What is with the Nephilim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet again, I insist it's a matter of opinion. But I don't think I've really hated any particular ship, so long as I can fly and burn cats (or bugs!) I'm happy.

Pete, the problem with the Epee is that it's terribly easy to destroy. Yes, your speed and small size will allow you to evade most shots, but you will get hit, and you can't take much hits in the Epee. BTW, I have KS so visibility isn't a problem.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually used to love the Epee, the first time I played WC2 (but then, the first time, it was all neat and new to me
wink2.gif
). Quick and nimble, ITTS... sure, it has poor visibility (it has real poor visibility, actually), but it seemed like a good fighter, plus it looked damned awesome (no matter what else is wrong with it, it still looks great).
But then came that fateful day when I got the KSaga add-ons to work with my DOS version of WC2. When I got to the Epee missions in SO1, it didn't take me long to start hating it, because I kept dying. One second my ship would be perfect enough to eat off, and the next second, it would be gone. At times, I would stare at the screen for about two minutes afterwards, just trying to figure out what got me
smile.gif

I don't think the Rapier was that bad, but it was a bit too old... it should have been retired by then. You certainly can't complain about its handling though, because its YPR and acceleration are exactly identical to the Epee.

Quarto: I meant the Rapier has poor visibility, not the Epee. As for the Rapier PYR rates, well, I admit I haven't checked these out before I wrote my post... maybe it's just a bad feeling I get of not being to get the enemy in front sight too often with the Rapier, due to the way to reduce visibility I get.

EW: yeah, KS. To bad I prefer the original WC1 & WC2 to KS; maybe I would even like the Rapier with the "no cockpit" view
smile.gif

I know what you said, Pete, and while I agree that the Rapier has poor visibility, I also believe that the Epee has poor visibility
smile.gif

Nearly everything pre-WC3 had poor visibility. And when I first started playing I used to enjoy the cockpit view. Maybay Blair was too short to see over the dash.
smile.gif

Well I always thought Maniac would be to big to fit in a cockpit. Despite his bragging, he really does have quite a large physique.

You wanna tell me that in this day and age, where people fly ships across the galaxy and colonize worlds, they still haven`t figured out how raise seats so as people can actually see where they`re going?
JEEZ!!!
wink2.gif

Wedge009 said:
Well I always thought Maniac would be to big to fit in a cockpit. Despite his bragging, he really does have quite a large physique.

Pre wc3 maniac was quite tiny, so for sure he would've had visibility problems as well

I remeber reading somewhere that short, squat people made better fighter pilots. Something to do with bloodflow during high-G manuvers.

In my humble opinion (or rather, my cousin's opinion actually), the Eppe Confederation light fighter is one of the Confed pilots-killer aside the Scimitar.

Who needs the Epee anyway?

Thou shall not speak bad things of the Scimitar!
smile.gif

The Scim isn't bad, I mean, I'd rather fly it than the Hornet, and it's better at it's role than the Rapier IMO.

Shane said:
I remeber reading somewhere that short, squat people made better fighter pilots. Something to do with bloodflow during high-G manuvers.

Yep. That's true. It has to do with the heart not having to pump blood as far, therefore making it easier....least that's what I remember from that show. Was on the Learning Channel.

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

That's why it makes sense that pilots tend to be shorter than average. Certainly not as big as Maniac or Hawk.

Actually isn't there a height and weight limit? I can't remember it but I thought it was something like 5'10 or so is the tallest you could be

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

But WC isn't supposed to be realistic.
smile.gif

Hey, that means I could be a pilot... but then again I'd probably be too short as well.
frown.gif

I seem to recall the fighters were equipped with some equipment to compensate for high G's caused by manuvers. Of course in WC1 that was the first thing that seemed to get fried, though I never noticed a difference. I do remember them mentioning it not working well in all conditions in the novels.

Acceleration absorbers. They always seemed to go first for me in WC2. I guess the designers thought that'd be reasonable since it doesn't affect the gameplay like smashing the radar or reducing engine speed does. Funny that there's not even the slightest bit of redout or blackout as they did in Strike Commander.

I thought they were called Acceleration Compensators. That's SW, but I thought they used the same name.

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back