Who owns the rights to Wing Commander?

FredDude32

Rear Admiral
Is it EA who does?

I think it would be cool if Chris Roberts could somehow get those rights and include some form of WC cameo in Star Citizen..Like a playable simulator of the first WC game in the form of a Space Sci-fi game like in the Sim in the first WC game!

I know its not original, but it got my vote none-the-kess. :)

Yes. For certain. I contacted GOG about finding permissions for Let's Play videos, thinking some publishers were dead. They informed me the developer's/publishers on the cards are current and will be updated as such.

The SC release trailer had all sorts of WC references, I'd expect to see more similarities to come.

Yes. For certain. I contacted GOG about finding permissions for Let's Play videos, thinking some publishers were dead. They informed me the developer's/publishers on the cards are current and will be updated as such.

The SC release trailer had all sorts of WC references, I'd expect to see more similarities to come.

Yes, most notably the Bengal-class.

If I was a suit at EA I'd be stupid not to get the ball running for a new Wing Commander game. It may be wishful thinking, but with the crowd funding success of SC they must at least be doing some sort of preliminary work on it.

If I was a suit at EA I'd be stupid not to get the ball running for a new Wing Commander game. It may be wishful thinking, but with the crowd funding success of SC they must at least be doing some sort of preliminary work on it.
Why would they? Wing Commander has always been very strongly associated with Chris Roberts. What sense would it make to try producing a new Wing Commander game now, with Chris Roberts already on the job? I know I'm being very pessimistic, and I hope I'm proven wrong, but I strongly believe Star Citizen has killed off any chance of a new Wing Commander game for years to come, if not permanently. About the best we could expect is something like that Ultima IV remake.

Why would they? Wing Commander has always been very strongly associated with Chris Roberts. What sense would it make to try producing a new Wing Commander game now, with Chris Roberts already on the job? I know I'm being very pessimistic, and I hope I'm proven wrong, but I strongly believe Star Citizen has killed off any chance of a new Wing Commander game for years to come, if not permanently. About the best we could expect is something like that Ultima IV remake.

I'd doubt it. Depends on statistics, given that the average gamer is aged around 30-35, give or take a couple of years. Perhaps, but how many would it be a deal breaker with Chris Roberts being involved in WC or producing his own new universe? It will go back to the early last decade where awesome space games were made but no-one bought them. I'd expect a quick rushed out (1 year cycle) of some type of space sim from when Star Citizen gets released or somewhere to the point that SC proves that it works (read sells). But hard to say given the success of crowd funding, they may look at how much money CIG make/lose upon release. If the Space Sim market resurges, then it would make sense for EA to go with an IP they already have and make the same promises they made with Prophecy.

I would have thought the same as Quarto, especially with EA holding the Star Wars license... but I've bad multiple recruiters wanting to talk to me about WC now...

I'll be curious to see what happens. I wouldn't mind another Wing Commander game as I do love the universe, but EA without the heart of Chris and the original devs (many of which who are working on Star Citizen) makes me think we'd get something arcadey and not that great. Still, even a decent competent game in the WC universe would be welcome. I didn't like Prophecy as much as I-IV personally, but it was still enjoyable (part of that was the aliens just didn't strike a chord with me like the Kilrathi always have).

I believe EA acquiring the rights to Wing Commander is the REAL reason Adm. Tolwyn killed himself.

500px-Tolwyn04.png

Actually, despite the lack of games since Prohecy/Secret Ops (Arena aside) EA have in many ways been good to the Wing Commander franchise. They have an excellent relationship with the CIC and have been very tolerant towards the fan projects and fan made games that in many cases used their copyrighted material.

A reboot of the franchise is what I'm hoping for. Confed was at it's best when dealing with Kilrah's worst. Pre Tiger's Claw, perhaps Custer's Carnival. That had some good fic.

I'd like to see them going all the way back to the beginning of the war actually--have a minor skirmish or two in the "tutorial" part and then the Battle of McAullife happens (and maybe you get to fight in it), and it goes from there.

I would have thought the same as Quarto, especially with EA holding the Star Wars license... but I've bad multiple recruiters wanting to talk to me about WC now...
That's nice to hear, it gives some hope that I'm wrong after all. That having been said - you know better than anyone how many WC projects have been initiated at EA over the years, only to get cancelled.

Back