Where are You?

? A national speciality? A kind of Hot Dog or Hamburger (wanting without being able to, to imagine what should be meant with it:)). And I seem to be one more time the only who doesn't know...

Poutine=
Originally posted by RATM
mix of fries, gravy and cheese
I don't know how to describe gravy to Fishbone, but Supdon, you must know what I'm talking about, you're American! :)
Hot Dog poutine = chopped hot dog in a
Originally posted by RATM
mix of fries, gravy and cheese
Gravy is a kind of sauce, the cheese is melted on top of the fries, then chopped hot dog is added.
Grrrr, you got me hungry!

Get it now? :)

[Edited by mpanty on 06-07-2001 at 17:12]

Well i guess it depends on what kind of gravy it is. Cause i like cheese fries. And i like hot dogs. I like ketchup with my fries and on my hot dogs.

Originally posted by Supdon3
but is the gravy a kind of tomato sauce? like on spaghetti or pizza?
Erm... I thought you would know ! It must be a Canadian kind of thing...

It's... basically, from what I remember, it's melted fat (the kind of fat you get from beef, not from Fight Club) with some oil maybe, and spices.

Here, I even did some research for you: :)

http://www.realgoodfood.com/gravy.html
http://www.gravy.com/index.html

[Edited by mpanty on 06-07-2001 at 17:28]

Ah, its GRAVY gravy. Theres lots of different things that can be considered gravy. Like Italians consider sauce to be gravy. But now that you have specified, i know what it is. Ive never heard of Poutine, with or without hotdogs.

And once again thats disgusting.

I didnt thats why i was confused as to why you didnt know that. I my dad's side of the family are a bunch of Italians and they arent they only ones I've heard that from.

Ehm... ok, lemme get this straight...

In Italy, "gravy" does not exist... there may be a "sauce" that looks like gravy, and has the ingredients of gravy in it, but we don't call it "gravy", hence what you said (if I interpret your words right), we call it just "sauce".

Now if on your Dad's side of the family, they call tomato sauce "gravy", then they don't deserve to be Italians! ;)

Whoa whoa whoa there. Watch it there buddy. :)

Anyway, so what we call gravy you call sauce, and what we call tomato sauce you call tomato sauce, but you dont call tomato sauce gravy, and gravy doesnt exist at all in Italy...

Originally posted by Supdon3
or if you do have gravy (what else do you eat a turkey with?) you call it sauce?
Well I'll surprise you: we don't eat turkey very often, turkey is a typical American dish. Most of Europe does not eat Turkey the way you Americans do.
In fact, in my family I've hardly eaten turkey in my entire life... <G>

We do eat chicken a lot, though.
Mmmmmhhh! Roasted chicken with potatoes! :)
And no sauce with the chicken, my mom just uses spices and sometimes a zest of orange or lemon.

We also eat "faraona", "pintade" in French, a kind of lady-turkey if you will... with mascarpone sauce (some kind of dairy product), bacon and olive oil. It's the bomb!
This is confusing [/B]
No, this is confusing:
B]
Anyway, so what we call gravy you call sauce, and what we call tomato sauce you call tomato sauce, but you dont call tomato sauce gravy, and gravy doesnt exist at all in Italy... [/B]
:)

Kris, or anyone else, please don't close this thread for drifting to culinary topics.
This could be an occasion to discuss typical Kilrathi dishes! Do we know anything about those?

[Edited by mpanty on 06-07-2001 at 18:35]

This could be an occasion to discuss typical Kilrathi dishes! Do we know anything about those?

Hmm... I can't think of much other than the conversations Hobbes has in FF...

TC

Back