Where would you start?

terroshak

Spaceman
Having finally got more than ten minutes spare since I last rebuilt my PC, I have re-installed all my Wing Commander games, and am now left with the dilemma - Where to start?

Should I go all Mark Hamill and start with WC3? But then every time I go into the Kilrathi Saga launcher I see WC1 and 2 waiting to seduce me.
Prophecy was the last thing I played before my PC went belly up in the autumn (fall) so should I head for Secret Ops?

Or should I take on one of the new remakes? Privateer Gold maybe, or try Stand-Off?

I'd love to play them all at once, but sadly occasionally I have to go to work. :(

So pretend you've never played before, or have spent a long time away and give me your thoughts. Where would you start?
 

Needaham45

Spaceman
I'm one for chronology, so I would start at the beginning and go all the way to the end, however, if there are games that you haven't played such as Secret Ops or UE and Standoff, I would go to those before replaying anything else.
 
I almost don't dare to admit it, but I guess I'd start with WC3. I simply used to, let's say, acceptable grafics... I really have to be in some kind of nostalgic mood to play WC2 or WC3... It's kind of strange. I have the best memories on those two games and I'd really like to feel like I did when I played them for the first time. But whenever I try it isn't the same at all..... very sad!!!
 

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
If I was able to start my virtual pilot career over, I'd definitely start with WC1. Either the original or, if the graphics are too "dated" for you (for shame :p) try Super Wing Commander.

Personally, I got my start almost twelve years ago with WCII and have no real regrets.
 

terroshak

Spaceman
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Martini Doctor, I'm tempted to do the same, start at WC3 and enjoy the "movie effect". But if I can get nostalgic enough I might go back further.

Hi Bob, "Super Wing Commander"? That's only for Mac or 3DO right? I've got a mac, but have no idea where to buy it from, never seen it on Ebay, only the 3do version. Is it playable on emulator? I've seen screenshots and they look pretty cool.

I'd really love to see a nice OGL or D3D port of WC1 or 2. That'd be amazing. I'm not a total graphics whore by any means, but WC1 & 2 even in KS just seem a little too blocky for today. :)
 

d3r3k

Spaceman
terroshak said:
I'd really love to see a nice OGL or D3D port of WC1 or 2. That'd be amazing. I'm not a total graphics whore by any means, but WC1 & 2 even in KS just seem a little too blocky for today. :)

A lot of people have suggested something like that before, but there isn't as much demand for it as you would think. I think you should start with WC1 or 2. WC2 is my personal favorite.
 

Alch

Spaceman
Start with the WC1 man, and play them chronologically if you have the time to. I think you will follow the storyline much better doing so!

In fact, I also started WC1 expecting to go through to Standoff about 10/2005 and I don't regret it at all!! :D Though I'm still playing Secret Missions 2 (you know, one job, two kids, no time & so on ...)
 

terroshak

Spaceman
Hi d3r3k. I thought VegaStrike was going to be just that, but then it seemed to veer away from it at the last minute. And what about the Privateer Remake? Are there more difficult licencing issues with WC1 and 2 over Privateer that would stop such a remake, or is Priv just that much more popular?

Alch, I totally sympathise with the too much work, not enough time. :) The majority so far suggests go for WC1 and work through. Better start rearranging my desk so I can sit further back from the monitor so i don't notice the jagged lines so much. hehe.

Is it opening a new can of worms to ask if people think continuity, ie. WC1,2,3,4 etc, or game release order, WC1&2 then Priv then 3,4 then Priv2. ???
 

d3r3k

Spaceman
terroshak said:
Hi d3r3k. I thought VegaStrike was going to be just that, but then it seemed to veer away from it at the last minute. And what about the Privateer Remake? Are there more difficult licencing issues with WC1 and 2 over Privateer that would stop such a remake, or is Priv just that much more popular?

There is no licensing involved. People just decided what fan projects they want to make. It seems that Privateer fan projects have been more popular.
 
Bob McDob said:
Either the original or, if the graphics are too "dated" for you (for shame :p) try Super Wing Commander.

I'd so like to, but I don't see any chance to get it cheap. I wasn't able to find Super WC on ebay-Germany and if I buy it in the states I pay three times more for the shipping than for the game... :( so I propably won't do it...
 

terroshak

Spaceman
Martini Doctor, Have you tried Ebay UK? There are always a couple of 3DO versions of SWC on there for not more than £10 including postage. (About 30DM? I can't remember the exchange rate!). Postage within Europe should be fairly small. Of course you'd be faced with it not working "quite" right with FreeDO, but it's better than nothing. As for the Mac version, I'd love to have a copy but looks impossible to find.
 
terroshak said:
Martini Doctor, Have you tried Ebay UK? There are always a couple of 3DO versions of SWC on there for not more than £10 including postage. (About 30DM? I can't remember the exchange rate!). Postage within Europe should be fairly small. Of course you'd be faced with it not working "quite" right with FreeDO, but it's better than nothing. As for the Mac version, I'd love to have a copy but looks impossible to find.

I can't even remember the rate from DM to EURO... but I'll follow your advice. I didn't know that one need's DOS to run SWC. I guess dosbox or anything will work...

There seem to be some WC1 remake projects. Flight commander and AFAIK, the wcu guys are working on one WC1 remake too. But I guess they'll need some time to get it playable...
 

Alch

Spaceman
terroshak said:
Is it opening a new can of worms to ask if people think continuity, ie. WC1,2,3,4 etc, or game release order, WC1&2 then Priv then 3,4 then Priv2. ???

I cast my vote for continuity (Maybe playing WC3 & Priv in parallel)
 
About 18 months ago I decided to replay all of the games. I haven't made tons of progress, but I chose to play them in order. I'd recommend that approach to you. Continuity makes all of the difference.
 

terroshak

Spaceman
Okay. I know £ to €. (1 euro= 0.65 pounds sterling) I just forgot that Germany had gone Euro. Silly me.

2 copies of SWC for 3DO on ebay.co.uk. Should probably close around 15-20euros for those in europe.
 
Top