What would you REALLY do in Wing Commander

If the bartender slot were available in carriers constructed after bengals, that's where I'd be. Know something about everyone, here all the stories from the pilots as they come in to down a few, and of course, know how to make one sweet drink. Shotglass had the life!

Plus, those bars seemed to have pretty sweet sims in them also...

No question, I'd be an anthropologist. Seeing the sights and settings of an entire galaxy. Oh and ducking the kilrathi at every turn.

I would probably do what McGruff suggested. Money is no object, so I'm sure Confed would listen to the richest guy in the galaxy. If I had thought of that while posting, I think I would've mentioned barring those types of ideas though ;). So assuming that..

If I had a TON of money, I would probably go into business.. perhaps getting feedback from Confed on how best to invest my money to support the war effort. Being a test pilot would be fun. I guess I can't get down on Flash since that same idea crossed my head and appeals to me. I probably could be suckered into a simulator bet where if I lose, I sign on as a combat pilot, just like Flash was. I have an ego and a hot head sometimes, so I could see that same thing happening to me. I think I'm a bit old at 29 to be a test pilot though.

I probably wouldn't go to the Pleasure planet though. I believe in quality over quantity. I would most likely work on establishing a solid family business, finding an outstanding wife, and start a new family dynasty. I would feel an obligation though to use myself as efficiently as possible to help Confed win. I would probably invest heavily in War Bonds and donate money to build military equipment.

I think I have been a character in the Wing Commander universe two or three times... and I've got that star system...

But in all seriousness, the premise is flawed for me - I just wouldn't be adult LOAF without having suffered through my eye problems. I suppose I'd want to be what I am now - historian, researcher, speechwriter, defender of the faith, jerk who banned the guy who just wanted to tell us that a Star Destroyer could blow up a Kilrathi dreadnaught, etc.,etc.

HAHAHAHA LOAF make me laugh! But in all seriousness, I can honestly say I would be a pilot. When I graduated HS I tried to get into the NROTC to become one, but my -4.25 left eye kept me from doing it. Since in the present day I'm somehow not a candidate for eye surgery, that sucked for me. I think if I had the choice, I'd be flying for Covert opps under Paladin. I don't know about after that, though I certainly would not want to fly off the Victory. Why? I'd probably get court martialled for beating up Rollins. He annoys me. I'd rather take a position on one of the aging Bengal carriers if any were still around.

Maverick survives the WC2 campaign...a lot of others dont ;)

This may sound like a silly question, but If you eject in a broadsword, do the turret pods fall off too? Because, you know, that would suck for the turret gunner if they didn't!

There's a good question, and kudos to Mjr. Whoopass for coming up with something fairly original to actually sit down and think about.

During wartime, I'd probably just go from one odd job in some backwater system to another...maybe see about getting a civilian pilot license just so I could come and go as I please...maybe even scrounge up enough money to buy my own rust bucket to fly around in eventually. I'd be curious about the Kilrathi and would want to do my own research on 'em, but I imagine Confed would make most of the important nitty-gritty stuff about 'em classified. Alternatively, I'd probably just be a support guy - communications? - on some unimportant ship that sees limited (or no) action. Like most, I can talk the talk in a video game, but if it came to real life with no reset button, I'm not too keen on fighting a war until it starts fighting me. Might feel differently if my family situation was different and I was an orphan or lower class financially and signing up was the only way to see new places, try new things, get an education, and get paid to do it. But too many extras, side characters, and near main characters get creamed in Wing Commander. Might as well slap one of those red Trek security outfits on me; I'd be screwed! :(

Post-war, I'd take an interest in studying the Kilrathi (books pertaining to culture, religious persuasions, etc.) just for curiosity's sake. I'd probably move out to the Border Worlds to watch a younger government grow (probably less restrictive in terms of policies - so it might have a greater sense of personal freedom and place more importance on the individual), maybe actually consider serving on a BW capital ship of some sort...maybe land some kind of support job there (engineering?). Alternatively, I'd stand in as a police pilot somewhere to help keep an eye on the borders. Of course when the whole Black Lance thing starts to go down, I may or may not wish to seek alternative employment opportunities... :D

Flying under the radar is the way to go in the Wing Commander Universe, baby! :D I could always win as Blair, but never did it in the first life! :)

While the odds may be stacked against pilots a bit, it would seem to me that the flight alternative is better than fighting it out on the ground against the cats would be rougher. At least flying you skill level determines your survival rate more than on the ground, which is just pure luck.

I would choose to be a pilot. I couldn't just lay back and watch the war without joining. Besides, hopefully I'd get a Raptor!

hopefully I'd get a Raptor!

And be breakfast for some fancy new Vaktoth? No thanks. Don't get me wrong, I love the Raptor, but we're talking about the WC3 era. Now I don't know you, so I couldn't say if you're a real life fighter pilot, a real life civilian pilot, or just an occasional computer gamer like myself who wouldn't make heads or tails of all the gauges and widgets in a real 27th century fighter, though in this scenario it's for real, you have your actual current skills, and there's no 'replay mission' option.

Oops, skimmed over that part. Regardless I would still become a pilot. Hellcat isn't too bad. I realize the odds are against pilots surviving but that's a risk one has to take.

And be breakfast for some fancy new Vaktoth? No thanks. Don't get me wrong, I love the Raptor, but we're talking about the WC3 era. Now I don't know you, so I couldn't say if you're a real life fighter pilot, a real life civilian pilot, or just an occasional computer gamer like myself who wouldn't make heads or tails of all the gauges and widgets in a real 27th century fighter, though in this scenario it's for real, you have your actual current skills, and there's no 'replay mission' option.

I do not think this is a fair asessment. How old is the arrow's design? Not to mention the decrepit old Hellcat V, or (shudders) the longbow! Anyone who could survive in such crappy fighters as those should have no problem in the "oldie but goodie." I've said this 100 times over, just because something is old, does not mean you simply throw it away. The Raptor is a fine ship with a venerable history fighting against the Kilrathi. If you could find one that isn't too badly beat up, I'd take it over a Hellcat V (yes, in WC3) any day.

Back