What is the best death scene, IYO?

Yeah, there are some missions where your carrier moves while you should be landing/taking-off and that can be a bit embarrasing sometimes. :)

I believe it's in the WC4 novel that Forstchen remarks that, after combat, the most dangerous manoeuvre a fighter pilor must perform is carrier take-off and landing.
I myself never crashed during take-off though, and landings in WC3-4 were not much of a problem though. WC1-2, now that's another story alltogether...

Landings suck.

Especially the Intrepid/Lexington one. Which prat said that the Lexington could outturn a Hellcat if it really wanted?

Probably Naismith, being a bit spiky and a bit....well....Naismith-y

Please stop, I just saw WCM last night (again) and talking about landings makes me sad... Maniac's first true love... so young... snif.

Originally posted by LaFong
"So just out of curiosity any one else try and do anything similar with any of the wing commander games?"

I did wcp right through on nightmare without dying once, in one sitting too - took about 18 hours with some breaks - totally wrecked my wrist and shoulder though, couldnt use a joystick for a couple of days

YOU DA' MAN!...

Originally posted by Unforgiven
I believe it's in the WC4 novel that Forstchen remarks that, after combat, the most dangerous manoeuvre a fighter pilor must perform is carrier take-off and landing.
I myself never crashed during take-off though, and landings in WC3-4 were not much of a problem though. WC1-2, now that's another story alltogether...

Landings are also the hairiest part of contemporary (sea) carrier fighter operations.

Yet, I can't help but think (in WC terms) "Press 'A' for autopilot". I've never had a prob landing (even doing it manually) in any of the WC games, or taking off, for that matter. Could I be that atypical?...

Originally posted by Dekkar
Well in fairness not counting the Tiger's Claw how many times have you died landing? With a few exceptions it was a generally a pretty routine, and safe task. Still would have liked to take it manually though. After all in Wc3/4 you could always try and be a little stylish in your landings. I always liked bringing it in fast from an angle. Heh you can never be trully positive if your going to pull it off as the landing bay will be a flat sprite that doesn't open up till the the last second that way :D . Although I'll grant you I did have a quite a few crashes with the Tiger's Claw.

Never.

Landing IN TIME, before the Victory jumps, after Thrak shows you the vid where Angel gets eviscerated (WC3), now THAT was something of a challenge, but I never crashed

(Hmmmm...marooned or crashed---crashed or marooned, which should I choose?...):D

Originally posted by Chameleon102
Landings suck.

Especially the Intrepid/Lexington one. Which prat said that the Lexington could outturn a Hellcat if it really wanted?

Probably Naismith, being a bit spiky and a bit....well....Naismith-y

..Who the heck is Naismith?... The guy who invented b-ball?... The fourth Monkee?...

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
If it makes you proud, you are both incredibly stupid! :-D :)
Thanks a lot, Mekt! I think I can go to bed proud now... :D
BTW, you're in the lot too:
Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Yeah I tried that but very often I died such a stupid death (ramming an asteroid/cap ship, especially in Wc1/2 when I used my joystick's buttons to launch a missile but instead activated the AB), so I did give up after some time.
:p
Originally posted by Ghost
Naismith is the annoying Comm Officer aboard the TCS Lexington (WCIV)
If you fail a mission, you have the right to call him a *jerk* too...

Originally posted by Unforgiven

That's because he's using Aircraft Carriers as a basis. The best pilots are carrier pilots: they only get a few hundred feet to bring a several ton jet-propelled aircraft to a stop by cutting his throttle and catching his plane on a taut mental line to halt to plane.

Originally posted by Ghost
Naismith is the annoying Comm Officer aboard the TCS Lexington (WCIV)
And the fact that you get Sosa handling the comms on the Intrepid is enough reason to defect by itself! :D

Originally posted by mpanty

Thanks a lot, Mekt! I think I can go to bed proud now...
You're wecome. <g>

BTW, you're in the lot too:
(...)

No, that was a problem with my joystick. :)
But I admit, I did crah into the Claw and Concordia while trying to land a few times (of course, who hasn't). But it didn't take me years to realize I have to fly to the front of the ship or to ask for permission to land. :p

Back