What were the worst injustices in the Wing Commander Movie?

OK, sorry ;)

What I wanted to say is that the WCM's Angel was not so different from the games' one: a good wing commander who wants everybody back home at the end of the mission... a wing commander with feelings too, who loves her pilots like little sisters & brothers (well, not ALL her pilots)...

Contrary to Blair... who is the kind of hero I've already seen in many many movies...

It can't be denied that the game's Blair is not that kind of character full of stories, feelings, etc...

WCM's Blair is not really different from that one.

What I criticize is that I think they should have work a little more on Blair's character.

I did appreciate the movie, cause I know Wing Commander... but the lack of "good" character may have play a role in the fact that the movie failed to catch the audience attention.

That brings up an interesting topic... why dont you think the Wing Commander movie was a success? Do you think it could have been?

Well although I liked the movie, my girlfriend fell asleep half way through. I guess it was not exciting or interesting enough to keep a non fan's attention.

I must admit even I thought it was quite slow. In response to the criticism about the Kilrathi, I thought they were good. WCIII were better, but WCM Kats were ok.

The movie would had been a success if...
If they had stuck to the game storyline / ships / weapons / characters (who the hell is Rosie???), if they showed a Tiger´s Claw that really looked like the WC1 Claw (or the UE Bengal :D ), if the Kilrathi didn´t look like plastic dolls, if they had more money, if Chris Roberts had let an experienced director take over, if they had picked a better timing (not close to SW:TPM), if they had picked up good actors like they did for the games, and I could go on and on :(

I think they should have stuck to the game details because they make sense, and the movie sometimes does not. And at least WE would be happier with the movie.

It´s amazing how well can Roberts direct a FMV (specially in WC4) and how bad he is as a movie director. I wish he had made for the movie sequences as thrilling as WC4´s Blair inside the Black Lance HQ or the battle between the Vesuvius and the Intrepid with the amazing arrival of the St. Helens.

EDIT: sorry, I forgot, the Kilrathi in the movie didn´t look like plastic dolls, they WERE plastic dolls. Sorry for bashing the movie, I was disappointed by it, but this is a first-and-last movie-cursing you´ll hear from me.

The worst injustice to the Wing Commander movie are these goddamned threads by ego-masturbating children who didn't like the movie and then dig up old threads!

That´s ok, I think the children who do and do not like the movie are free to express their opinion, but it´s sad some children must call other people names (very adult thing to do) every time someone disagree with them.

For me, Chris Roberts had to make a choice between:
- producing a movie for fans only.
- producing a movie for all kind of viewers.

He couldn't chose the first one (he would have lost money)...

But trying to make a movie that everybody can enjoy, he turned it into a... space opera without an actual "soul" (for everybody to understand the story) -> Fans criticized the movie because it was "not" Wing Commander, the others criticized it because the story was too "simple"...

We debated about this subject many times, so I think this is useless to do it again...

I'm not name calling, Starkey, I'm offically stating what they are.

Hey, hey out there. I actually thought the movie was alright. It sure beat out The Mummy, Phantom Menace, Matrix, and other certified classics of the year. Actually, maybe the worse injustice to any franchise is how crazy fans can get, and how venomous they can be in trying to defend the smallest little issue.

Guess i'll agree with the others:

- The timeline: skipper cloaked missle's in the WC1 era
- The ships : they don't just look the same at all
- Marines : when did Blair and the rest become a marine?

I think the movie was to fixed on the greater public, not the fans.

Originally posted by LeHah
I'm not name calling, Starkey, I'm offically stating what they are.

Then I'll state something here, in that case. I would much rather be an ego-masturbating child, as you cal, me, than an impotent little girl who has to call others names to make them feel good about themselves whenever something they don't like happens.

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
Hey, hey out there. I actually thought the movie was alright. It sure beat out The Mummy, Phantom Menace, Matrix, and other certified classics of the year. Actually, maybe the worse injustice to any franchise is how crazy fans can get, and how venomous they can be in trying to defend the smallest little issue.

I would agree on one of those other flicks that the WC movie may have been better, but Phantom Menace, Matrix? I think your streching it a bit there!

The WC moive was a good movie IMO. Not anything highly fantastic, but a good movie for what it is.

I actually liked the Confed Capships. They looked more like space submarines than capships, but at least they did give them a different look. I think the movie could have used more combat scenes between fighters and even between the capships. The focus of WC is in the cockpit, not the lounge or bridge of a capship. But overall, the movie is a decent film. Comparing what movie could be worse, one only need to watch American Pie 1 or 2. I think if there was any waste of motion picture resources, AP tops them all.

Yeah but AP1 and AP2 made more money than WC and are getting *ANOTHER* sequel. So maybe stupid movies are what people really want :p

A bit far to say it was better than the Matrix, you say? Well, watching it, I didn't enjoy it that much (apart from the kung fu and bullet time). And after having my computer hacked, I hate hackers with a vengence. Movies I did like in 1999? The Insider, Toy Story 2, The Castle, The World is not Enough, South Park, American Pie (sorry:p ), 8mm, The Spy who Shagged Me, Double Jeperdy, Trekkies and Wing Commander. Anyway, apart from Devereaux (I call Angel from the movie Devereaux) I had few complaints. I excuse the way she acts because of Bossman. And then when I heard that Chris Roberts was trying for a Das Boot feel, I saw and appriciated what the movie was trying to do.

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
And after having my computer hacked, I hate hackers with a vengence.

You didn't get your computer 'hacked'. You had some stupid kid with some program he downloaded exploit a security hole that you probably opened/left open because you did something that wasn't incredibly smart...

Still, I think people who maliciously attack other ought to be lined up and shot.

Anyway...getting back on topic, I have something that I want to ask. If you were making the sequel to Wing Commander, ho would you go about it? What characters would be in it? Storyline? How close to the game storylines would it be? A copy of it, extension, what?

Back