What is everyone's favourite fighter

Matter/Anti-Matter plants are huge - they're used on capships. The ones on the Lance/Dragon were miniaturised and very expensive, and even then, they were very large fighters. WCP/SO era fighters are quite small, and I don't think Confed is keen on trying to stick M/AM plants in them.

Originally posted by Wulf
Thanks for the info, Raptor. I haven't got to the WC4 novel just yet! But that still leaves the unanswered question as to why all ships didn't have powerplants like the Dragon (besides the challenge element in the games).

Because the M/AM engines that the Dragons use are hideously expensive. And given the penchant of fighters to go Boom fairly regularly (unless they are piloted by a certain Christopher Blair), it doesn't make economic sense to equip fighters with them.

I would imagine that M/AM powered fighters DO exist, for use in specific situations (long-range recon/spywork comes to mind), however for carrier based operations they would be unneccesary. Are you better off with 1 M/AM powered Dragon, or 10 conventional fighters.

Originally posted by AzraeL

Because the M/AM engines that the Dragons use are hideously expensive. And given the penchant of fighters to go Boom fairly regularly (unless they are piloted by a certain Christopher Blair), it doesn't make economic sense to equip fighters with them.

I would imagine that M/AM powered fighters DO exist, for use in specific situations (long-range recon/spywork comes to mind), however for carrier based operations they would be unneccesary. Are you better off with 1 M/AM powered Dragon, or 10 conventional fighters.

Wouldn't you just love a world where money doesn't exist, like in Star Trek's Federation?

Money may not exist in the way we know it in Star Trek, but the basic rules of economics and politics would probably still apply.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Wedge009
WCP/SO era fighters are quite small,

I'd disagree, although I don't have the technical data in the manual, the Vampire seems quite large, look at the size of its engine nacelles, and the shield generator at the back of the ship, they are a bit oversized

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

I disagree that the Excalibur and the Vampire outclass the Dragon.

And I disagree that every part of the Banshee rocks. Though I like, I found her weapons placing to be not optimal.

The Vampire outclasses the Dragon surely. It is better armed, has more missiles. And I dislike cloaking ships in general, they make the game too easy. And the unlimited afterburner thing is not that useful.

And the Banshee rocks!!!!

I have to say that the Excalibur sure was sorry in WC4 because they were fresh meat to my Vindicator. And yes, the Banshee rocks when I blow it up!:D

I think that the the Dragon really does suck. The only good thing about it is its cloaking device that is pointless nearer the end of the game. Its Fusion guns are only good against capships, and anyone that say that it is better then a Vampire is mad. The Vampire totally out classes it. Actually, I think that the Thunderbolt out classes it. Apart from the fact that the Dragon is faster and more manoviable, thats all its got over the Thunderbolt.

I am going to let the point stand that the Vampire outclasses the Dragon but the Thunderbolt? Saying that is mad.
Althought the TbOlt is my favourite fighter in WC3, I don't let emotions cloud my thinking (not this time, at least). The Dragon has more missiles, twice the shield strentgh, more than twice the armour, superior speed and maneuvrability and its guns, while not as strong as the Tbolts' (though not significantly weaker) are more than enough and don't forget the Fusion cannons which were deadly against anything it hit.

I'd have to be a bit dubious about the claim that a Thunderbolt outclasses a Lance/Dragon as well. The Lance/Dragon is newer, after all.

Originally posted by Oggy
I'd disagree, although I don't have the technical data in the manual, the Vampire seems quite large, look at the size of its engine nacelles, and the shield generator at the back of the ship, they are a bit oversized

Originally posted by Zor Prime
The Devastator is quite large.
Sorry, but relative to previous generation fighters, WCP/SO era craft are incredibly small. If you need to, check the stats at https://www.wcnews.com/ships/

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
I am going to let the point stand that the Vampire outclasses the Dragon but the Thunderbolt? Saying that is mad.
Althought the TbOlt is my favourite fighter in WC3, I don't let emotions cloud my thinking (not this time, at least). The Dragon has more missiles, twice the shield strentgh, more than twice the armour, superior speed and maneuvrability and its guns, while not as strong as the Tbolts' (though not significantly weaker) are more than enough and don't forget the Fusion cannons which were deadly against anything it hit.

You forgot the M/AM engine, with unlimited AB.

I wuuld like to see a mission where a Vampire and a dragon face off. Perhaps in Vega Strike.....................hmmmmmmmmmmm

Back