What's Your Real Opinion About the Movie?

Maniac II said:
I didn't realize there was a starlancer movie....

The post to which you refer was supposed to be sarcastic. Partly it's a reference to the fact that starlancer re-used some of the movie footage (or was it some of the ships?...)

And the Wing Commander Movie... what was with the Kilrathi?

The look was intentional. For the most part it was what they wanted. Chris Roberts had never been quite happy with the way the kilrathi had been translated into puppets in wc3,4 from what was seen in wc1 and 2. Also, he wanted to make them a bit scarrier, yet he admits they made a mistake in making them eight feet tall. [they should have used perspective or other computer assisted effects to make them look bigger] the result was that they had a very hard time getting them to move right. And even after touching them up a bit with computers and stuff they still weren't quite right. https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/406

Chris Roberts said:
As for the Kilrathi, I do agree that they are disappointing in the film -- They are the area I'm least happy with -- I've never managed to get them to be as cool as they seemed in the first two games before moving to live action. I felt like they were overgrown puppets in the last two games I did (with live action). We tried in the film to make them "scarier" and more alien like, but made the mistake of building them up to be 8 foot tall (which isn't the natural size of a performer) Consequently they didn't move so well (especially in the tight Kilrathi sets). This being a fairly low budget sci-fi film prevented me from doing what usually happens in this case, which is going back and re-shooting the Kilrathi scenes with re-designed creatures or replacing them with CGI. The only option was to reduce their screen time.

(Personaly, I didn't mind how they looked in the movie but did find them to be somewhat lifeless. And I don't think that they needed to be scarrier looking. )

Last edited by a moderator:
At least they got to recycle them for the Planet of the Apes remake. Personally, I think the WC3 look was great and shouldn't have been changed except maybe to make the movements less robotic. Even the Melek thing from WC4 was a notch above the movie costumes simply because it at least resembled a cat just a little.

The Kilrathi were not found to be satisfatory, and I don't disagree with that. I understand that the ideal solution would be to go all CGI, look at Davy Jones on Pirates of the Caribbean II. But that was not so when the movie was being produced.

Delance said:
look at Davy Jones on Pirates of the Caribbean II.

I'd rather not. Computer generated effects look great - but they're nowhere near close to creating photorealistic "people" in a live-action movie. Even the best movies - like Spider Man 2 - have their fair share of sloppy CG characters.

That aside, I doubt that the Wing Commander movie could find the additional funds to make CGI Kilrathi, given how over budget the film became.

Dyret said:
He probably tried to, but lost track of what he was writing somewhere in the middle.:p

That statement was found to be satisfactory, and I don't disagree with it.

LeHah said:
That aside, I doubt that the Wing Commander movie could find the additional funds to make CGI Kilrathi, given how over budget the film became.

Well, the movie is very good for the budget it had.

McGruff said:
Even the Melek thing from WC4 was a notch above the movie costumes simply because it at least resembled a cat just a little.

No matter your opinion of the movie, this part isn't right. The Kilrathi in the movie actually had realistic cat-like faces. Melek in WC4 had a Sesame Street muppet cat face.

ChrisReid said:
No matter your opinion of the movie, this part isn't right. The Kilrathi in the movie actually had realistic cat-like faces. Melek in WC4 had a Sesame Street muppet cat face.

Thrakhath, and hobbes aren't too bad in WC3 (though they benefit a lot from the low compression.) but the guards in the background are really terrible. They look like ape suits. Melek in WC4 (possibly in parts of wc3 as well) really is terrible looking.

Good and Bad

Having played all of the games, I was dissappoited and both satisfied after watching the movie. I guess I was expecting more but it followed the games pretty close. I guess them trying to follow the games story may have been a problem in the films sucess but it was still fun to watch.

When the movie cam out in theatres, I watched it with my friends, one of which was at the time a huge Wing Commander fan. To the best of my memory, we all hated it. My Wing Commander loving friend and myself were especially put off. Of course, just because I hated it doesen't mean that you won't, or that it's not a good movie for the right audience. I hated King Kong too, but many people enjoyed that flick.

I actually got pretty excited with the movie kilrathi BEFORE the movie... I saw a concept drawing, it looked great. The execution was the problem, not the idea.

Back