What would you REALLY do in Wing Commander

Mjr. Whoopass

<FONT color=lightblue><B>I was going to say someth
It's easy to say you'd like to be a Arrow pilot/Excalibur/Carrier Captain etc.. but what would you REALLY do: You find yourself in the Wing Commander Universe (let's just say a couple years before Wing Commander 3).. considering what you would actually do: not simply something that's fun to imagine: what would you do?

Keep in mind the short life expectancy of a combat pilot and that you would actually die. Keep in mind the horrible food and horrible sleeping arrangements of military personnel. Money is no object, so you could avoid the draft or influence your way into any branch of the military or civilian life. We'll say poor vision or handicaps can be cured in the future. Be honest!

Really? Money is no object? There are a number of pleasure planets in the Gemini sector that come highly recommended...

I'd probably try and get into the navy because I'm not a great pilot. I'd probably be doing something dull like loading torpedoes on a strike carrier!

I don't normally go for hypothetical life situations, but hey, this is WC...

I like technical stuff, so I'd probably go for a bridge officer position. I dunno, cryptanalyst (like Major Edmond) or some such. Failing that, I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities for civilian technicians to do their part for the war effort.

I don't think I'd ever join any military force, even Confed's... I'd never really fit in a rigid military hierarchy. Well... any rigid hierarchy...

However, there's a very good chance that I'd sign up with Taryn Cross in the exploration service. To discover new systems, new worlds... Yeah, that's probably what I'd do. :)

Professional dragon slayer, huh? :)

I prefer to stick to known space, but I'm glad there are those willing to risk themselves to open new jump routes.

It's easy to say you'd like to be a Arrow pilot/Excalibur/Carrier Captain etc.. but what would you REALLY do: You find yourself in the Wing Commander Universe (let's just say a couple years before Wing Commander 3).. considering what you would actually do: not simply something that's fun to imagine: what would you do?

Keep in mind the short life expectancy of a combat pilot and that you would actually die. Keep in mind the horrible food and horrible sleeping arrangements of military personnel. Money is no object, so you could avoid the draft or influence your way into any branch of the military or civilian life. We'll say poor vision or handicaps can be cured in the future. Be honest!

Buy the biggest bouquet of roses possible for the bartender at any of those "pleasure planets" :D

I wouldn't even think about trying to learn to fly a real fighter. I'd get as far from the front lines as possible, though I would do my best to contribute to the war effort by trying to provide any knowledge of future events that might prove useful to Confed. The truth about Hobbes for example and details about the 'Heart of the Tiger' overlay.

Hmmmm... I do believe they'd demand some hard evidence from you... And the evidence you do have simply does not exist in that universe! :rolleyes:

Which is why I said "do my best" and "try". Of course if I happen to strike a chord with someone by happening to know some little bit of information that I shouldn't (the existence of the Excalibur fighter project for example), then maybe they might take my other claims more seriously. - and yes, I know that would mean I would have some serious 'splainin to do, but the countless lives that could be saved would be worth the risk. Besides, money is no object, so I could arrange for information to be exchanged anonymously. Once taken seriously, the possibilities for changing the way things go would be substantial, like having a big surprise waiting for the Nephilim's first appearance at Kilrah.

I'd have the helmslady from the Intrepid as my personal assistant too.

Hmmm... anything?

ill go for Chief Medical officer on a hospital ship... maybe get lucky and get posted to a carrier like the TCS-Concordia... i have a feeling there would never be a dull moment.

Chief technician. Probably in an exploration service.That sounds really cool. Or maybe some priv style tech, either on a base or on a larger merchant ship...

Cant believe that im the only one who wants to be a mechanic :D

I'd probably pick up a Centurion and freelance. Sure I might get a knife in the back in some seedy backwater bar, but hey I'd be doing what I love and I wouldn't have to deal with the possibility of inept officers.

Explorer captain, for sure - because you really have to be a jack of all trades to pull it off, and that's just my nature. One part tech, one part combat pilot, one part fast talker - sure, you're not flying the hottest thing in the military, but it's not like you have to take on half a Kilrathi armada.

Barring that, I like this pleasure planet idea...:D

I don't think theres any two ways about it, with my very limited skill base I'd be the guy who programmed the mission simulators.

I think I have been a character in the Wing Commander universe two or three times... and I've got that star system...

But in all seriousness, the premise is flawed for me - I just wouldn't be adult LOAF without having suffered through my eye problems. I suppose I'd want to be what I am now - historian, researcher, speechwriter, defender of the faith, jerk who banned the guy who just wanted to tell us that a Star Destroyer could blow up a Kilrathi dreadnaught, etc.,etc.

Maybe Roman Lynch.

Go anywhere, buy anything, steal anything that can't be bought, fix anything, get away with it all, screw anyone, and never get caught.

Back