What happened?

Kevin Caccamo

Rear Admiral
I was just wondering... During those ten years while Blair was in exile on Caernarvon, what else was happening in the general Wing Commander Universe?

Also, does Standoff cover the time period between 2654 and 2664? Or does Standoff happen somewhere between 2664 and 2669?

Standoff takes place during and immediately after the false armistice between the Confederation and the Kilrathi Empire, some months before the start of Wing Commander 3

Standoff mostly takes place in December 2668.

The other years you are thinking of (2656-2666) you can check out in the old encyclopedia timeline.

If you want to get technical, Standoff takes place between 1407 hours, August 7th, 2668 and January 1st, 2669. :p

I haven't actually played through the whole way- I tried to turn off non-plot dialogue, then all dialogue, but the cursing remained and I got sick of them swearing every other time I shot them or the like.

Does that actually happen? Not that I have the patience to bother.

I was just wondering... During those ten years while Blair was in exile on Caernarvon, what else was happening in the general Wing Commander Universe?

Surprisingly little is known about this time period - the suggestion is that the war was simply being fought to a stalemate, with both sides inflicting terrible losses but generally trading equally. I don't think we have any detailed timeline or even knowledge of specific battles fought in this area (beyond the occasional 'ten years ago I did this' reference that jumps into those years.)

Note that it was actually just under nine years from Blair's conviction and reassignment in late 2656 to the late 2656 to the first mission in Gwynedd in April, 2665.

I haven't actually played through the whole way- I tried to turn off non-plot dialogue, then all dialogue, but the cursing remained and I got sick of them swearing every other time I shot them or the like.

I'm not following.

By which I mean that when I played Standoff they were swearing every other shot I placed, and when I tried to turn off dialogue in the options screen it still happened (might've been a bug of some sort) but given that my parents were in the next room over, and I'm somewhat offended by it myself, I ended out giving up for the time being...

Since the cure for Cancer in the future how long do people normally live? in theory...

I don’t think we know what the average life span for people in Wing Commander is but Star*Solder suggests that it is somewhat longer than it is now.

Mr. Paz is a human, roughly seventy. Not old by any means for a core civilian, but an amount of years which can take its toll on the frontier.

By which I mean that when I played Standoff they were swearing every other shot I placed, and when I tried to turn off dialogue in the options screen it still happened (might've been a bug of some sort) but given that my parents were in the next room over, and I'm somewhat offended by it myself, I ended out giving up for the time being...
What do you mean ? What's offencive ?

That is kind of surprising -- I know we all have different sensibilities, but I don't think there's anything particularly offensive in Standoff. Are you sure you aren't thinking about Saga?

I don’t think we know what the average life span for people in Wing Commander is but Star*Solder suggests that it is somewhat longer than it is now.

That's correct, this was a conceit that was necessary to include a few of the familiar human pilots as aces in the manual... and so that Vance Richards could appear in the (sadly unused) single player storyline.

That is kind of surprising -- I know we all have different sensibilities, but I don't think there's anything particularly offensive in Standoff. Are you sure you aren't thinking about Saga?

I can't really remember any offending dialogue in either... I think Spoons said "Fucked up" in the "saving Sparrow" prologue ending, but I can't really remember anything particularly offensive in flight.

I can't really remember any offending dialogue in either... I think Spoons said "Fucked up" in the "saving Sparrow" prologue ending, but I can't really remember anything particularly offensive in flight.

The Kats were always pretty polite actually.

The pirates (or was it the Retros?) say a lot of "damn", some wingmen (Longshot? Stingray?) say "shit" in some comms, but those are the only in-flight things I can think of right now.

There's some f-word in the talking head cutscenes, but I don't think it's overdone at all... so I'd be interested in knowing what it is that others may find offensive as well.

Back