What's Your Real Opinion About the Movie?

Maj.Striker said:
On a side note, I let my two younger cousins watch the movie and although they've never played any of the games they both thought the movie was quite good. I'm wondering if the WC dvd has sold better in stores than anticipated? Anyone know how to check its sales?

Some time ago I found intial figures for the US home video rental/sales revenue and those (for the first little while, and this is *JUST* the US) were in the nature of 30 million. You should be able to search the CIC news for the exact update but I don't have time before work.

AD said:
Some time ago I found intial figures for the US home video rental/sales revenue and those (for the first little while, and this is *JUST* the US) were in the nature of 30 million. You should be able to search the CIC news for the exact update but I don't have time before work.

http://www.imdb.com/Charts/video991003

2 1/2 months of release in the states netted the movie almost 20 million. That's only the US. The US gross (which includes Canada I believe) for the theatrical run was about 15 million IIRC. So any ticked sales, and DVD/VHS sales outside the US and Canada (this includes pretty much every non-region 1 disk) and any sales after Oct. 1999 aren't included either.

That puts us at 35M+ before half the world ever saw it.

That's the *rental* revenue -- it doesn't include DVD sales.

... and none of this is counting merchandise licensing.

Anyone have any clue what kind of fee HBO pays to play the move so often and in HD to boot?

Attachments

• wcdvd.jpg
    wcdvd.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 164
What?
A brazillian DVD? Awesome.
I would buy it again (I have the US one), but the wife wouldn't be too happy. It kinda sucks anyway, only fullscreen (4:3)

BTW, I was pretty let down with the movie when I first saw it, but now I think it is pretty decent. It is no worse than any regular Scifi flic from the last decade. It is no 2001, but it is better than 2010.

I liked the movie. The screening I went to was very interesting. A couple of old people and some high school students arguably skipping class.

Michael like Wing Commander very much!:D

Michael hate the movie though!:mad:

I'm afraid it made me cringe- from the redesigned ships to the new uniforms (desicration). I didn't like the submarine feel to the movie either.:eek:

The Pilgrim plot was put in to add depth- I'd never come across this in WC before and found it silly. The kilrathi looked like skinned cats from WC3 and the whole plot was weak. FPJ was also annoying along with Maniac. WC is Top Gun in space- loosely- the fact is that Blair progresses quickly because he is a skilled pilot and not a JEDI. What was with the star map box thingy anyway????:mad:

Not that WC1 (game) had much plot to it in the first place and it took the secret missions to build on the story and then the masterpiece that is WC2. ;) :D

I did however like the move from lasers to machine cannon thingies- never liked lasers!:rolleyes:

Has anyone seen the new Battlestar Gallactica series- thats how its done!!

Roberts said:
I did however like the move from lasers to machine cannon thingies- never liked lasers!

Thats a neutron gun, not a "machine cannon". So it is actually a "laser" of sorts. (The Confederation Handbook also lists the CF-117b Rapier as having two wing mounted lasers. I don't think those are shown in the movie, though)

Roberts said:
Has anyone seen the new Battlestar Gallactica series- thats how its done!!

No, it really isn't.

Cleaned, and "Maverick's Soul" given a week's vacation, to see if he might actually learn [Blair]to keep his big mouth shut[/Blair] with seven days to cool off.

Oh, and for those following at home: rules 2 and 5 are why he's been given that vacation.

Roberts said:
What was with the star map box thingy anyway?

I don't know why that would be a negative issue. It's a holographic navmap of sorts. the hazy blue stuff is obviously what the image is projected on.

Holy crap, I'm pardoned - and I have nothing to say whatsoever about this topic. Gonna go see what episode of Standoff we're on now, lots of catching up to do.

Death said:
As for the rest of your post, infinite, feel free to spare us the "wah, he didn't do it the way **I** wanted, it sucks!" routine.

Are you totally deranged? Topic was "what did u REALLY feel about the movie"

Being topical has little to do with your attitude in your previous post

McGruff said:
Holy crap, I'm pardoned - and I have nothing to say whatsoever about this topic. Gonna go see what episode of Standoff we're on now, lots of catching up to do.

Wow, haven't heard from McGruff in a long time!

Seemed to be some sort of unfortunate reverse-amnesty some time around the last CIC anniversary :( The Wing Commander withdrawals were hard to handle at times.

Aplha 1-1 said:
That starlancer movie wasn't bad, but why they made the coalition soldiers look like aliens is completely beyond me :p

Jests aside once i finally got over all the niggling little things i found it to be a fun movie, damn annoying that they never really released the DVD version here in oz.

I didn't realize there was a starlancer movie....

And the Wing Commander Movie... what was with the Kilrathi?

Back