What is a good setup to run all versions of WC?

U

Unregistered

Hi...

I'm trying to find out what is the overall setup of a pc to run most WC versions? In terms of hardware and OS?

I have the following hardware:

- PIII-700
- 512MB ram
- 32MB Matrox Millen vga
- 2 x 15 GB HD
- 50x CDROM
- OS..I can install any windows version. i have most winx version.

***man, i missed my old wc1 running on my 486x100 with 64MB. such fond memories of playing the original wc1. ***

thanks everyone for your help.

-- ultraboy

I'd say the best system to play WC on would be something like:

Processor: As fast as possible
Memory: 256+
Graphic card: Voodoo 5
DXR DVD decoder
any CD drive
32 gb HD with FAT 16
Sound Blaster AWE32 (ISA version)
Roland LAPC-1/MT-32/CM-32
Triple Boot to DOS 6.22, Win98 and WinXP

I dunno what soundcard you have, but some sort of voodoo hardware would be good for the vision engine (WCP, Secret Ops, Unknown Enemy)

Thank General. - more question...

hey general --

1. can i use my ati radeon 128MB agp vga?

2. what is a roland ....?

3. can i run most WC in win 2000 pro? or do i need to use DOS Box? or have to triple boot? since i don't have me. but i do have the following OS: dos, win95, 98, 2000 pro, xp pro.

4. can i use sound blaster audigy gamer's sound card pci?

5. the fastest CPU i have is my PIII-700 or my dual PIII-800
thanks for you help.

dc

for that CPU?

If you have ISA-slots available, try to get your hands on a gravis ultrasound extreme. and change your ati videocard for a voodoo banshee(AGP).

this will allow you to play the dos games with best possible sound when you
are "on a budget"

Gravis ultrasound chipset features soundblaster pro and roland emulators;

working:
wing commander(roland mt-32through mega-em)
wing commander 2(roland + soundblaster pro through mega-em)
wing commander academy(as WC2)
wing commander armada(as WC2)
wing commander 3 (native support)
wing commander 4 (native support, windows drivers)
privateer(as WC2)
privateer 2 (native support)
wing commander prophecy(windows drivers)
wing comander kilrathi saga(windows drivers)
secret ops(windows drivers)

the voodoo banshee will give you true 3fdx support for prophecy/so,
while also being a fair 3d card for fan creations, voodo 4 and 5 are better,
but not widely available.

I also recommend you use windows98 second edition

Thanks Mace !!

i'll try or setup then. let's see how it goes.

bye bye --

dc

Unregistered said:
hey general --
1. can i use my ati radeon 128MB agp vga?

It should work for all of the games I think. You migth have some problems with the DOS version of WC4 (but this is patchable). You also won't be able to use Glide mode unless you use a wraper which might be too slow for your system. However the loss here is fairly minimal

2. what is a roland ....?

A soundcard purely for MIDI output. To be put TOGETHER with a regular one for the earlier WC games for perfect quality.

3. can i run most WC in win 2000 pro? or do i need to use DOS Box? or have to triple boot? since i don't have me. but i do have the following OS: dos, win95, 98, 2000 pro, xp pro.

2000 pro is probably the WORST OS (besides ME) when it comes to WC. You will need DOSBOX for the pre-Windows WC games (pure DOS MIGHT be an option if you have a soundcard that has DOS drivers). You also will run into problems with the post Windows ones as most of them need Win95/98 compatibility mode enabled which isn't possible in standard 2000. It can be patched in however. For WC you'd definitely be better of with XP.

4. can i use sound blaster audigy gamer's sound card pci?

For DOSBOX and all Windows games you can. For pure DOS it probably won't work. Given your CPU speed this will get you into problems for WC3 (DOS) and P2 (DOS) as you lack the speed for proper DOSBOX emulation and VDMsound isn't too hot either here.

yep, you would need either a much faster or much slower machine. Your pc is smack in the middle of WC incompatibility.

If you had some older machine with a voodoo and a DOS sound card, you'd be set to play almost all games nativelly. If you had a modern machine (above 2GHz) with LOTS of RAM and modern video and sound, you could play most games in dosbox, and from wc3 on you can run the games in windows, and run a glide wrapper for WCP/SO.

But you're neither here nor there...

Thanks Everyone for your feedback.

i'll search for some of this hardware and see what i can find. it would be fun if i can still find old parts put together to make it compatible for most wc versions to work. haa haa

much gratitude for you all your help.

bye bye ---

dc

Question about with Matrox G4-MA32G w/ WC sagas?

hi --

just wanted to see if this card can support WCKS.

here is my detail spec: (changes from previous posting)

(this is the system i'll be using for most of my wc, unreal, quake games)

- Asus CUV4X-D board "can support dual CPU"
- PIII-700 x 1 "currently"
- 512MB ECC PC100 RAM
- 2 x 60GB SCSI Ultrawide HD
- Matrox Mill G4-MA32G VGA
- Intel Pro 10/100 NIC
- 2 x CDROM drive
- Win98SE
- Creative SB Audigy Gamer Edition 5.1

is this possible to run most WC sagas at the moment? like WCKS (win9x)?

thanks for all your help..

dc

That looks fine. It should run kilrathi saga, wc4, and Prophecy/secret ops just fine. The only issue is the CD-rom. A double speed might not cut it. Besides that, 52x cd-rw drives are really cheap...

Thanks Major !!

haa haa... my mistake. what i meant is that i have 2 cdrom drives, both are 50X. thanks for pointing that out. also, much thanks for letting me know that is setup is workable for wc sagas.

warm regards --

dc

Can I run most wc versions in win98se FAT32?

sorry to bother all of you again.

i just have another question:

can i run most wc versions under 98se with fat32 instead of fat16?
does it make a difference in the game play?

thanks...

ultraboy

It won't make a difference in gameplay. However some installers might have problems with it (Privateer 2 for example).

Ultraboy said:
sorry to bother all of you again.

i just have another question:

can i run most wc versions under 98se with fat32 instead of fat16?
does it make a difference in the game play?

Your options are more limited for Armada, Proving Grounds, Privateer, Righteous Fire and Striker Commander in 98se. You have myJEMM as your sole option, short of creating a proper DOS setup. You're also going to run into speed issues with WC1/SM1. I'd just highly recommend plain old Windows XP and DOSBox to do away with all those problems. There's little reason to use 98SE over pure DOS and/or Windows XP.

To prevent speed probs with wc1/sm1 you can disable the CPU cache - That helps at least for some PCs (did so for my K6-2 400mhz)

Back