Where Hath Origin Gone?

C. Roberts and a new WC game

Could it be? Would C. Roberts not be interested in making a new WC game or continue the series? Oh my! Say it isnt so!!
I would hope this is not the case. Im shure that he went thru alot of trouble with EA and OSI when he left. I cant see why EA and OSI wouldnt let him continue the way he wanted, after all, its his baby. Can you see someone else other than George Lucas making Star Wars? Nope. If there ever is another WC game, C. Roberts without a doubt would be highly involved! I cant imagine anyone else doing it. Unless whoever does make a new WC game does some real heavy consulting with C. Roberts. I like the idea that everyone in the WC community gather up and support a new company to continue WC with Roberts at the helm. But Im shure he has thought about an idea like this, but with support from everyone in the WC community, and the right kind of promotion, it might be a workable thing. Does Mr. Roberts visit the CIC forums? Id like to hear what he would have to say about an idea like this. Make it a WC internet community effort. (wishfull thinking?)

RFBurns

"I say, would you kindly identify yourself?" [Salmon Kroits, Privateer]

The only problem with your Lucas annalagy is that Lucas's last StarWars attempt was worse for Star Wars than Prophesy was for Wing Commander. both were reasonably enjoyable but niether were anygood compared to the rest of the series

Re: C. Roberts and a new WC game

Originally posted by RFBurns
Could it be? Would C. Roberts not be interested in making a new WC game or continue the series? Oh my! Say it isnt so!!
I think it's definitely possible - come on, the guy was doing WC games since 1990 and how many were there? If you count them up (WC1, SM1/2, WC2, SO1/2, WC3, WC4, WCP, Priv) that's 10 games based in the same universe! Can any other series boast that number? The only one(s) I can think of are the Kings Quest,Heroes Quest, and Mechwarrior games but they fall short of the numbers WC posted. He might have been ready to move on - which is probably what he would tell us to do.
Can you see someone else other than George Lucas making Star Wars? Nope. If there ever is another WC game, C. Roberts without a doubt would be highly involved! I cant imagine anyone else doing it. Unless whoever does make a new WC game does some real heavy consulting with C. Roberts.
I agree with you whole-heartedly on the Star Wars movies - but remember that the entire Star Wars story was conceived by Lucas many many years ago. Look at all the relatively successful Star Wars and Star Trek books based on those universes and written other than the creator. Roberts did the same thing when he created the WC Universe. The universe can continue without Roberts. It won't be easy, but it can be done - maybe even better.

Originally posted by Napoleon
The only problem with your Lucas annalagy is that Lucas's last StarWars attempt was worse for Star Wars than Prophesy was for Wing Commander. both were reasonably enjoyable but niether were anygood compared to the rest of the series

Ya, it was kinda blah, but interesting. But I just cant see another game company without consulting C. Roberts making a WC game that will have the same feel of WC, or the feel of the series. I know that the game StarLancer was sort of a WC game, but it did not give me the feel of the WC universe.
I loaded it up, played it a few minutes, and took it off. It just didnt have that WC feel to it. Much like FS, played it a few missions and unloaded it. My free space on the hard drive longs for a new WC game to occupy it!

RFBurns

"Stop stalling and save that freighter dammit!" [Masterson, Privateer]

Originally posted by RFBurns
"Stop stalling and save that freighter dammit!" [Masterson, Privateer]

Touchy, touchy... :)

BTW, whether Mr Roberts wants the WC license or not, there is no way EA or OSI will sell it to a 'intenet community'. We just don't have the money.

Chris Roberts is sort of undecided on whether or not he'd like to try to do another WC game we hear. Further, a new WC game could theoretically not have all the movie stuff.. as that kind of stuff is done very poorly by practically every game that tries and costs a lot of money. The companies just don't like it anymore.

Yes but it wasn't much in WCP. Without the money to get at least halfway decent actors it simply isn't worth it. I'd rathter see good 3D(I'm talking FF Quality) or animated with very good voice actors and better qualities. With FMV and a limited budget you get Blair having a cheesy faceoff against a bug, If all animated or good CG, you can have awesome battles and have better actors working for less money. If I have to choose between CG or animation with more story or FMV with a crappy plot, I'll go with the plot every time. The story is what is important.

FF style computer generated animation must cost more than using WC3 techniques for filming. and that game proved that a huge profit can be made if you don't listen to the stupid reviewers saying "don't use green screens" or even better all those STUPID people who aren't wingnuts who say "get rid of any form of the movies I want a game not a movie" well to both of them all I can say is EEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. I don't need those people ruining MY WC

My point is, use whatever will give you the most story for the buck. Planescape has almost no cutscenes (nor does Fallout, gotta love Black Isle) and most of their story is simply text based (granted I wouldn't have minded full voiceovers). I want story with my WC games otherwise they are just another space sim like Starlancer. I'll take WC2 over WCP any day.

I couldn't step backwards from real live actors, the sets yes but I just find CG characters so cheesy :) I mean they worked in the resident evil games because they were supposed to be cheesy and they worked in FF because it is surreal but to introduce them into a series which is so compelling largely because it is so believeable which has already had high quality actors would be a mistake IMO.

Yes and look at the swiss cheese story done in WCP because they wanted to save money. WC is about the story as much as the gameplay and WCP simply didn't have the story because they didn't have the money to film all those cutscenes.

WCP had a lot more problems than the story or actors - but that is/has been discussed in other threads. I agree with Pedro - CG characters can come out looking pretty weak. When I played the two Jedi games (first w/ live actor cutscenes, second w/ CG) I was disappointed - the live actors did add something to the mix. I'm not sure how I would react to a CG game now that I have played WCIII/IV - I must be spoiled. One thing I would like them to do away with is the multiple branching storyline. Two branches is the most I want to handle. Have less branches and convert the time that would have been spent making them into making the existing story longer.

JK had horrible cutscenes, what are you talking about??? Are we talking about the wonderful aliens like the one who Han Solo shot in the movie. Oh yeah, that cheap pullover mask sure impressed me. A hero who looked like someone had drawn on fuzz to make him look more mature. The CG villians were the best looking ones in the game, the real people looked like jokes. Listen I would prefer WC4 level of actors and sets and story, but money will only really pay for one of those, two if we are lucky. Story must come first, then whatever else you can manage.

Come on V' you've gotta give a little - sure maybe they weren't Star Wars (or WCIV) movie quality but (considering that the game was made by a Lucas company) they weren't THAT bad! I did like the cutscenes in JK at least much better than those in the sequel. Sure the story must come first that's a given, but I'll wager that that part of the production is the cheapest when compared to the whole. I think that the cutscenes play a major role in advancing the story and making the player WANT to continue the game. The better the cutscenes, the more immersion.

Jedi Knight has had no sequel. And yes they were that bad. There was not a single decent actor at all in JK. You also don't seem to understand that WC3's cutscenes alone cost 3-4 million (though considerably less than WC4's 11-12 million) but that is still outragous. There are tons of medium that can convey the story well and they should use whatever gives us the most story for the buck. They already tried FMV on a limited budget and we got a hacked up storyline in WCP. If they can't do a decent story on WCP's budget then they need to try another medium that is cheaper.

JK was a sequel from Dark Forces, The full name is Star Wars Dark Forces II, Jedi Knight. It did had a expancion pack, but since Lucas Arts were making the Episode 1 after that....

Oh, the expansion pack is what he's talking about, OK. Got it. Yes it's cutscenes were pretty crappy but take a look at in game cutscenes like Deus Ex and Metal Gear Solid.

I'll grant you that the acting in JK wasn't stellar - but it wasn't the worst I've seen in a game (or a TV show or movie for that matter). Okay, when you say "tons of medium" - name some besides FMV and computer generated characters. The main thing wrong with the FMV on WCP was the story. FMV is there to aid the story, not the other way around as you seem to suggest. And remember that most of the main characters appeared in WCIII and/or WCIV. I mean come on, the cutscenes in WC2 were mainly Blair playing cards with other pilots which was great at the time but I think the gaming community has come a long way since then.

Back