What's your least favorite craft to dogfight with?

Highball

Spaceman
Since I have only played WC 1-3 with any seriousness, plus a little bit of 4, my choice here is going to be somewhat limited. Anyway, which is the one fighter you just hate having to face? The one you see on the radar and go: "Man..."

Mine:

WC1: Probably the Jalthi with the Gratha as a close second. The darn things take 30 firk-ding-blasted shots of full guns plus 12 missiles to kill. Ok, I'm exaggerating, but it seems like it takes a ton of hits to take out, which is made worse when 4 of them are concentrating all on you, and your wingman is worthless. Gratha being a close second.

WC2: The Strakha, just for the sheer annoying factor of it cloaking. Of course, the Jalkehi and Grikath are close seconds for having to beat the living daylights out of them just to take it out.

WC3: I don't think there are any ships I hated fighting in this game. The Bloodfang or Vaktoth, maybe.

You?

WC1: Rapier. Come on - the Jalthi is fun, especially if flying the Dralthi. Just fly in between its shots...
WC2: Grikath, nasty rear cannon there.
WC3: Dunno, they were all ok. I hate the stealth missile.
WC4: Well I guess the Dragon, if you exclude the fight with Maniac in the Hellcat
WCP: Lamprey - they are weak, but a pain to finally get.
P1: Drone
P2: Skull - I hate them, hate them, hate them. Too small, too nimble. Just a huge waste of time to finally sink some shot in.

Worst enemy ever: P2, Skull

WC1: Gratha. A lot or armor, and hard to hit from some angles.
WC2: Grikath. Because of the rear cannon
WC3: K'ha'haf (man I hated those mines), but the Paktahn were good, too. (rear cannon hit very hard)
WC4: No special one, maybe the Dragon. But that wasn't so bad.
WCP: Devil Ray, but since this is a kind of a "ace" it doesn't count. So I'd say the Squid.
P1: Drone
P2: Skull. Definately! I agree with cff:
Worst enemy ever: P2, Skull

WC1; Jalthi, when they get the drop on you... Gratha coming in second.

WC2; Grikhath, they pack a hell of a punch

WC3; The rockfighters

WC4; The Arrow

WCP; Devil Ray

WC1: Rapier

WC2: Gothri (This thing won't die and its rear gunner is as leathal as the forward.

WC3: Sorthak... again won't die.

WC4: Bearcat, don't know why, they just annoy me.

WCP: Stingray... How many missiles did I have to waste to kill this thing, plus he's a cocky son-of-a-bitch.

WC1: Rapier, though the Krant has a certain "oh go away already" factor due to not being remotely dangerous but taking a while to chew through.
WC2: Gothri, rear turrets are annoying
WC3: In an Arrow, the Paktahn; in a T-bolt, the Vaktoth, just because of irksome AI bait-and-switch tactics. The Ekapshi would be really annoying if you ever faced it in something that wasn't an Excalibur
WC4: Anything firing a missile at me is my least favourite craft, but yeah, the Bearcat is certainly up there.
Prophecy/Secret Ops: Actually the TCS Cerberus is usually my least favourite craft due to it being uncannily good at hitting me with its plasma cannon. But probably the Remora/Ray due to making it impossible to tell if anything actually dangerous is shooting at me.

WC 1: Rapier / Hhriss / Gratha, though sometimes Salthis could be a real pain. I thought every enemy was some kind of threat, except the Dralthi MK I.

WC 2: Grikath and Gothri. Very powerful weapons.

WC 3: Difficult, I don't have that much memory of it...but I thin the Pakthan's rear turret really annoyed me. And the K'ha'haf

WC 4: Arrow and Banshee

WCP: Devil Ray or Squid because you always had to chase it.

P1: Stiletto and Dralthis and Gothris. First ones were difficult to hit and the other ones always took rather long to destroy.

P2: Skull - one of the coolest but also most annoying enemies ever.

Not sure if we're allowed to count SM and SO, because the answer changes, but here's my take:

WC1: The Gratha. It would be the Rapier, but since that was a "special case" and not something that regularly showed up on my radar, I'm not counting it. Salthi and Dralthi were pathetic, Krant were only annoying due to their sheer numbers, and Jalthi, while dangerous, could be easily outflown and brought down if you were careful. But the Gratha wins, if only for that mission in Kurusawa.

SM1/2: The Hhriss. Not the worst fighter ever to face, but significantly more dangerous than any other cat fighter in the WC1 era. The Dralthi II is a close second, only because its incredible numbers combined with its mass drivers made big furballs a bad day.

(In general, I think WC1 had the most well-balanced array of enemy fighters...no one type stood out to me as "pathetic" or a "superfighter").

WC2: The Grikhath. Frikkin rear gun. Also, small target profile, thick armor, and you had to go after them because they were a threat to capships.

SO1/2: With all due respect to Drakhai-flown Sartha, which were nasty, let it be known for all time that I HATE GOTHRI. Gothri are evil. By the way, did I express my dislike of Gothri? (Imagine how happy I was when I got to Standoff Ep 2 and found that mission where you're dogfighting like 30 Gothri, which are just as hateworthy in Standoff as they are in SO).

For the record, I never understood what the problem was with Jalkehi. This seemed the most broken fighter in WC2...they never really posed a threat to me, blew up really easy, couldn't hit the broad side of a dreadnought, and were all around the thing I found easiest to take down. Must be the biggest discrepancy between what a fighter was supposed to be and what it was.

WC3: Vaktoth. Far and away the best craft the Cats had. It was too heavily armored and shielded for an Arrow to be comfortable against (and it had a rear gun as bad as a Grikhath). It was too fast and maneuverable to keep up with in a Thunderbolt or a Longbow, and it was evasive enough to avoid a missile or two, and tough enough to take a few missile hits, so you couldn't just lob FF's at them to get rid of them. Strangely, the best fighter against it was the Hellcat, which, as far as I can tell, is the only reason why one would knowingly choose a Hellcat in WC3.

Incidentally, does anyone else think that the Vaktoth design might have grown out of the successful Grikhath design? The Vaktoth looks kind of similar in shape, and both serve similar roles--a heavy, powerful, jump-equipped attack fighter with decent speed and maneuverability for its size, lots of firepower, and a nasty reargun.

Never had much trouble with either the Rockships or the Sorthaks--yes, they took a while to kill, but weren't all that threatening.

WC4: Leaving out the Lances (a.k.a. "Dragons"), which, as superfighters, were obviously the toughest, I would say worst fighters were whichever non-pirate fighters outnumbered you the most. The AI in WC4 was good enough so that ANY of the BW or Confed fighters, if they outnumbered you, were nasty. I would rather face two Lances than four Hellcats or Banshees.

WCP: Devil Ray, obviously, but if we're ignoring that, it would be the (blue) Manta. Morays and Skates (broken up) and Remora were no threat whatsoever, and were just killboard padding. Likeways with Rays and Lampreys. Unbroken Skates had to be tackled because they were a threat to capships, but didn't scare me in my fighter. Stingrays were bad, and Red Mantas were a bit of a threat both in a dogfight and versus capships, but blue Mantas were both tough in a dogfight, well armored, fast, maneuverable, and usually met in astounding numbers.

WC1 has to be the Gratha. Tough and well armed make for a bad situation. I never really found Jalthi too formidable. They're only really a problem if you rush them (stupid, stupid, stupid!) or fly straight and level for more then 5 seconds. Most enemy wings are made up multiples of 2 ships who stick together, so with Jalthi I found it easy if you burn away, turn, see which are engaging your wingman, then go help him out with those two before turning back to the second pair.

Come on - the Jalthi is fun, especially if flying the Dralthi. Just fly in between its shots...

Every time I tried to roll to fly between the shots when a Jalthi was opening up on me head on, I would get chewed up. Of course, it's been awhile since I have tried to employ the tactic, so it might work for me now, but then ... ugh.

(...) The Dralthi II is a close second, only because its incredible numbers combined with its mass drivers made big furballs a bad day.

(In general, I think WC1 had the most well-balanced array of enemy fighters...no one type stood out to me as "pathetic" or a "superfighter").

(...)

For the record, I never understood what the problem was with Jalkehi. This seemed the most broken fighter in WC2...they never really posed a threat to me, blew up really easy, couldn't hit the broad side of a dreadnought, and were all around the thing I found easiest to take down. Must be the biggest discrepancy between what a fighter was supposed to be and what it was.

(...)

I fully agree with all these points.

I loved fighting Griktaths in a Rapier in WC 2: you could just stay out of range and pummel them with your powerful guns.

Jincilla Skull, Jincilla Skull, Jincilla Skull. I'd never hated seeing a particular fighter so much before or since the Jincilla Skull.

At least I usually had either a Behemoth or a Nukem with me. Gahh, I hated, hated, hated those damned Jincilla Skulls!

Jincilla Skull, Jincilla Skull, Jincilla Skull. I'd never hated seeing a particular fighter so much before or since the Jincilla Skull.

At least I usually had either a Behemoth or a Nukem with me. Gahh, I hated, hated, hated those damned Jincilla Skulls!
Yes, yes, yes, yes. Overall, I hated P2 (the gameplay - the story I thought was fairly neat), and the Jincilla Skull was one of the contributing reasons. Maybe not quite in the same league as getting stuck at one navpoint for half an hour because of random-and-potentially-infinite enemies, but...

Yes, yes, yes, yes. Overall, I hated P2 (the gameplay - the story I thought was fairly neat), and the Jincilla Skull was one of the contributing reasons. Maybe not quite in the same league as getting stuck at one navpoint for half an hour because of random-and-potentially-infinite enemies, but...

Aww, I love P2, I just loathe Jincilla Skulls with a passion that will never die.

In WC3, the Vaktoths were a nightmare. Their rear turrets spell death if you don't play it safe.

But that was way back. Now, I'd say the Paktahn. Their rear turrets are even worse. And if you don't have a strong craft, they won't go down quickly.

Back