When real life imitates Wing Commander

I've known about the Ion Drive project for ages. Haven't heard anything for a while. Still quite intresting

Hmmm I ll check it out , if it is so interesting indeed maybe we should put it in the current news :p

The first probe using such "ion engines" was launched in 1998 (Deep Space 1) in order to test this technology in real conditions.

Since then, 2 or 3 other probes with such engine were launched and very soon (maybe next year, I don't remember very well), some telecommunication satellites will use mini-ion engines to hold their orbit.

Wow, real life does imitate Wing Commander. What will NASA create next?
I know, how about the very first U.S. Airforce Broadsword bomber? Or Rapier? Or how about the U.S.S. Tiger's Claw? That would be cool.

I wouldn't say that NASA or any other space agency imitates WC, but rather that they may sometimes draw ideas or inspiration from science fiction in general. [And vice versa for sci-fi games, of course.]

Originally posted by Wedge009
I wouldn't say that NASA or any other space agency imitates WC, but rather that they may sometimes draw ideas or inspiration from science fiction in general. [And vice versa for sci-fi games, of course.]

Not quite: NASA (and all of us) can thank the like of Jules Verne that we even have a space program. It all started (in earnest) there. As Thomas Edison (I believe) once said:

"If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants"

True, dat.... :)

NASA is marking time. They're 20 years behind schedule. There should have already been a moon base, a REAL space station, not this tinker toy make-work thing they're playing with, and not just manned missions to Mars, but the beginnings of the Mars colony by now. We're going to be stuck on this stinking rock forever at the rate we're going.

Where did you hear all this stuff? Perhaps they're 'behind' because they don't have the funds and/or resources to create all this technology to achieve these objectives? And what's wrong with dear old Earth? If you don't like it, you should look for someplace else to live. :/

Where did you hear all this stuff? Perhaps they're 'behind' because they don't have the funds and/or resources to create all this technology to achieve these objectives? And what's wrong with dear old Earth? If you don't like it, you should look for someplace else to live. :/

I heard it (read it, really) 'way back when I was a kid and we were up to Apollo 9 and there was this big write up in a magazine or newspaper or something about where we were going with the space program. We have the funds, resources and technology, not the will.

And what's wrong with Earth? I'm glad you asked. Nothing. It's a great place to START OUT from. But man was not meant to stay on this tiny speck in this vast universe. All our history from the beginning is to leave where we are, to go forth, to explore, to see new worlds. To return with amazing stories of strange new things. To go farther the next time. To fail and go forth again, undaunted. Not to tuck our tails and cringe in the corner.

Perhaps you should write to your senator, then, Ripper :p. It's not NASA's fault that their budget keeps shrinking.

Clearly Wedge doesn´t have Faith Of The Heart. :(

The Book of Genesis chapter 11:1-9 depicts how GOD got upset when Man wouldn't fulfill the mandate 'to spread around the Earth', and instead they stayed and gathered together to build a tower of that symbolize their Pride.

"We'll make our own stairway to heaven..."

Isn't that what I just said?

Um, no.

To imitate IS to "draw from", and to draw from, one must, to some degree, imitate.

Your statement painted the two as mutually exclusive, when in fact, there's considerable overlap between 'em...

Originally posted by TheFraix
The Book of Genesis chapter 11:1-9 depicts how GOD got upset when Man wouldn't fulfill the mandate 'to spread around the Earth', and instead they stayed and gathered together to build a tower of that symbolize their Pride.

"We'll make our own stairway to heaven..."

That quote could be taken the opposite way. God punished the builders of the Tower of Babel for their arrogance in trying to build a tower to the heavens. Some would take this to mean that Man is NOT meant to reach for the stars.

Back