What is the Wing Commander 4.....

AKUMA1

Spaceman
...DVD all about?Does it have anything extra that the original didn't? reason being that I am thinkin instead of try to re-install it after all these years, I might as well watch the superior DVD quality of it, would make for a great movie to watch!

So can anyone shed some light on what it is?

They originally bundled a DVD version of the game with creative labs DVD roms way back when. The Double sided disk is basically the same as the CD version of the game with the exception that is has mpeg2 quality video in the cutscenes.

There is a single sided DVD out there too though that is identical to the CD Version in quality just that it's one disk instead of six.

Kool cheers for the clarification AD, right now I am just goin through the various other materials in WC3 like the lost scenes etc, so I may eventually opt to watch WC4 as a full blown movie as oppossed to try and reinstall it again...

Kool cheers for the clarification AD, right now I am just goin through the various other materials in WC3 like the lost scenes etc, so I may eventually opt to watch WC4 as a full blown movie as oppossed to try and reinstall it again...

It's not hard to get running. Just follow the instructions in the CIC tech support section. I'd recommend watching Qeeg's movie and replaying the game. You can never go wrong with logging some flight time.

For WC4 in DOSBox

For WC4 Win95 patched version

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea of how to get the video de-interlaced in the game, I read it somewhere about adjusting a line in the shortcut menu, but not too sure...cheers for the links for WC4!

Add -no_interlace and -true_color to the command line of the Windows version.

Hmm...what does interlaced mean exactly, and what difference does it make on the displaying of the video?

I've seen that term crop up several times but I'm not sure what it means or why it's an issue with WC. I've never seem to run into it with other old games I play - but then again, I don't know of any besides C&C and WC that have FMV's.

WC3, WC4, Prophecy and Priv 2 (non-DVD versions) have interlaced video. Every other horizontal line is skipped (or smudged) in order to manage the disc space of the movies, transfer rates of the drive, processing power of the computers, etc, of the time.

Kool thanks for the tips ChrisReid! You mention putting the text you quoted in the command line where is that found? for example is it a case of right-clicking the icon, then going to properties?...etc, on a general note I'll probably most likely download the movie based WC4 on here 1st as oppossed to try and installing the game again...will be interesting to see how it has been put together, plus with the sharper DVD quality of it, the print willl be better than normal!

Yeah, the switches are added into the "Target" field that you see in the properties for the shortcut, though I can't remember offhand if it has to be inside or outside of the quotation marks (I think inside, but not sure).

Back