What were the worst injustices in the Wing Commander Movie?

injustices in WCM

the actors who played Blair and Maniac

capships looking like submarines

the way the kilrathi looked

the fighters looking like shit (only the dralthi looked good)

the Pilgrim thing

Rosie

Things that the movie did right

the beat up look of the ships

the Pulsar jumping thing

despite the list, i love the movie, as a REPRESENTATION of what the WC games are. i tend to look at it as a way to perhaps intrest people in the games, instead of actually trying to fit in the movie to the rest of the games.

as for what i would do, take the movie, correct what they messed up (see above list) add in a couple things here and there, and release it as a representation of what the games are. Either that or go back to the begining of the war and start from scratch, include Tolwyn but thats about the only old character, and then work to include the movie in the timeline of WC

To show that I don't hate the movie, I'll say what I liked from Aries' list.

'injustices in WCM

the actors who played Blair and Maniac'

No Mark Hamil or Tom Wilson. Still, I guess they should have made the movie at least ten years earlier for it to work. Or maybe their children (dunno if they have any) could have played the role.

capships looking like submarines

The movie was meant to be similar to Das Boot, or at least that's what a lot of people compare it to. Thinking now, it did seem to be rather cramped.

the way the kilrathi looked

Even Chris Roberts said that he didn't like the way they looked, when he replied to a fan critiquing the movie. (!)

the fighters looking like shit (only the dralthi looked good)

They looked like the planes Dick Dasterdly flew in that cartoon where he always chased after that war time mail pidgion. Yeah, I like the look of the game ships better, especially those that resemble today's fighters.

the Pilgrim thing

Yeah, it bugged me too. But then I did a lot of looking into McCarthyism, who brought up all of those Soviet communist fears in the 1950's (the thing with the Pilgrims was intended to be the 26th equivilent, right down to it being called McDanialism) and watched the movie again, and appreciated what was done. And I don't think it was in the movie, but in the script Devereaux recounts how Pilgrim terrorists took everything from her or some such

Rosie

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to here. My opinion of Rosie is that I guess she was Spirit, but diffirent to fit in more with the people of 1999. She was alright, and was integral to part of the storyline, but I wouldn't have missed it if it wasn't included.

Hey, even those who "don't need to" (ie have a girlfriend) do it. I'm living proof. And before you ask... yes, I get some. I've never met anyone who never does it.

Edit- back on track... Rosie was not integral to the story. They could have pulled her character entirely and none would have missed it. What it did was turn Wing Commander into Jerry Springer. Sensationalism sucks.

What? What? What? Jerry Springer? What? (Stops Austin parody). I've said it about a week ago, and I'll say it again here. Jerry Springer can not possibly hold a torch to Australian politics.

Re: wanking. Good stress relief. That's all the comment I'll hopefully make here before things get too low brow. No, actually, before I do, here's a song on wanking, curtasy of Kevin 'Bloody' Wilson, who you may remember came up with the Bush joke and a whole bunch of other stuff that Devereaux would freak at if she ever saw it. Let's go.

I gave up wanking this morning
I never thought that I could
I'm feeling better already
And this time I'm off it for good

When I first wanked I thought I was so clever
And all of my mates, they were mugs
Thought I was the first bloke here of Earth
Who'd ever played with her slug
It was my own little secret
And I never told anyone
And the feeling I got the first time I shot
Was like chooks flying out of my bum

I'm giving up wanking tomorrow
Then I won't get these mad headaches
And then I'll be off it for good

I've wanked in some unlikely places
The shower the beach and the pool
A dunny a tram and the pictures
And biology lessons at school
And once my grandmother caught me
Wanking myself in my room
But to her surprise I just shut my eyes
And imagine her standing there nude

I'm giving up wanking Tuesday
Then I wont squint like I do now

My dad says it's gonna take willpower
There really is no easy trick
I honestly thought I'd need surgery
To help get my hand off my dick
My dad's been a real inspiration
He really has been a great help
He knows what I go through and what just to do
Because he gave it up yesterday himself

I'm giving up wanking next Friday
And I'll throw away my thick glasses

So if you say you don't wank you're a lier
And a fool if you say that you do
So the next time you see President Bush on TV
Remember he wanks himself too

I'm giving up wanking come Christmas
And I'll sell my dog and my white cane

And I'll throw away my dark glasses
And then I'll be off it for good.

moving on....... how many out there think that the Tiger's Claw opening and closing like it did to raise shields was just plain wierd?

I thought it was awesome. Aside from sheilds, it could close it's launch deck? Cool!

Originally posted by LeHah
I thought it was awesome. Aside from sheilds, it could close it's launch deck? Cool!

Yeah I thought the opening/closing of the launch deck was cool too. I also thought how the Tiger's Claw fired there topidos through tubes like a submarine was also really sweet. :D

-Izouya

i thought it was wierd cause if the carrier gets ambushed, it would take precious moments to open up the fight deck for the fighters to get out into space. Yes it gives added protection to the fight deck, but it also leaves the carrier helpless for a few seconds.

How does it leave a carrier helpless to launch it's fighters, close an extra set of armor and then open up with it's anti-fighter batteries?

i'm saying it would leave the carrier helpless to have to open it's flight deck then launch fighters

they had to close the flight deck to raise shields, so they would have a choice btwn shields or fighters and point defense can be easily overwelmed.

Carriers aren't meant for capital ship warfare in the first place.

Back