What's Next for Wing Commander?

Hey, how's everybody doing? I'm wondering what people think is up for the next Wing Commander game....

I'd like a revisit to the start, make it gritty unlike how the series was turning into a nice sterile environment. Make it open ended, get BioWare to make it, using what they learnt from Mass Effect. Add 3rd person ground combat and 1st person space combat. Fight against the Kilrathi from the start to the end of the war, from a unique perspective. Make the battle lines dynamic and changing based on what you do or do not do. Add in RPG elements for your character and crew, upgrade weapons, upgrade your carrier and the fighter wings in it. Call it Wing Commander Effect.

I've been playing a lot of Mass Effect recently...

Since the game is firmly with EA I hope that, when it returns, it receives the XCOM:EU treatment. And not, you know, the Syndicate treatment.

Syndicate was not a bad game by any means and even successfully evoked the atmosphere of the original, but the general consensus is that the abrupt change in genre hurt it too much.

Given the XCOM example, it seems to me that the best way to go is a reboot, going back to the basics, with an upgraded, modern, strong single player experience with maybe a multiplayer module. And keeping it a first-person space combat sim, of course.

I'd like a revisit to the start, make it gritty unlike how the series was turning into a nice sterile environment. Make it open ended, get BioWare to make it, using what they learnt from Mass Effect. Add 3rd person ground combat and 1st person space combat. Fight against the Kilrathi from the start to the end of the war, from a unique perspective. Make the battle lines dynamic and changing based on what you do or do not do. Add in RPG elements for your character and crew, upgrade weapons, upgrade your carrier and the fighter wings in it. Call it Wing Commander Effect.

I've been playing a lot of Mass Effect recently...

Heh, in all fairness Mass Effect is more or less Wing Commander with a floor.

A Mass Effect-based spaceflight combat game might be popular . I know that I was disappointed by the lack of opportunities to control the Normandy in space combat.

Back