What is with the Nephilim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH, they mention it in End Run, in a situation where the Tarawa is so banged up that the dampener system gets out of sync with the ship's movements and everyone is thrown back and forth inside it when it does high G maneuvers.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our neck before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth..." - Kahlil Gibran

Member of the LMG(Centaurian)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure in the WC2 damage screen it says "Acc Absorbers." In the Star Wars novels, they're referred to both as acceleration compensators and inertial dampers.

Whatever they were called, they were something Star Trek's ships seem to lack.
smile.gif

In Star Trek they're inertial dampners and they're located under the floor iirc. They prevent the crew from becoming pizza shaped smudges on the wall when going to warp.

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

I don't think there are many in ST who don't deserve becoming pizza shaped smudges.
smile.gif

Just a little off the topic (though I suppose this is the thread for it
smile.gif
) what link do I hit from the main page to find the Wing Commander 4.123106 fanfic story from a while back? I know what the link is, [https://www.wcnews.com/art10.shtml], I just want to know in what section it is in.

Hey I finally started replaying WC4, and boy is that computer voice annoying!

Anyway, I know there will always be inconcistencies in the WCU, but at the beginning of WC3, the ship terminial gives a little extra info on the ships. I'm sure WC3 is set in 2669, yet several of the ships are listed as coming into service in the 2670's. Can anyone verify this?

The terminal in WC3 doesn't give much info on the ships beyond missile loadouts & number of decoys. & I hardly think that any of the ships in WC3 could have entered service in the 2670s since WC3 is unquestionably set in 2669.

Err, the WC3 terminal doesn't give any information on when the ships entered service. You probably just forgot your brain pills
smile.gif

Thanks LOAF. Now that I look back on it, maybe I was dreaming, but things like that don't usually happen to me. Really. I'm sure it was right at the beginning of the game, and then the info disappears after a couple of missions. It was listed under "service date"

Perhaps you're referring to the cutscene where you first meet Rachel. She indicates the terminal & says she's got a Hellcat prepped. On the screen you can see the designations for the Imrecs - AIM ## or something. I vaguely remember this scene & the only thing I remember for sure is that it was very brief.

No it wasn't FMV, it was on the actual loadout screen. I can't believed my mind played up on me like this. I don't think I've ever imagined seeing something when it isn't there.

I played to the second mission where you get choose ships for the first time and... nothing! Arrgh! I've just lost all credibility I ever had with you guys! If I ever had any to begin with. I can't believe that, WC creeping into my dreams. I musta mixed up WC4 style ship selection with WC3 ships.

Why, you never had any credibility with us...
wink2.gif
Err, but don't worry about it, we all make mistakes. Except maybe Cpl Hades.

OK back to the topic. Sort of.

I believe the Nephilim ships are being classified as follows:
Corvette - Barracuda
Destroyer - Orca
Cruiser - Hydra
Carrier - Leviathan
Ship Killer - Kraken
Dreadnought - Tiamat

Now, if you've ever pressed F1 during the SO episode introduction, you can fly as a Devastator with the St Helens and two transports against a Leviathan and various other capships. In Duel, a Plunkett cruiser goes up against a cruiser and a destroyer, and you fly as a Panther on the side of the Nephilim. You're too far away to do anything, but my point is, on the map screen, the destroyer is labelled a 'Merlin' I think. Is that a nickname?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back