Where Hath Origin Gone?

Vondoom I can't really see where you are coming from, you've got to admit that real people add something to the games and had prophecy simply compromised and gone with 3d rendered backgrounds it could easily have supported a fuller plot.

Let's see where did I say that it didn't add anything. Hmm, that's funny, my posts say that I'd love to have WC4 level of story, sets, and actors. Not once did I say that FMV would not be ideal. The problem is that the world is not IDEAL. WCP had its script torn to shreds by EA because of budget. That means expensive FMV. There are tons of ways, animation, in-game cutscenes (ala Dues Ex), 3D rendered, and in-mission storylines. And the 3D backgrounds will not drop the cost nearly as much as you think. I need LOAF for this one (shudders at uttering those words :) ) LOAF, how much did WCP cost, any figures on that compared to WC3/4? And as for WC2, we got to see what the characters were actually like and they did much more than play cards. Does the name Spirit ring a bell? I'd take WC2 over every other WC game except maybe WC4 going on story alone. You don't need B-actors too make a good story. If Origin could do FMV and a high quality story I would love that more than anything, but with WCP an example of EA's cost cutting schemes, then an alternative must be found.

But don't you think that all of the alternatives you mentioned would be a step back? If you consider WCI - IV I think you'll agree that all were ground breaking in some manner. I just can't see the next WC game doing that. I want to see another WC game as much as the next person, but I want it to be GOOD!

Maybe what has happened is that Chris Roberts has set the bar too high. One of my disappointments with games like Freespace and I-War was that I couldn't get involved with the character(s). I mean, how deeply can you get immersed with a story from the cockpit? When I think about games like Halflife (which was pulled off very well) and then try to imagine WC in the same vein - shudder! I have been spoiled by the WCs. And yes, I do remember Spirit. It's been years since I last played WC2 but the thing I remember most was the card games - which did a lot to help us connect with the characters but I just can't see something like that working again.

Ground breaking yes, but you have to be realistic. WC2's story was just as good and involving to me as WC3's if not better (WC4 wins because of how well it was done and the actors, but we run into the money issue again there). And you are comparing how Half-life did story. Sorry, while the game was great and immersive there was no story to speak of. Deus Ex and System Shock, Fallout and Planescape Torment, these are games rich with story. If these games can have full rich storylines without FMV, so can WC. Unfort, if we ever do see another WC game, it will probably be heavily stripped of feeling due to EA, unless CR returned.

WC3 made huge amounts of money, the thing with WCIV's cutscenes was that they used real sets thus making them more expensive, I have no problem with Greenscreens. greenscreeen techniques will allow for lower cost while still allowing good quality movies.

Yes but I don't think they even spent as much money on FMV on WCP as they did WC3, also WC3 was hugely innovative. That is a good reason why the Space Sim market is hurting. There hasn't been any real innovative game since WC3. And if EA doesn't see the bucks coming in, they won't spend them either.

Originally posted by Vondoom
Ground breaking yes, but you have to be realistic. WC2's story was just as good and involving to me as WC3's if not better (WC4 wins because of how well it was done and the actors, but we run into the money issue again there).
And that brings us back to the origin of this current discussion - can you imagine using WC2 techniques for WC6? What worked then won't work now - I don't care how good the story. That was the point Pedro was trying to make - it would be a step back. Hopefully, someone can find a new technique to get the player connected to the characters in the story. Maybe no-name actors could cut down the cost (provided there is talent there) but am I the only one who bought C&C Red Alert2 because Kari Wuher was in it? Also, my reference to Halflife was not related to its story (or lack thereof) but to the immersion factor.

That is a good reason why the Space Sim market is hurting. There hasn't been any real innovative game since WC3.
Amen - actually I haven't played any flight sim or space sim game through to the end since WCIV. I always seem to lose interest. <Sigh> How many years is that? Although... I will finish Crimson Skies but again, it doesn't come close to WC.

Funny do you know that the original C&C game, its cast were also the people that made the Game?
Besides I dont think that would be a step down, I have seen Privatter (the 1st one, of course) images in higher resolutions in a site and they look great, Besides there are more ways to tell a story that using real actors in a real set FMV, a cartoon FMV would a step down? well that depends the way they would look like, if with very good resolution, fine with me.
Besides you want a new WC game or crying over the old ones?, if is only the cost of FMV that is stoping EA from givin a go ahead and there is a cheaper way to tell the story without the real actors in a real set FMV they sould do it.

there are many ways and I don;t care which way is used as long as the concept of story being just as important as gameplay is not sacraficed

If Prophecy did cost less than WC3 it was by a marginal amount, WC3 had reasonably big name actors in it and a full plot, few people will complain about the amount of FMV in WC3 so in answer to your question I do believe that blue/green/whatever/screen techniques do reduce the cost sufficently. I mean there is a lot of cost in animating high quality CG characters. Besides the quality of acting in Prophecy didn't bother me except for Casey, all the other characters were fine by me I'd just rather have not been playing a plebe :(

anyone but maniac. if i flew as maniac i would ram the midway to kill myself, such is my hatred of maniac. hes been torturing me for 5 games now...

Maniac is the comic relief in WC as such he cannot die, for then there would be no more fun. what I dont get is that Maniac had his own squadron in 2667 yet in all the games he never commands his own squadron until the Black Widows in 2681. that is 14 years, he must have screwed up bigtime

sorry but i dont find maniac funny. he just pisses me off. and the reason why he dont have a squadron is because he is a joker, a crap leader, and is too laid back. he had a sqadron in wc2, and then he was colonel aboard a ship between wc4 and proph (i think this is true, i dont know) then was demoted when moved to midway. he should be 2nd lt again then see what kind of treatment he gets

LOL, yea but he is almost 50 that kind of demotion could ruin his confidence during battle. Also while he might be an a**hole he still gets more kills than any other pilot other than your character

You can kill maniac, but then again you can't miss him. He just is so stupid sometimes, you gotta learn to "love" him.

Originally posted by Dragon
I have seen Privateer (the 1st one, of course) images in higher resolutions in a site and they look great

Eh? How would they do that, and where'd you find them?

Also, I don't hate Maniac, but if others do... well, I guess he's just one of those characters that are part of the package. He's the one you 'love to hate' idea.

the site http://members.nbci.com/smaruska/ have some screen shoots that are (since they are smaller) in a higher resolution.
Its not the game in higher resolution but It can give a image of what look like if they put some work in that.
A good site about the first Privatter unfortunaty it does not cover RF.

Back