Where would you start?

€ to DM is pretty much exactly a factor of 2, so €*2=DM more or less. I wished that ATS (Austrian Schilling) would have had such an easy conversion. But we were/are stuck with a ratio of 1:13.7603 ARGH...

Okay, my fault that we went off-topic into strange exchange rates. Doubly my fault for being dumb enough to forget that parts of Europe now use the Euro. I'll keep any further comments about that to myself, not wanting to start a war. :)

I'd just like to thank everyone for their input. I must confess I was dreading loading up WC1 and staring at those blocky graphics, but with the vast majority saying "Start at the beginning" it spurred me on to give it a try.

I loaded up KS, started WC1, jumped into a Hornet for the first time in about 12 years and suddenly realised I'd just lost 4 hours of my life. :) I had forgotten that good gameplay overcomes old graphics. Totally addicted all over again. <happy sigh>.

terroshak said:
I loaded up KS, started WC1, jumped into a Hornet for the first time in about 12 years and suddenly realised I'd just lost 4 hours of my life. :) I had forgotten that good gameplay overcomes old graphics. Totally addicted all over again. <happy sigh>.

Yeah, we hear that all the time, and that's exactly why we're here. Although WC1 did have amazing graphics for 1990, it was also just such an uncommonly good game that it's pretty timeless. Fans who haven't touched it in a few years are always pleasantly surprised when they go back.

Too right Chris. Anyhow retro is trendy right now. :D
Although it is a bit harder than I remembered! Grrrr. Damn transports turning right in front of you when you're at full afterburner!
And I forgot there aren't decoys in the early games. Hey-ho. I guess I'll just have to remember to out-run missles. :)

just like any good tv show you must start at the begin in order to get a full understanding...

Okay. I've started off with WC1 (using KS versions). I'm then going to do 2, 3 and 4. (Might need some help with the best command-line options for the WC4 windows patch).
I'm probably going to skip Prophecy as I only just played it in the summer.
Still haven't made up my mind whether to go from WC4 to WCSO, or whether to go on a detour and do Privateer and Priv2 in between. (I'll probably play Gemini Gold rather than privateer). I've got a while to think about that though. :)
Then I suppose there's all these fantastic looking add-ons to try, like UE and StandOff.
Final question, and should probably be in another thread so point me in the right direction if there already is one:
Is Prophecy GBA worth buying a GBA for?

With GBA prices lower thanks to the DS release, I'd say it's worth it. Besides, there are more games out there than WCPA, and they're not too expensive, either, with a bit of shopping.

As for the WC4 CL options, they're documented in the help file (yeah, I know... "why should I read the documentation?! I should be able to just go!" :p ).

terroshak said:
Is Prophecy GBA worth buying a GBA for?
It's not much different from the PC version (except of course the lack of FMV's) but I'd buy it if only for the sake of bringing the collection that one step closer to being complete. That and playin it over the link's not a bad way to spend time with your mates.
As for how I'd go about a WC marathon:
WC1 + expansions
WC2 + expansions
Standoff
Privateer (or gemini gold)
Armada
WC3
WC4
WCP
Unknown Enemy
WCSO
Privateer 2

Death said:
With GBA prices lower thanks to the DS release, I'd say it's worth it. Besides, there are more games out there than WCPA, and they're not too expensive, either, with a bit of shopping.

Definitely. There are soooo many gba carts to pick up off ebay, and there's always old GB ones for peanuts! Roughly how much are GBA SPs retailing for in the US now? I want to know how bad a deal we get over here in the UK!

Death said:
As for the WC4 CL options, they're documented in the help file (yeah, I know... "why should I read the documentation?! I should be able to just go!" :p ).

I did read the helpfile. (amazing I know ;)) Just wondered if anyone had done much playing with the deadzone= bit and what seems to be the optimum settings to make the game play well on modern PCs with XP. The joystick seems waaaay too sensitive on the recommended deadzone=3.

Aplha 1-1 said:
It's not much different from the PC version (except of course the lack of FMV's) but I'd buy it if only for the sake of bringing the collection that one step closer to being complete. That and playin it over the link's not a bad way to spend time with your mates.

My collection is getting pretty complete so I probably will buy it. Good for planes & trains as well. Is there a seperate thread on the multiplayer? How does it work - cooperative or deathmatch if you see what I mean?

Aplha 1-1 said:
As for how I'd go about a WC marathon:
WC1 + expansions
WC2 + expansions
Standoff
Privateer (or gemini gold)
Armada
WC3
WC4
WCP
Unknown Enemy
WCSO
Privateer 2

I'd go with most of that. You're going chronologically there aren't you? The only thing is if I do start on Privateer it'll be ages until I go onto the next game. I have a tendancy to play bits with one ship, then reload and go again with a different ship, just to see how it all feels. :)
Also Armada is a bit strange isn't it. It's more like something you can dip into a little an often regardless of what other games you're playing at the time. :)

terroshak said:
Definitely. There are soooo many gba carts to pick up off ebay, and there's always old GB ones for peanuts! Roughly how much are GBA SPs retailing for in the US now? I want to know how bad a deal we get over here in the UK!

Going with the "big" stores in the US (national or at least major regional chains, a GBA SP (the ones that fold in half) goes around $80, give or take a few dollars. Add on another 10 bucks or so for the "Micro" (more in the format of the original GBA, but smaller).

I did read the helpfile. (amazing I know ;)) Just wondered if anyone had done much playing with the deadzone= bit and what seems to be the optimum settings to make the game play well on modern PCs with XP. The joystick seems waaaay too sensitive on the recommended deadzone=3.

I've not gotten around to WCing on my XP system, so I can't offer any help there. Perhaps you might want to browse the Tech Support forum for help, as the issue has probably come up before for others.

terroshak said:
Is there a seperate thread on the multiplayer? How does it work - cooperative or deathmatch if you see what I mean?

It supports up to four players deathmatch style. Each person picks whether they're Confed or Nephilim, and then the two teams square off. Up to four additional AI players can be assigned for a total of eight fighters in combat. If all four players pick the same side, and the four AI are assigned to the other side, the game considers this a type of cooperative multiplayer mode. https://cdn.wcnews.com/newershots/full/vancouver1.jpg

terroshak said:
Also Armada is a bit strange isn't it. It's more like something you can dip into a little an often regardless of what other games you're playing at the time. :)

Well, Armada is the only multiplayer Wing Commander game for computers, so it's something everyone should dip into regularly. It also has two 11-sector campaigns and two distinct 15 mission "gauntlets" with a backstory for each mission.

Last edited by a moderator:
ChrisReid said:
Well, Armada is the only multiplayer Wing Commander game for computers, so it's something everyone should dip into regularly. It also has two 11-sector campaigns and two distinct 15 mission "gauntlets" with a backstory for each mission.

Speaking of Armada, how's the multiplayer activity for it, now that it's possible to play it online (right)?

Delance said:
Speaking of Armada, how's the multiplayer activity for it, now that it's possible to play it online (right)?

What do you mean by activity? I've done many updates about how it's possible to play online. https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6735 I don't think that many people have bothered to go through all the steps to make it work though. It's not that hard. I've played with whomever has shown up in #Wingnut to do it. BradMick was my toughest opponent. I wish more people would set it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
So there are people playing it. Good. I should do that some time. I was thinking about playing Armada again in other to play both sides of the single player version.

Are you still playing with the good old keyboard?

Back