Which Novel?

Spien

Spaceman
I've finally decided to pick up one of the novels. I know this is probably a topic that's old and boring to all of you but this still seems like the best place to ask.

Which novel should I pick up?

I know it's a series and most of you will say "All of them!" but I don't have a lot of time to read for my own pleasure right now so I'd like to just get one and if I like it I'll get the rest of them later. Other sites have pointed me in the direction of the book "Fleet Action" but I thought I'd ask all of you first.

End Run really should be read before Fleet action. If you can't do both then I suggest Action Stations.

Jim

Start with either Freedom Flight (the first book published) or End Run (the first book by Bill Forstchen, which is similar in tone to the later novels).

I guess this old CIC poll can help you

What is your favorite Wing Commander novel so far?
Freedom Flight 4.56 %
End Run 12.49 %
Fleet Action 19.76 %
Heart of the Tiger 7.93 %
The Price of Freedom 9.12 %
Action Stations 5.54 %
I haven't read any of the novels 40.61 %

I haven´t read any of them, but I am about to buy Fleet Action.

EDIT: Or go with LOAF´s advice and read them in order.

End Run introduces all of the characters/settings/etc. that are continued in Fleet Action - if possible, it's best to do End Run before FA.

I think I'll get End Run and follow it up with Fleet Action then. Thanks for the advice. The reason I asked is because I was afraid of getting a book out of sequence and not knowing what the heck was going on so it's lucky that I decided not to grab Fleet Action first.

Why was there never a book/story explaining anything about the Gettysburg incident? At least, I think that's what it is, where Bondarevsky mutinied? I always thought I was just missing one of the books but this turns out not to have been the case....

ER takes place after SO2 and after Bear had been on the Concordia for a little while after the inquery into the incident. ER just picks up after all that, it is mentioned a little bit, but I think they didn't want to focus on it, it was just part of his character, it was probably at least a little assumed that WC players would have played wc2 and SO1 and SO2 to know who Bear was.

I got the books in the order they were published and read them orginally in that order. Whenever I decide to reread them, I usually also do it in that order, they make more sense (especially the forstchen books).

FC is great because it's the longest of the books (you notice the difference when you have them all) and it bridges the WC3-WC4 gap so nicely to setup some of the things of WC4, although it came out after wc4.

I like ER the most, FA is fantastic, but I just like the story of it more, nothing like a shoestring end run to deliver a heavy blow.

Bandit LOAF said:
The Gettysburg incident was told in Special Operations 1.

If Ryock was thinking of something in the novels which discussed the backstory, End Run has Bear referencing the incident as being ordered to dump a load of Kilrathi civilians. But as LOAF stated, the Gettysburg incident was primarily the focus of SO1's first half.

how can you not like FC? What in it made you dislike it?

Just curious as I've never really heard anyone put it down...

Unless, you know, you haven't read/played WC4... in which case you should really skip the intro and end of Action Stations...

Er...well I thought it was the Gettysburg that Bondarevsky refrenced when he talked about having to mutiney against the Captain of the ship.

I could be wrong. Was that told in the SO add ons? I've never actually played them.

Don't start with Action Stations. It doesn't take place first (it has 'modern' bookends that spoil everything that comes after it) and it relies on your knowledge of characters introduced in End Run/Fleet Action.

SO1 deals with the gettysburg incident, some of the crew mutined after the refused to attack a transport carrying kilrathi civilians. The ships in SO1 and ER are the same (the gettysburg takes part in the battle of vukar tag).

I think to start with Freedom Flight is good since it has the most "WC" feel to it. It's my favourite along with False Colors.

I just ordered End Run, since it seems to be the rarest I figured I may as well get my hands on it while I can. Again, thanks for the help everyone.

Back