Whazzzzzup

Wingnut

Spaceman
Our they making a new wing commander game?
I'm totally hozzzzed
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
No, they are not making another WC game, at least not for now...
frown.gif

Origin is concetrating only on ultima-online now...

------------------
Well, its classified... i mean, i could tell you, but then i have to kill you...

I think we should take, like, turns in answering these newbie questions. Something like guard duty or something, where the higher your rank, the less you have to perform the task. What say?
cool.gif

Good idea, Mad Hatter. Being a colonel, I wouldn't have to do it much, either.
smile.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Guys, regardless of the ranking issues...
I'd be willing to bet that anyone on this forum including myself would be willing to pay a premium for a sequel to wc prophecy or the like.
I can't comment Ultima I don't have it and don't want it..
I think origin took the wrong jumppoint (jmho).
frown.gif

There may be several people willing to pay 'premium' but the fact is there is probably not enough of them, and Origin doesn't feel like developing single player games at the moment.

It`s not a matter of not wanting a new WC game, Wingnut. It`s just that every 3rd or 4th topic starts with this question, and to be honest people are really getting tired of this question, and it leads sometimes, to some unfriendly responses to the question.

I think that ranks of "major" and up wouldn`t have to answer these questions at all.
smile.gif

Only if the game was multiplayer would I buy it.Ive bought every game in the series.Was very disappointed in in the last release even if it was a free download.

Why wouldn't you buy a SP game? Besides, what could you expect from a free game? And SO wasn't really meant to move the series along. It wasn't an add-on, but neither a new full release. Think of it as Prophecy 2, something to give us some flying time before the next game was released.

I liked SO, it's gameplay was great and more challenging than Prophecy, and I never expected it to have much of a story considering that it was free and distributed originaly as a download.

Before the next game? Have you heard anything
about a sequel?

Most people were disappointed in SO, they were expecting multiplayer.I read an article once that basically said it was too difficult to get it into multiplayer at that time.LOL obviously they never saw Xwing vs Tie fighter's expansion pack

There won't be any new WC games in the near future.

Besides, you get a game for free and expect MP? Why should OSI bother with spending even more money on the game if they're releasing it for free.

About MP. Have you ever tried a game called Freespace online? Not only is it's MP code prety unstable, it's also practicly unplayable on 56K modems, which is what most people had at the time that game was released, which was about the same time as SO.

Ive actually tried Freespace, it was a WC ripoff.It was put out hastily.Had they taken their time it could of been more stable.They didnt put much time into any of the Freespace series. And like I said Lucas did a better job with multiplayer,with his add on pack he made a multiplayer campaign game that was awesome. As far as spending money on a free download they should of started working on WC 6 instead.

That's the point. The Freespace games didn't have a good MP. FS took over two years to make IIRC and it's MP wasn't any good, if Origin wanted Prophecy or Secret Ops to have MP, they would be faced with similar problems as that game. Prophecy would have to be pushed back and released couple months too late with tons of fans screaming and bitching.

They could have some other projects that were being produced at the same time. Instead, they decided to give a small reward for their fans, while at the same time conducting an experiment on distributing games through the internet.

And SO didn't exactly take that much time to finsh. They had the engine, and most of the models, so basicly all they had to do was make missions, while they have started working on the now cancelled Privateer Online sometime around 1999.

Prophecy would have to be pushed back and released couple months too late with tons of fans screaming and bitching.
Oh yeah, I agree completely. Like the way Diablo fans were constantly bitching and screaming about the Diablo II delays, eh?

Seriously, that's BS. Most fans prefer to wait a bit longer and get an awesome product rather than just get a reasonably good product there and then.

Ive actually tried Freespace, it was a WC ripoff.It was put out hastily.Had they taken their time it could of been more stable.
Hey, I think NASA's Apollo program is also a WC ripoff... after all, it involves spaceships
smile.gif
I'm sorry, I'm just in a somewhat sarcastic mood right now. Still, Freespace was in no way a WC ripoff. If anything, it was an X-Wing/TIE-Fighter ripoff (but personally, I don't think it was a ripoff of anything).

Quarto said:
Oh yeah, I agree completely. Like the way Diablo fans were constantly bitching and screaming about the Diablo II delays, eh?
Diablo fans were bitching... especially after the first patch for the game was released like half a year before the game shiped. Fans thought that their game was just around the corner and than they have to wait againt.

Seriously, that's BS. Most fans prefer to wait a bit longer and get an awesome product rather than just get a reasonably good product there and then.
Yeah, and what if MP didn't work? What if a new space sim was released with better graphics that would make Prophecy look alsmost as old as WC1? Would Prophecy still be awsome. There's nothing that guarantees that a game that's under development longer will be better. Just look at Daikatana.
smile.gif

I'm sorry, I'm just in a somewhat sarcastic mood right now. Still, Freespace was in no way a WC ripoff. If anything, it was an X-Wing/TIE-Fighter ripoff (but personally, I don't think it was a ripoff of anything).
But you can't argue, it's MP was simply put bad.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited October 09, 2000).]

I have several of these games that you're talking about, freespace, independence war,
Homeworld, and few others these are good but they all lack something that wing commander has whether it's the gameplay or movie.
I don't know we're SO fits in was it originally for prophecy or was it a fill-in for the end.
anotherwords they started it then drop it for another project?.
SO wasn't free for me, I bought it!.
Sorry to open up old war wounds with this topic. Very touchy topic I see.
Perhaps another year will see what happens.

I'd suggest dropping the versus topic this thread is heading into.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

Well, it's not quite turning into a vs. topic, TC, though your point is well taken.

Diablo fans were bitching... especially after the first patch for the game was released like half a year before the game shiped. Fans thought that their game was just around the corner and than they have to wait againt.
Ah, but when they saw what they were waiting for, all was forgiven
smile.gif
. I'm firmly in favour of companies taking as long as they need on new games, if only to reduce the number of patches (which, indeed, have no right to exist).

Yeah, and what if MP didn't work? What if a new space sim was released with better graphics that would make Prophecy look alsmost as old as WC1? Would Prophecy still be awsome.
Ah, but WCP still looks nice, even now
smile.gif
. And I fail to see why MP wouldn't work. At the least, they could have created a LAN mode. Worked in Armada...
There's nothing that guarantees that a game that's under development longer will be better. Just look at Daikatana.
smile.gif
I'd rather not look at it
wink2.gif
But you can't argue, it's MP was simply put bad.
I wouldn't know...
tongue.gif
Still, my point was just that I find it very irritating when people label every single space-sim out there a WC ripoff. There were other space-sims out there, before WC.

Back