When real life imitates Wing Commander

intra = inside an object
inter = among objects

so intrastellar conflict = conflict among our planets. i.e. mars vs earth. (inside our solar system : stellar)

i saw on this discovery show that the odds of an alien race existing that is as intelligent as us or more, is 100%

the odds of it existing at the same time as we do, are a lot smaller (donno the number).

and the odds of them existing at the same time as we, and finding us, are near nonexistant.

this was apparently taking into account growth/change rates of all we know, and the number of stars we can tell exist, etc.

-scheherazade

Originally posted by scheherazade
intra = inside an object
inter = among objects

so intrastellar conflict = conflict among our planets. i.e. mars vs earth. (inside our solar system : stellar)

Stellar is to do with stars, not star systems. Therefore intrastellar would be inside a star.

i saw on this discovery show that the odds of an alien race existing that is as intelligent as us or more, is 100%

the odds of it existing at the same time as we do, are a lot smaller (donno the number).

and the odds of them existing at the same time as we, and finding us, are near nonexistant.

this was apparently taking into account growth/change rates of all we know, and the number of stars we can tell exist, etc.

But this is entirely conjecture... nobody knows...

stellar ~ solar system (in this context)

dont nitpick, you know very well what i mean.

its merely understood that 'interstellar conflict' is conflict between races from one star system and another. living on planets in those systems, not on the very stars themselves. othewise interstellar conflict would be 'stars fighting with each other'...

besides, who uses inter-solarsystem or intra-solarsystem. its just understood.

that section of the post was concerning this comment : "Proper term is intrasteller conflict", since it was clearly a misuse of intra/inter, as opposed to steller (cause thats just what people use). so i clarified the 'inter' vs. 'intra' aspect to whomever might not know.

-scheherazade

i'm sure some rules apply. mainly limits. if you have infinte time, even the least likely thing will happen. i'm sure people concerned with the matter have some data to base thair assumptions on. otherwise everything besides 'whats already happened' is conjecture. even weather or not someone at a shooting range is gonna fire a gun. you _know_ its really likely they will, but untill they do, its all assumption... so sensibility applies. if they have good reason to believe something, let them believe. as long as its not serving some political agenda its likely to have some sense behind it.

Originally posted by scheherazade
stellar ~ solar system

dont nitpick, you know very well what i mean.

its merely understood that 'interstellar conflict' is conflict between races from one star system and another. living on planets in those systems, not on the very stars themselves. othewise interstellar conflict would be 'stars fighting with each other'...

Of course that's how it's understood... that's what it means... it's a war that happens between, or among the stars... Interstellar can be used for anything that happens between or among multiple stars, it doesn't need to actually involve the stars... Just like intercontinental trade is any trade that happens between multiple continents. The land masses themselves aren't actually trading...

i was referring to the use of intra vs inter, not stellar.

besides, who uses inter-solarsystem or intra-solarsystem. its just understood.

I don't think anyone says intrastellar either... since it's really not the right word. Interplanetary would be the more standard expression...

thats prespectives.

intra-stellar ~ inter-planetary

unless the planets are from other solar systems

but then it would be labelled inter-stellar.

glass half full / half empty.

-scheherazade

Wouldn't it be funny, if in about 60 years, Earth is united under the banner of "The Terran Confederation" :D

By the way, I didn't mean to upset anyone with my "stinking rock" comment, it was only an attempt to express my udder disgust with NASA's namby pamby marking time and general lack of progress in actual manned space exploration.

I mean, Holy Cow! No one's left Earth orbit in almost 30 years. What's it take to boldly go forth again?

We have the resources, and the technology, just not the WILL to get it on.

I still say there's better uses for those resources here. Don't get me wrong, I love the thought of space travel (I read all about it and astronomy in general as a kid), but there are more important things to look after on terra firma.

Back