What would you do?

Originally posted by Preacher
Well, not exactly...

If you're a Naval/Marine aviator, "deck" can mean "ceiling", also, as in "maintain hard deck at angels 5" (= flight ceiling of 5,000 feet)...:cool:

umm...no. deck means floor. the "maintain hard deck at angels 5" means don't go below 5,000 ft. watch TopGun again. Maverick gets chewed out by Viper cause he went below the hard deck

Originally posted by Aries
umm...no. deck means floor. the "maintain hard deck at angels 5" means don't go below 5,000 ft. watch TopGun again. Maverick gets chewed out by Viper cause he went below the hard deck
Yeesh-semantic arguments. I've not the ambition at the moment to argue the point

Whatever. The point is, "deck" has another meaning for marines & sailors than a structural design element of a ship...

Originally posted by Wedge009
And I much prefer "toilet" to that pansy term "bathroom". Can't understand why people can't say "toilet". :)

By the way, the head (bathroom) is where the shitters (crappers, toilets), pissers (urinals), scuttlebutts (sinks), and showers all reside. Are you suggesting that you would shower in the "toilet"?

I take back the touche' and expect to recieve one.:D

Originally posted by Ripper
... Are you suggesting that you would shower in the "toilet"?
Prolly not:
Here in the States, at least, we commonly use the phrases "going to the toilet" and "going to the bathroom" interchangeably, to mean the same thing (even though grammatically that's incorrect). Just another example of how abstract, spongy, and ridiculous our English language is...

Neither of those is grammatically incorrect... one is more than capable of going to both the toilet and the bathroom.

Originally posted by TC
Neither of those is grammatically incorrect... one is more than capable of going to both the toilet and the bathroom.
Picky, picky...
OK, mebbe not "grammatically" incorrect, but more like semantically incorrect.

Point being, we use both phrases to commonly mean the same specific thing, namely, going in to take a dump or a leak; whereas going "to the bathroom" is a general term that can mean so much more, yet we use it to refer (most of the time) to only that specific activity... Sheesh!...

I come back to the WC Chat Zone after 562 days and you guys are arguing about grammar and toilets. :D could be worse. And yeah, first thing I do when I wake up, be it at home or on the Tiger's Claw is head for the bathroom ... unless I find a half finished beer on my bedside table ... mmm warm beer ... :p

I happen to call it the can. Why the can? That's what most folk call the cylinders on a nuclear plant. If you get caught in the can during a nuclear incident, you get...crapped up! :D :D :D

Originally posted by steampunk
I come back to the WC Chat Zone after 562 days and you guys are arguing about grammar and toilets. :D could be worse. And yeah, first thing I do when I wake up, be it at home or on the Tiger's Claw is head for the bathroom ... unless I find a half finished beer on my bedside table ... mmm warm beer ... :p
Wow, Steampunk! It's always nice to see old faces again... err, well, old callsigns, really :).

I could down the best part of a six pack of good cold beer. The best part being inside the cans. :) Never been off my face drunk yet, but there's a first for everything, and for every thirst, there's Coors or Bud, or Boags or Cascade.

Nice to see you're still around Quarto. I was bored at work (waiting for some hardwre to come in) so I cam back! Maybe I'll hang around ...

No I'm not a Brit Preacher. But down here in Australia my friends and I have a rule: NEVER waste the booze. So you have to drink it. Or make beer bread!

Phillip, if I catch you drinking Bud I'm going to have to hurt you :p You're OK with the Boag and Cascade though.

Heh. As a fellow Aussie, I wouldn't know what Budweiser tasted like. I mentioned it because, if I remember, Stone Cold Steve Austin used to drink (and waste) it. If there's beer about I wouldn't waste it either. Only knocked it back once since legal drinking age. I haven't turned out like Spirit yet (play Secret Missions :p ), but it'll happen.

Back