Which are you for? terraforming Mars or leaving it in its Red form

Iceblade

Admiral
Last night I was flipping the channels and I came across a show that was talking about out immediate future with Mars. On the show there was this guy that had written a book about two factions forming in the future. One faction was for terraforming Mars and the other was for leaving the planet in its red sandy state. So which are you for?

I say we leave it alone - I guess Star Trek's gotten to me - non-interferance and all that. Who knows what we could screw up. I mean, we already messed up one planet (in my opinion), why do it again? A colony here and there is ok, but I don't think we should completely alter the landscape of a planet for our needs.

We could just use the Star Trek method of making sure everything's okay first. Send down 4-6 people, have them handle the hostile alien species, and then terraform the place.

Well, that depends:
If they find life on Mars, even if it's just some bacteria or microbes (which is, however, very unlikely), a change of their environment would almost certainly kill them. In this case, Mars should stay as he is.

Needaham45 said:
I say we leave it alone - I guess Star Trek's gotten to me - non-interferance and all that. Who knows what we could screw up. I mean, we already messed up one planet (in my opinion), why do it again? A colony here and there is ok, but I don't think we should completely alter the landscape of a planet for our needs.
Well, even in Star Trek, non-interference only applies to planets with sentient life, doesn't it? If people are going to not interfere with anything, then why bother even experimenting with space travel?

On a sidenote, non-interference, in spite of what various sci-fi authors and TV shows would argue, is not a better option than interference. Just as in some situations interference would be immoral, so in other situations non-interference is immoral.

I know what it is in Star Trek, I was just sorta doing that as a lead in to my response :p

I dunno.. even if you could interfere and save an entire planet of life, you are altering the course of normal events - it may be immoral, but generally non-interferance is the right thing to do - just to let things happen naturally.

And, yes, I know non-interferance applies to sentient life, and again, I was just using that as a lead in.

Needaham45 said:
I dunno.. even if you could interfere and save an entire planet of life, you are altering the course of normal events - it may be immoral, but generally non-interferance is the right thing to do - just to let things happen naturally.
That's not much of a consolation to the life on that planet :p. More to the point - why is it the right thing to do? This decision is apparently not based on moral standards, so by what standards does this become the right thing to do?

I promised myself I wouldn't get into an argument about this, so I won't. I still think we should leave things alone cause it's more natural, but I won't argue it. You have a good point with the what's right if its not based on morals. So, we'll leave it there :p

Terraform the sucker! If you want to keep it red, then just use plants with lots of red colors in them and when making buildings use red bricks and stuff.

In any case, I just wish NASA would hurry up and do something interesting out of Earth's orbit. At this point I'd settle for just a friggin moonbase, (even though that's technically still in Earth's orbit!)

Damnit, I want to live in space in my lifetime!

I agree that NASA and the government are taking too long to get in gear with going into space. Earth is in trouble right now with the pollution and overcrowding. So we need to start exploring and expand into Space. Pretty soon the Japanense will be getting a better shuttle completed. Which, really I am glad about it. It is about time humans got back on the moon or on the moon for the 1st time. We will soon know. Man can you imagine not having to be super top 1% rich to go to the moon, at least as soon as other countries adobt or make a better shuttle. What is even better is if space fighters are possible, then flying in a space military will no longer something for centuries ahead, unfortuantely by that time we will be too old.

TERRAFORM! TERRAFORM! And the sooner, the better. :D

Having all your eggs in one barrel can get you stuck between a rock and a hard place in the sun.

Iceblade said:
I agree that NASA and the government are taking too long to get in gear with going into space. Earth is in trouble right now with the pollution and overcrowding. So we need to start exploring and expand into Space. Pretty soon the Japanense will be getting a better shuttle completed. Which, really I am glad about it. It is about time humans got back on the moon or on the moon for the 1st time. We will soon know. Man can you imagine not having to be super top 1% rich to go to the moon, at least as soon as other countries adobt or make a better shuttle. What is even better is if space fighters are possible, then flying in a space military will no longer something for centuries ahead, unfortuantely by that time we will be too old.

Umm, there are currently seven (7) Mars missions going on right now. I saw they are quickening up the pace a bit. Also note that the next window to Mars doesn't come until 2013-2014. We got 10 years to prep!

Iceblade said:
I agree that NASA and the government are taking too long to get in gear with going into space.
Saddling the government with worrying about crap like space travel just makes it cost more. They realized this at some point and divested themselves of a large percentage of NASA.

As for NASA itself, they're good for lots of other stuff besides going to Mars, you know. That they aren't steaming ahead at flank trying to achieve that is no indication that they're wasting time.
Earth is in trouble right now with the pollution and overcrowding.
Minor correction: Certain places on Earth have overcrowding and pollution problems. Other places don't.
So we need to start exploring and expand into Space.
You can't just snap your fingers and colonize a hostile planet. The technologies that would make that sort of thing possible are either in their infancy, or are still just theory.

Beyond that, there's issues outside of our capability to sexcute such a project in the first place. To my knowledge, we're not even sure a place like Mars has sufficient gravity to hold a real atmosphere. That'd be pretty key as far as terraforming. Without that, you'd have to build self-contained ecosystems. And aside from those being monumentally difficult and expensive projects, we happen to suck pretty bad at them.
Pretty soon the Japanense will be getting a better shuttle completed. Which, really I am glad about it. It is about time humans got back on the moon
Why? What would landing a small team of people on the moon for a short time accomplish that wasn't already? We know we can get there, and we also know we can't do much more just yet. We're at a mid-point where sending more rockets up to the moon is just redundant.
or on the moon for the 1st time.
Buh?
We will soon know. Man can you imagine not having to be super top 1% rich to go to the moon, at least as soon as other countries adobt or make a better shuttle.
As far as I know, nobody, not even the super top 1% rich get to go, since there's no vehicle in existence which can take them.
What is even better is if space fighters are possible, then flying in a space military will no longer something for centuries ahead, unfortuantely by that time we will be too old.
Yeah hey, why reach out to the stars in the spirit of unity and collective betterment? Let's put some fuckin' guns up there, and shoot some bishes. Anyway, without Our Friend Friction helping you steer, it becomes a bit tricky to do the fighter thing in outer space.

If people are so distraught about the state of the world, the last thing they should be touting as a solution is expanding into the most hostile territory known to man. Humankind would never have gotten this far if at every point in our history when we faced a crisis we had sought to execute the absolute most complex and difficult solution proposed.

Back