:
"Only" a billion extra dollars is pretty freaking great for an organization that has been recieving budget cuts for more than thirty years.

Ooooh....politics... ;)

About NASA, I would not expect any candidate from either party to ever pay any real attention to the space program until there becomes some pressing need for us to "solve a problem." With over 41 million Americans living without health insurance, funding for the space program is a hard sell to the loyalists of both parties.

As far as fighting the Kats go, I'm afraid Bush would leave the TCN vastly underfunded because he would refuse to repeal a tax cut for those making more than 200,000 credits per year in order to finance the war. ;)

Also, someone should start a properly-disclaimered real politics thread. I'm a poli sci major, the President of my local Young Dems' club, and a paid staffer for a local campaign, so I love to talk politics. As long as we all know we're all still friends at the end. :)

Commissar said:
hm... I have a feeling that Kerry would probably hop in a Hornet and stick it to 'em personally... but I can only dream ^_^

Thats why i would wote for Bush. Nobody wants a president that gets himself killed at the first chance he gets.

Bravery is a good thing, but i think the president getting blown up while figthing a salthi would decrease morale instead of strenghtening it. :(

As a rule I have no respect for politicians to begin with. I originally voted for Bush because I felt Clinton made total a mockery of his office and Al Gore was the other option. My feelings were further reinforced when Gore got all whiney about not winning in Florida. If I had seen Al during the next twenty-four months I probably would have kicked him in the nuts and told him to grow up. Now I've kind of cooled of and I realize it's not his fault, he was probably dropped on his head as a child, many times. :D
I've gained some respect for Bush because he smacked down the Taliban for supporting Al Qaeda after 9/11 and he had the balls to go in and remove Saddam, despite the objections, which is something i think his father should have done back in '91.
So I'm going to vote for George W again this year because John Kerry really annoy's the hell out of me, as does most of the Democratic party.
Just as a side note:
I was reading The Manchurian Candidate , the book by Richard Condon that the original film was based on not the new flick with Denzel Washington. Anyway within the first 100 pages, I can't remember exactly where because I was in the middle of reading it and I lost my copy, there's a part where it talks about John Islin's war record during WWII. His wife, raymond's mother, finagles an assignment to Greenland for Johnny where he works in a weather unit. She takes his letters and spins the smallest event into some grand adventure, when in fact Johnny never comes within a hundred yards of the enemy. At one point a naval ship puts into a nearby port and they are scheduled to test their gun battery. Nobody on the ship wants to do it, they just want a little shore leave, so Johnny Islin talks them into let him fire the guns. Well the whole event gets turned into this grand battle, by Mrs. Shaw-Islin, where Johnny holds off a massive German assault on his own with the ship's guns!
Admittedly John Kerry's exploits, real or imagined, are not that absurdly grand but the similarities between Kerry lying about his record and John Islin lying about his record was kind of trippy, particulalry considering the book was written in the late '50s to early '60s.
It's just a thought, maybe I should ask the guys in the black helicopter that's been following me around. :p

Asking for an intelligent opinion about politics on the internet is like making abstract art by lining up puppies and dashing their skulls out with a mace.

Why bother? All it does is make us hurt inside.

Hm...

*dream sequence*

Would it not be more effective to settle presidental elections by a VR dogfight? Just think of it: Kerry vs. Bush in the simulator, like Blair and Flash in WC III. Loser hops on the first chopper out of the White House, and the winner... well... hail to the chief ^_^

...or, of course, we could always vote ;-)

VOTE FOR BUSH democrotes love to take away the militaries pay and I like to keep my cost of living increase we get each year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back