What were the worst injustices in the Wing Commander Movie?

Major_Chill

Spaceman
This topic has probably been discussed to death, but as I'm fairly new to the board, I felt that it was something I'd like to see peoples views on. To me it was the stupid fact, that the WCM ruins the timeline by mixing events from WC1 & 2. Even the pathetic Kilrathi in the film, didn't put me off as much as the timeline cockup. Feel free to completely disagree with me (or worship me :D ) and add anything that U FEEL ruined your experience with the WCM.

You're right...it HAS been discussed to death.

The worst injustice about the WCM, in my eyes, is that people are constantly griping about it. In particular the appearnace of the Kilrathi always seems to pop up in these discussions -- for the umpteenth time, the movie version is the closest Chris Roberts has come to realizing his vision of the Kilrathi.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. :)

Another injustice is the fact that most "fans" only point out what's "wrong" in the movie, or make the dreaded jump in logic that since it looks different in the film, it must be inferior to the games. :mad:

you are right, ppl think that the movie suck just becasue they change the ship shape, I did't like that at the fist, but, hey the movie was cool, and imagine if they only have used the game ship, ppl will nemer say that the movie was bas, another stuff, Why did that have the Pilgims???

I think that was rasist

That was the point of putting Pilgrims in, for it to be racist.

I, too, like the weather-worn look of the fighters and ships in the movie.

I suggest investing in a dictionary, my friend. :)

The weather-worn look was good, the 'modified WW2 airplane' look was bad.
Overall the movie makes good Saturday-night-with-nothing-else-on entertainment. I've seen it twice now. Maybe I'll buy it someday. :)

I liked the most of the WCM ships, especially the Broadsword looked kinda cool. But the TigerClaw reminded me of a flying cigar.

I disliked the Pilgrim idea nad most of the fighters' designs. I liked the SFX and music. Generally spoken, it was entertaining.

The biggest injustice was that it was ever released.

Don't get me wrong-o, I love the movie, but I just think it did more harm to the series than good.

Originally posted by 15th Rampage
I think that was rasist

Yeah, there was a lot of backlash among FICTIONAL ALIEN RACES because of their negative portrayal in the movie.

Wait, what?

I liked it. There were a few minor things that could have been better, but iverall it was good. And oh yeah, i loved the way the broadswords looked!

But flying cigars are good...:)

This reminds me of the Tomb Raider movie..."Wait! Lara's shirt isn't the same color! I'm not going!"

Originally posted by Bob McDob
This reminds me of the Tomb Raider movie..."Wait! Lara's shirt isn't the same color! I'm not going!"

Good point, some differences don't make a difference, but I still stand by the point that the timeline was messed around to much.

As to the point of people only gripping about the film, I too had enjoyment from seeing the film, and still do, though I'll still prefer reading the novels and playing the games. Not that the film was bad, but rather it lacked that sparkle that we WC fans love. :)

Originally posted by Bob McDob

And who cares about Lara´s shirt, the essential is invisible to the eyes.....

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Yeah, there was a lot of backlash among FICTIONAL ALIEN RACES because of their negative portrayal in the movie.

Wait, what?

Ouch... LOAF caused me to have a cranial explosion. Film at 11.

Anyway, I loved every bit of the movie. Nothing ruined it for me, despite my past gripes of it messing with timelines and events. I enjoy it to its fullest.

what i dont like about the movie is that it was never finished.

Heres the deal. I was involved in making the movie. The script was so much better than the movie. What actually happened is that we ran out of money, plus the kilrathi looked shit. - - - - - - Eric Peterson, Talking in Issue 109 of PCZone Magazine

Thats the proof

Even if that quote is real (which is highly suspect -- it's gramatically horrific), it's the meaningless, bitter rantings of someone whose involvement with the Wing Commander movie was miniscule -- Mr. Peterson is credited as "Supervisor of Digital Anvil Facilities". He was busy working on a very cruddy WC ripoff game at the time, I believe.

What's the worst....

Um most people wanted a movie.. well they got it, unfortunately minus the traitor sub plot.. But I wouldn't call it an injustice. The injustice was the very modest budget which made it impossible to spend the time to use adequate technique to make the cats feel right.

As my brother put it: "it rendered the whole movie into a stupid morality tale about the wing commander".

Anyway I liked the movie in it's simplistic escapism sort of way. But the end was kind of anti-climactic. It just seemed way to easy. Blowing up each ship one at a time? Oh well.

By the way. complaining about it wont change the past.
But maybe someday whether you want it or not, we'll get a second movie or a live action TV show. We'll help it make lots of money and the episodes or the movie will be released on DVD. Then Chris Roberts will use new advanced computers that fix rubber acting, along with his oodles of new cash, and will release an extende special edition DVD of the original movie... (have you compared the Abyss special edition?? the extra scenes radicaly change the movie feel and ending)

-AD

Originally posted by LeHah
...or make the dreaded jump in logic that since it looks different in the film, it must be inferior to the games.
I don't think that sort of thing makes one thing inferior from another, but I personally didn't like the flying submarines. When I first heard about the movie, I envisioned the Tiger's Claw as being an 'improved' version of the one from the game, similar to what WCATV did to it (but much better, of course).

And as for gripes about timeline 'mix-ups', to an non-hardcore fan, the conflicts are quite glaring. You need to talk to people like the ones here, before you can figure out the subtleties of 'conflicts' such Bossman's 'death' and Paladin's non-Scottishness, etc, etc, ad infinitum.

Back