Where should we discuss the WCPedia?

Vinman

Vice Admiral
I'm not sure where to post questions about the WCPedia, and writing in the talk pages of individual pages isn't a very good way to carry on a discussion beyond the precise topic at hand.

Lets start with discussing it here in the Wing Commander forum. If it gets to be too much we'll open a new forum and move all the Wingkipedia posts there.

I'm not sure if I should post this here or start a new page but I was wondering about adding things that are not "in universe". I know the rules say that everything has to be in universe but there are a lot of things that I believe need to be included that can't be added.

Some examples:

An entry for each of the games. I would like to be able to click on "Wing Commander" and learn not just the games storyline but also its release date, all of its ports and the differences between them, and all other useful info.

Info on the failed WC projects. I know a little about things like Privateer Online and the Privateer tv show but I'd like to see everything we know preserved on one easy to view page.

Behind the scenes and development info might be nice too. For instance a page about EA's involvement with WC might be useful to point to the next time some dummy starts saying "EA killed WC".

Maybe we could create a real world category or something?

Anyway. Thoughts? Suggestions? Want to tell me to shut up?:D

The Background, Articles and Archives sections already have that information. The focus for the encyclopedia should be on in-universe entries.

The Background, Articles and Archives sections already have that information. The focus for the encyclopedia should be on in-universe entries.

Yeah o.k. good point. Besides there's so much in universe stuff to add to the WCPedia right now it was crazy of me to try and add more work to it when we haven't even scratched the surface of the in universe info.

Still a lot to be done on this project guys...

A good amount has been added but we still have a ton to go.

As we've all spammed before in a tough situation "Help me out here!" C 5 5 5 5 :)

I just finished filling out Gemini Sector, at least, all the systems with planets or bases. Should I keep going with unihabited systems?

Also, I was going over the maps and noticed that there are two systems called Midgard, one in Gemini and one in Epsilon.
Still a lot to be done on this project guys...

A good amount has been added but we still have a ton to go.

As we've all spammed before in a tough situation "Help me out here!" C 5 5 5 5 :)

I'm kind of waiting for LOAF to put his knowledge to work.

If anyone needs wiki help, feel free to ask, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty good.

Wikipedia has an excellent help section and their cheatsheet is a good resource.

Things seem to be going well but I think someone needs to add specs on the Arena Broadswords before everyone has time to forget that the data needs to be added.

I hate to add more work, but I have a request for whoever has created the templates. We need one for capships. I don't know how much information is relevant, especially since measurements don't remain consistent throughout the series, particularly with regards to maneuverability.

I'm back (to this project)! If somebody can brief me on how everything's been going, I'll get to work.

Some big dents have been made in stellar cartography, although Characters, ships and other sections are in need of some content.

I continue to work on Bondarevsky's entry slowly, but surely.

I'm back (to this project)! If somebody can brief me on how everything's been going, I'll get to work.

The Broadsword and Dralthi entries need the data for the Arena variants added and I think the Dralthi mk.2 has the wrong guns listed. The entry lists 2 lasers and 1 mass driver as it's guns but it's supposed to be 2 mass drivers and no lasers if I remember right.

New tactic!

Lets start from the beginning - as though we were playing Wing Commander for the very first time - and develope the Winkipedia up from there. That is to say, we'll incorporate everything we can from Claw Marks and then we'll move on to the blueprints and then the original game and then The Secret Missions and so forth in that fashion. When we get to Arena, we'll... all be very old (but satisfied).

I think the trick here is just getting the first several chunks under our belts... once we start building entries like 'Tiger's Claw' and 'Kilrathi' one piece at a time, they won't seem so daunting.

To this end I have created our first 'goal' - a temporary page linking to every possible term I could pull out of WC1's Claw Marks: https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Claw_Marks_TEMP

If you can think of anything else, add it to the list... otherwise start filling those links in! It was a pleasure to see that a handfull of them were already 'blue' when I entered the article.

If you don't have your own Claw Marks you can find a copy online here: http://claw.solsector.net/ (watch for spelling, though, it's fan-transcribed and is poorly edited).

We're also going to need new scans from CM... the old lower resolution ones won't do. If anyone feels like scanning all the art in Claw Marks, go ahead - otherwise I'll do it as soon as I can pick up a neat new scanner.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of things.

First off, I have a request: be aware that information in the old encylopedia is not always in past tense, and if you are copying information over from the old encyclopedia, please make sure that the information you post in the wcpedia is past tense.

Second, a lot of pages are being created as place holders. It looks nice to have a lot of pages, but when they are blank, I think we're better off not having them.

Third, a lot of pages don't conform to the established wcpedia style. I'm going through them, adding formatting, categories and links as well as doing a little bit of rewriting, but please try to match the established style in the future.

Fourth, when referring to a pilot, please use their last name rather than their callsign.

Finally, we have two pages on Angel, so we need to get rid of one.

Second, a lot of pages are being created as place holders. It looks nice to have a lot of pages, but when they are blank, I think we're better off not having them.

I haven't seen this so much - a lot of pages just don't have much information... but they never will. 'Jeff George' isn't mentioned other than his credit in Claw Marks. Still, this fits with my new plan, building up pages going across the series rather than adding them whole.

Fourth, when referring to a pilot, please use their last name rather than their callsign.

Agreed, although note that this will not *always* be possible - since there are many pilots who we know by callsign alone (ie, Turtle). We should have an order of precedence for this - last name, first name, callsign.

Finally, we have two pages on Angel, so we need to get rid of one.

The new one was me spelling her first name wrong.

--

Okay, here's one for my part - we should consider having some kind of 'LAST UPDATED' or 'AS OF' brick which explains what the last source a character appeared in was. Especially when characters are being referred to by rank - it seems reasonable to know *when* they held that rank.

Back