Which is the better leader?

Which is the better leader

• Hawk

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Manaic

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tough choice. Following Maniac is liable to get you killed, where Hawk is the type who would comfortably fit into the Black Lance. (He is there in the Black Lance ending of The Price of Freedom). I suppose Maniac would be for those who know not to be reckless and to disregard some of the nonsense Maniac would come up with, and Hawk for those who won't be swayed to be bloodthirsty or kill innocent people.

Uh, let's see...

Maniac would be interesting to have around as a leader. We'd probably charge into every fight and kick butt every time... wait, didn't he resign as squadron leader in WCP? Never mind, Hawk wins.

Hawk and Panther and the keys to which ending you'll get. Hawk is more the old blooded killer, where Panther is more the pacifist, or at least more sensible. Two big decisions where you have to choose between Hawk and Panther; whether to save people or gather weapons is one (can't recall which mission), the other is whether to use the Flash-Pak on a starbase full of innocent people. Having Hawk's morale up, such as saying it's time to be a Captain when he complains about Maniac or that they die trying when asked where the war puts the Intrepid, or Panther's by saying you'll talk to Maniac, for all the good it'll do, play a factor as well, but not on the level of using the Flash-Pak and what not. If you sided with Hawk, you basically become Tolwyn, and Hawk is with you, telling you of a rebel uprising. Blair says to send a force out to put the fear of God into them. Hawk proceeds to follow these orders, wishing Blair a 'good night,' which Blair is unlikely to get as he looks out into space. We can only guess what he's thinking about, maybe about Angel, and how what he'[d done was a betrayal to everything she had strived for. (Blair mentions losing her, and decking Paladin, to Sosa if Catscratch dies). If you side with Panther, you become a flight instructor. Paladin is with you, enviously saying how he could have been anything. But Blair just wants to fly. Panther shows up with some rookies, and Blair tells her to let them wait while he gets in some flying time. Then Maniac is seen bragging to some pilots, at which time Blair takes the moment to mention that he owes it all to him, for his earthworm or eagle quote. As Blair flies out in a Boarder Worlds fighter, Maniac tries to explain, but Paladin just tells him to shut up. That's the good ending.

Because, um, well, Blair is the equivilent of Tolwyn, who led the Black Lance, and I am pretty sure the Black Lance are still very much in business, or at the very least the concepts behind the Black Lance are alive and well.

IIRC he didn't just tell Hawk to take care of the Rebels, he actualy told him to send in the Black Lance. I did watch that ending once, and I really didn't like the idea of throwing away all that good-guy work just to become Tolwyn's successor (in rank and agenda), so I always made sure to get the good-guy ending.

t.c.cgi said:
. . . so I always made sure to get the good-guy ending.

Personally I'd have liked to have seen the 3rd "middle of the Road" ending in the WC4N where Blair is a general and Confeds Liason officer with the BW IIRC, Maniac is a colonel and Eisen is an Admiral. That would have been a good one to film (although it probably would have cost us another disk ;) )

C-ya

Yeah, Manaic was a Colonel in the BW I think they transfer his rank when he rejoined TCSF.He was also offered a Wing Command Position on the light carrier TCS Kiev as a part of TCSF Academy .

Anyways,I still believe Hawk is the better leader although he killed a few "innocent" Kilrathi in WCP and supposely let a few cadets die. I would have loved to see Hawk before WCIV.

Phillip Tanaka said:
Because, um, well, Blair is the equivilent of Tolwyn, who led the Black Lance, and I am pretty sure the Black Lance are still very much in business, or at the very least the concepts behind the Black Lance are alive and well.

hrmm, never thought about it that way... always thought of the admiral ending as the good one.. lol !

One would think, considering Blair is being rewarded properly for ending the Kilrathi war. But the lesson this ending may serve is how power corrupts. Or if you feel that killing innocent people is justified, you could end up like this. I will put the ending text from the script below.

midgame: confed hq -wend
CONDITION: This scene plays (instead of the previous three) IF Blair sided with Hawk more than Panther (IF Hawk's morale ends up higher than Panther's).

this was once tolwyn's office...
but now it's blair's...

we can see that blair has been elevated in rank to general. and that hawk is his right-hand man.

hawk
The rebellion on Logo VI seems to be picking up steam.

blair
Send in a carrier. Have the Black Lance fighters run blanket recon. That should put the fear of God in them.

hawk
I'll issue the orders. Good night, General.

He exits. Blair points a remote at the lights, dims them.

he looks out the grand windows, into the loneliness of space.

We can only wonder at what he sees...
or what might haunt him...

credits roll... the end.

Back