Which game is easier to mod?

culler

Spaceman
Which of the WC games is easier to mod?

Especially between the 2 Vision engine ones, Prophecy and Secret Ops. I would think perhaps SO, it seems simpler without features like FMV and stuff.

I believe that SO is easier to play around with - the game checks for external files first, then goes to the default TRE files. WCP does it the other way around.

I'm not sure if anyone has manage to work out the file structure of WC3/4 TRE files, so I think your best bet is working on SO. Although I have no 'modding' experience whatsoever...

It just occurred to me that the downloadable Secret Ops might be different to the Prophecy Gold Secret Ops, in terms of the directory structure, because of the episodic nature of the original. I'm guessing this particular structure lends itself well to modding.

Am I correct?

I deleted my downloaded Secret Ops when I bought Prophecy Gold... hmm...

Very small, subtle differences AFAIK. Only evidence of difference (aside from episodes) which I know are the version numbers (press V inflight) and Locke's infinite ammo patch had to be updated for the different SO versions.

BTW, all the episode executables did was update the MISSIONS.TRE, overwriting the old file. Naturally, the Gold version already has all the missions. So I assume there's no difference in directory structure or whatever else you're concerned about.

SO & WCP are the best ones to edit - there's been a huge amount of research done on these, giving you great possiblities. And choosing between the two, SO wins because it has all the features of WCP plus a few WCP doesn't have (not the least of these being HCl's hi-res patch).

Originally posted by culler
I would think perhaps SO, it seems simpler without features like FMV and stuff.

You can have FMV on SO too.
Btw, despite the cutscenes being done by the engine, that doesnt means SO doesnt have movies. The comms are still movies.

Back