What Would You Have Done Different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopGun100

Swabbie
Banned
In regards to the Wing Commander games? Would you have made the entire plot different? Would you have came up with different fighter designs? Would you have changed a few parts of the script.

What would YOU have done?

Got something small I would of made different. In wing commander 4 why wouldn't they make it so when your on the confed side you could fly all the ships from wing commander 3. I wasn't very surprised that I was gonna have to defect since the ship selection was so small. I mean they got rid of the cockpits in wc4 how difficult would it of been to make the arrow,thunderbolt and excalibur flyable. They were already modeled in the game which was nice. I love that ship editor in that I can swap in ships but it seems like it would of been so easy for them to just put those fighters in so the player could fly them.

Well, if the Excalibur had been available in WC4 then only the Hellcat-lovers would care to fly the Hellcat since the Excalibur was more powerful in every way. The Arrow still had a speed/agility advantage and the Thunderbolt still had a defense/torpedo advantage though.

WC-3 I would have made dramatically different.

First of all, and foremost. The fighters and ships.

The Kilrathi wasn't losing the war. They were winning it. They had built a large fleet in secret and did not appear to be having any major ship shortage. Confed on the other hand had to take old ships and fly them with modifications I would presume to fight against the Kilrathi. For this reason, I see it illogical for the "new" kilrathi ships to be so markedly inferior to the WC2 versions.

I am glad to see the larger fighter style back and the internal carriage of weaponry, although I'm not fond of the new designs.

In my opinion, for a light fighter I would have perfered an Arrow similar to Armada. With a 795 kph military power speed, and a 2090 sprint! I would have been fine with four missiles even then. It would be like the F-104 of it's era. I would have retained the WC-3's maneuverability however. The cockpit size, I might have wanted to make smaller since I do generally literally interpret the size of the fighter, and if it's listed as 18 or 20 meters, it should look like it's really that size, and the cockpit might seem a bit smaller. I would have wanted those ventral fin thingies shortened a bit, and the top areas in front of the vertical tails, I would have wanted vents to be made out of the front areas.

The medium fighter slot I would have used a Rapier. The Bearcat's design is similar. Think about it... the forward intake shape looks similar to the canard area of the Rapier. The thicker wings, and faceted shape would still be fine. The cockpit position is okay, and the "forward intake" could be replaced with a neutron gun mount, and two lasers under the nose. The rear-intakes are similar to the Rapier. The engine layout could be changed a bit. The "Fins" on the wing-tip and atop the engine mount ould be settled as well. The fins atop the engine mount I would simply have removed, and shortened the wingtip fins, and thickened them, and canted the top part inward and the lower part. The sweep angle up top I would have increased as well. I would have fitted it with six missiles and a jump-drive. I would have preferred in overall to retain the original 24 meter size that the Rapier had in WC-1 since the larger-fighter scale has come back.

For the heavy fighter, I would have kept the basic Thud design. I would have made the cockpit smaller, and made the nose area less squarish with various modifications to, while keeping a low count and retaining the faceted look, add a more aerodynamic look to it. The area where the guns were stowed is now an intake, and the mid-span area of the wing would have a vent. So would the vertical tail stubs. The turret operator could have been operated by a guy sitting right behind the pilot, rather than having him back in the tail. Similar design feature was used on the B-58 back in the '60's. It would carry an internal rotary rack down the centerline with three torpedoes, and six torpedo hardpoints. The way I'd portray it as a clumsier competitor to the Sabre... in otherwords, they both served at the same time. The Thud was better armored and shielded, had 1 more torpedo. It had the same cruise speed, but slightly less on afterburner, and less maneuverability. The gun lay-out I'd make it 4-plasma, and 2 photon cannons. It also costed more money per piece, resulting in it appearing less on the front lines. That's a pretty good explanation.

I would have used the Crossbow instead of the Longbow. The Crossbow would have an afterburner on it. I would increase it's size to 32 meters, and would retain the same maneuverability from Wing-2. It's design would probably require some changes to make it work with the new game engine, but I already drew up drawings as to what such a design would look like.

F-103 Excalibur: I would have wanted the body of hte plane in front of the wings to be more aerodynamic. Facet it a plenty, I don't care. I just want the design to start narrow, get wider, and then become less narrow in height and width as it goes rearword. The Engine Blocks in the back I would want the same thing, as for the rectangular areas. I'd want the wings a bit thicker starting out normal and widening out then shrinking back down. The fins (wingtip) I'd have wanted to be a little more aerodynamic as well. Other than that, which would ammount to a total redesign :p, the cockpit I would have probably wanted to shrink down somewhat to make it look like a real 32 meter machine. I would have given it an automatic turrret, with pilot override control. I would have wanted to arrange the missiles differently, storing htem in more realistic spaces. 8 missiles and two torpedoes in a torpedo lay-out, and 12 missiles otherwise. Since I intend this thing to replace the Sabre, it better have some armor even if the prototype is a little deficient. Maneuverability is fine as is in WC-3, and I would have wanted it to be able to do 675 kps and about 1,720 on burner. The white vents in front of the engines, could be fitted with new textures to show two small retro-engines top and bottom. The forward set of white vents would now be hydrogen intakes and should have a more slitted look, and probably darker. It should have extreme range due to it having an antimatter reactor. Same gun lay-outs as before

The shuttles. I'd have wanted to give them more faceted-curves, and a MUCH smaller cockpit... the dome can be the same, just a "bridge" like cockpit on the bottom area. Rather than it be a box from the front, it would now take on an a slight octogonal shape. From the side and top the same as well. The folding ramp in the back should be pretty big considering the ship is like 45-meters LONG. That's like an airliner. It should have some vents on it to give it the effect of the rest of the WC-vehicles.

In regards to Confed Capships, I would have preferred to retain the phased-shields arrangement. Even if not, they should have made them so difficult to penetrate that one nerdy 12 year old can't take them out with a swift strafing run.

I would have liked to at least retain the Gilgamesh Class vessels. Call them Sheffield and conventry all you like. It looked so much better. It had these nice wings. I would have made the main body a bit thicker with a more chisled nose. The wings I would have made thicker, but still narrow them down quite a bit towards the tips. I would have put intakes under the design also. Either one big wide intake, or two sets one lef tone right with a conning tower on the bottom side too. Twelve torpedo tubes, four top, four bottom, four middle arranged in lateral rows. Ten engines in the rear in a "pack" and two blistered projections on either side which run through the wings. The inboard set could have a small engine in the rear, and a bigger engine up front producing a teardrop shape. The outboard area would have a small engine in the front, and just some kind of transmitter or electornics thing in the rear. Perhaps posting the two closer together to avoid directional problems should one of the reverse engines fail. Bussard intakes should be RED, and the exhaust a brighter color, like white or blue. The vertical projection which kind of is on either side of the bridge, I prefer to simply remove. After that, give it a gray and blue paint-job, put a number on it's hull on one part, put an AMG up front, a missile launcher behind it top and bottom. I would have also liked to see a bunch of smaller guns slightly weaker than fighter guns, but faster firing on the design. The Gilgamesh is a great design.

The Talahassee design... I think they planned to design a Waterloo, but then for whatever reason was unhappy with the design decided to just not put hte wings or the runway in and simply kept it as a skinny cruiser. Still, I think this design is good enough as is. Still I would have preferred to have less large laser turrets and use a couple extra point-defense guns instead, and made them smaller. I would have rather them had phase-shields, and while their armor would have had to ahve been revised, it should still be fairly weak since it's an old hull.

As for the Victory. I don't know exactly what to make of her. I like her design and her lines. But the concept of such an old hull design. I could understand it better if the class (Ranger) had simply been revised over the years and eventually became so revised that by the time Victory came arund, it was a different ship almost entirely. Like Ranger Mark IV class. The size of the ship is appropriate I guess. I still think it should have had fifty craft onboard.

1/2 squadron = 5 SWACS (I like the idea in WCP of those-- they should have always been in WC)
1/2 squadron = 5 Shuttlecraft
Point Defense Squadron = 10 Arrows
Medium Fighter Squadron = 10 Rapiers
Heavy Fighter Squadron = 10 Thunderbolts
Bomber Squadron = 10 Crossbows

A big flaw, and I mean BIG flaw with the fly-through arrangement is that an enemy can go through. Why not have some kind of door that covers up the bay. And it can have a shield generator on it so it puts up a wall of energy to block weapons. Plus when jumping, that is not good having all that energy flowing over the deck like that.

I would have also preferred the windows to be smaller. 720 meters isn't 720 feet. For this reason the windows should be smaller. The flight-deck should appear bigger, it's just a computer generated image, and the fighters can appear the actual size (25 meters) they are supposed to be.

As for the Victory, the powerplants in the back should be a bluish white, and the six things in the front, look like engines to me, reverse thrusters. They should be gray. If they can cloak a ship, I wouldn't be suprized if they can switch a texture from gray to a bright red. In WC-4 a bunch of vents were shown on the fins leading edge. Those can be the bussard intakes. I'd be thinking adding a reddish glow to them to make the point, even a dull glow. The Bridge design is absolutely insane. The windows are humungus. Even in WC-2 the Concordia's bridge wasn't that big, and the Connie was a BIG ship. The bridge even if they wanted the given width, they should have lowered those ceilings pronto. And that sunken area where the communications guys work, I don't like either. I say that area should be elevated. They sit around that area with the computers not sunken but raised. The captain sits on the left side like on a modern carrier. Additionally, Blair should have had his own office... it was in the Novel. And so should all the Squad commanders... technically you could use one office lay out for all of them, and just have a differetn guy sitting at the desk. At least the regular CO's rooms... the WC's room has a window looking over the deck.

The CIC area was pretty spiffy. They got that part right. And they also were right showing the Captain there in battle. That's where the captain really goes to. I liked the "pool table". Although I would have liked it more if the hologram actually seemed to float off the table and stand in mid air like a StarWars hologram.

One thing a lot of WC Enthusiasts didn't like was the uniforms. And they were lame uniforms. For a regular duty uniform they should have just worn some kind of white-khaki outfit, white shoes and belts for officers, black shoes and belts for enlisted. Rank insignia displayed on the shoulders, using same ranking system used in the United States Navy today. And one thing that annoys me is that they have two ranking systems and their own space-force. To be honest, the modern navy works fine with it's naval-aviators. And in the SNES game, they to my knowledge used Naval Ranks. The hats they wear on the ship are those baseball cap like things that are worn on warships currently, with the ship's outline on it, it's hull number and name. Appropirate scrambled eggs for ranks above CDR, like that used in the current US Navy. I don't know if it would be inside the WC-3 budget, but a dress-uniform would have been a nice touch. I'm thinking dark-blue, but not quite navy coats with same color pants. I envision the coat being somewhat long and made out of a fairly thick material with those loops around where the waist are (you know wher eyou slide a belt through?), and a thick black or navy colored belt, and a golden buckle for the officers, and silver for the enlisted men. Officers have red-shoulder boards (an inspiration from Super Wing Commander), that unlike SWC do not extend all the way to the neck, but only a few inches in, and the boards are not as skinny as the red-stripe in SWC, more like a real shoulderboard thickness, but they are attached to the suit. Red for Warrant Officer all the way up to Captain, Gold with silver stars for admirals. Stripes at the cuff with a terran confederation star (gold). Suits are double-breasted (two rows of three or four) for men, and single breasted (four or five buttons).
Since the Spaceman/Crewman/Seaman uniforms currently around are so throughly gay in appearance, I'd prefer them in white khaki outfits, with hats similar to the kind of hats that Col Halcyon wore, (except without the col insignia-- don't you know you can get shot for impersonatin' an officer in wartime!), except white. Black shoes and belts though. Insigina on the upper arm, service stripes on the lower sleeve. To avoid making petty officers suffer with silly uniforms, they'll get the Chief Uniform design but with lesser insignia shown. I've also found it odd that WC except in the movie (and they looked hideous) never had any hats. Even on the flight deck during formal events. I was thinking a white hat like that used currently in the navy, but with a different insignia. Since the red-star with sword in it and four stars on the side kind of look like Russian, in a bad way... The big star could be gold, the outer ones silver and a silver sword inside the gold star with a gold sword-handle. This would be the officers hat. Since WC has shown great advances in unisexness, I feel men and women should get the same hat, or at least something close. The officers cap features a gold band around the forward half, and a black visor with no additions from Warrant Officer to LCDR, and featuring scrambled eggs to the same patter used in the navy for ranks of CDR and Captain. Admirals will get the same scrambled egg pattern used in the current navy. Petty Officers get that eight sided confed star with the circle around it in silver with the letters T C N running through. Chiefs have it in gold, with T C N in silver running thoguh. The gold band is only on the officers cap, and NOT on the enlisted caps. Medals would be worn four across unlike the three across used in our current navy. It all fit okay in WC-3 so I'll keep that. The designator insignia of Naval Aviator can be used, so can naval flight officer for turret operators, etc. Surface Warfare in WC would be Space Warfare. Silver for enlisted, gold for officers.

Back to fighters. Honestly, the Vaktoth design could easily play the role of a Grikath. They have the same basic arrangement.

I don't like the extreme asymmetry in the designs. They are far far too much, and difficult to control. I would prefer them keeping to symmetry most of the time.

I'm pretty tired, I'm going off to bed... I suppose I'll add more tomorrow if I'm able to.

TopGun100

Stone48420 said:
Got something small I would of made different. In wing commander 4 why wouldn't they make it so when your on the confed side you could fly all the ships from wing commander 3. I wasn't very surprised that I was gonna have to defect since the ship selection was so small.

Why wouldn't you have assumed that the ship selection (on whatever side) just got larger as you progressed through the game?

Stone48420 said:
I mean they got rid of the cockpits in wc4 how difficult would it of been to make the arrow,thunderbolt and excalibur flyable. They were already modeled in the game which was nice. I love that ship editor in that I can swap in ships but it seems like it would of been so easy for them to just put those fighters in so the player could fly them.

Yeah, it wouldn't have been hard, but there's certainly reasons to limit it. Taking different ships drastically changes how the missions play out. That's why even when we have ship selection options, we usually have a limited selection of ships to choose from. You have things like prerendered video sequences as well. It ends up taking more time and disc space if you have to render Arrows/Thunderbolts/Excaliburs entering and leaving planetary atmospheres and stuff like that. There's only a small handful of missions that the player really would have been able to pick from a variety of ships on the Confed side. I'm glad they took some of that time and put it into new ships like the Bearcat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back