What weapon effects should be used in the FA mod?

What weapon effect should the WC FA mod for Homeworld have?

• WC1 style

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WC2 style

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • WC2 and Privateer style

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • WC3 style

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • WC4 style

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Prophecy/Secret Ops Style

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • All game style (each ship era has its own type in the mod)

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
Ok, this is very important.

I am getting some help from LOAF with this as well as SvK (you woudnt know him, hes a Homeworld guy). I need to know what the most popular scheme would be for the Fleet Action MOD. Any WC game (apart from Armada) can be in the mod.
I would like this info ASAP as i would like to get this over and done with. Thank you

Have no idea what the Fleet Action MOD is? Head to:
http://nz.yaboo.dk/fleetaction/

Thank you

BTW, if no poll appears, then just tell me your fav.

Shouldn't this go in the fan projects forum? Unless people actually starting posting there when they're supposed to, the place will continue to get less attention than it deserves.

As for the question at hand, I'd say either give each ship the same effect it had in the original games (if the mod covers different eras *separately*) or update all the effects to a single standard (so, if the mod is set around 2673-2680, then use WC4-style effects) if the mod allows ships from different games to fly side-by-side.

IMHO, using (for example) both the WC2 particle gun and the WCP particle guns in the same mission would be like using the "blue star" jump gate for WC1 ships, the "blue spiral" jump gate for WC3 ships, and the "green spiral" jump gate for WCP ships, all in the same mission.

Short version: whatever you do, don't mix WC1/2 effects with WC3/4 or WCP effects even if you mix ships from those same games.

--Eder

I think you need to do 1 standard. I think it might look a little funny to have really cool individual energy weapons effects for prophecy fighters, and also have the different colored, diamond shaped projectiles from WC3. Just my opinion

C-ya

Eder ,you mixed wc2/wcp effects ? remember ? Raper2 has Wc2 Particle and WcP lasers.......and it is cool !

Oh, yeah, I've decided to keep the WCP lasers, but only because they look like Privateer lasers.

--Eder

I thought the lasers in Privateer were polygonal like those in WC3. The lasers in WCP were more cylindrical.

Ok, sofar 48% of the votes are going towards the 'All WC styles according to what era the ships came from' category.
In one week, the final decision will be made. Please get more people to vote in the meantime. Thanks.

BTW, in Privateer, the lasers look like they are from WC3, but the rest look like they are round like the previous games. All weapons in WC: P are round unlike WC3 and 4.

Personally the WCP has the best graphics so that should be used, but I feel that it would certainly be cool to have a completely new type of weapons effect.

Well ,just remember something.The Wc1/Wc2 guns were cylidrical cause of the Engine of the game.....I dont think the lasers where indeed "FireBalls" ;)

But maybe some version of weapons where cylidrical too.The Mass driver has 2 versions (look at the wc3 mass,and the wc4 mass) .So maybe some guns from Wc1 where really cylindrical ,like the particle guns ;) .At least my friend Eder made them look Wc2 style at the WCP engine !

I tend to look back on the guns from all games based on the shapes of their most recent - preferrably WCP/SO - version, since WC1/2 used *only* simple sprites, and WC3/4 used *only* untextured low-resolution polygon meshes.

In other words, WCP and SO are the only ones in which the developers decided to, or were able to, "mix" styles - why they did so is beyond the point, but the fact remains that WCP is the one game in which weapons are represented (presumably) without having first been converted to an evident standard (wheter the standards from previous games were imposed by their engines or not).

So, for me (and consequently, in my project), Tachyons, Ions, Lasers, etc. all look like bolts (think Lightsabers), while Particles and Mass Drivers look like energy spheres.

--Eder

Originally posted by Eder
So, for me (and consequently, in my project), Tachyons, Ions, Lasers, etc. all look like bolts (think Lightsabers), while Particles and Mass Drivers look like energy spheres.

Well... to be more accurate, Mass Driver bolts look like little metallic spheres.

Yeah, silly me. I had written only "spheres" there first, but then I edited it because I thought "Hey, that might give the impression that I believe all those guns fire solid projectiles"... Well, duh, I didn't notice until now that I had simply inverted the problem :p

--Eder

Well, its Sunday night and its been a week since i last posted in here. This also means that this poll is now closed. The winner is ALL STYLES. As soon as LOAF sends me the weapon effects, ill ship them off to SvK.
Thankyou to all those who voted.

LOAF, im waiting on the effects.

Back