What happened to Origin

Which do you like?

• Total voters

Iceblade

Admiral
Does anybody have any details as to why origin went downhill and is rooting in a pit of MMORPG with no new game development continuation. And by game I mean a real game, not some stupid multiplayer thing, a game with "meat and potatoes" that is bought at a game store.

Groan.

What *happened* to Origin? They produced a succesful product, that's what. Oh, woe is them and us. Focusing on Ultima Online when the industry focus is 'MMP' games is *no* different than focusing on Wing Commander when the industry focus was 'FMV' games (in the mid nineties). Both of these were/are ultimately 'dead ends' when it comes to selling video games -- something else will come along, by and by.

(If you'd like to buy an Origin game at a game store, you can pick up the 'Age of Shadows' expansion for Ultima Online. It comes in a pretty box and everything. If you're waiting for something that isn't UO, Origin is set to announce Ultima X this week.)

Shouldn't someone make an offical FAQ so we stop getting threads every month about various conspiracy theories about how Product/Person X killed Wing Commander?

Ultima X ha! I have done a little research and a few people who have invations have said that it is going to be an MMORPG. My only hope for another Ultima game is this petition. Maybe a petition should be written for WC. HHHMMMMM!!!!!!
www.petitiononline.com/ultima10/

My understanding is that Ultima X is a 'non massive' massively multiplayer game, along the lines of Richard Garriot's original plans for the next game -- you connect to a 'hub' town with everyone else, but actually play the game in small adventuring groups.

Petitiononline is the most embarassing thing in the universe. No one will *ever* take a pre-formated *internet* petition seriously. If you want to effect EA's management decisions, write them real, resonable lettes.

Hey do you think we could get some Ultima fans together and write a petition/letter to send to EA and Origin. That may, or may not, work.

Eh, personally, I don't think Ultima is in any trouble -- certainly not from EA's viewpoint. Now, Wing Commander could use a letter campaign...:)

Iceblade said:
Hey do you think we could get some Ultima fans together and write a petition/letter to send to EA and Origin. That may, or may not, work.

Yeah, if every person who ever started a thread about what happened to Origin wrote a letter, they'd be swimming in mail bags.

I meant one e-letter with a lot of signatures, not everybody write an individual "mailbag" letter-which would only make them mad.

Groan. Companies don't listen to 'e-letters' because they require no effort to create. In order for EA to take you seriously, you need to organize a *real* writing campaign. A plain old pen and paper letter will be taken a lot more seriously than an e-mail...

So, since some of us are too lazy to get the info ourselves, would you be willing to show us the address so we can write old-fashioned pen and ink letters to origin?

Actually, I have a friend who recently bought all the neccessary materials to write documents on parchment. Like, oldschool style. India ink, caligraphy pens, sealing wax, and a signet ring. Maybe I'll write one of those to them.

overmortal said:
Actually, I have a friend who recently bought all the neccessary materials to write documents on parchment. Like, oldschool style. India ink, caligraphy pens, sealing wax, and a signet ring. Maybe I'll write one of those to them.

Hehehehehe

Iceblade said:
I meant one e-letter with a lot of signatures, not everybody write an individual "mailbag" letter-which would only make them mad.

:( That's the only way that has a snowball's chance of hell of getting their attention at all. Hundred upon hundreds of names have already been sent to Origin in "e-letters" to no effect.

Origin Systems Inc
5918 West Courtyard Drive
Austin, TX 78730-5037

Thanx for the addy. You are great. I'm gonna write a letter tonight (I'll probably type it, but I'll actually send a printed letter in an envelope).

Any ideas on what all I should say? Should I mention being a member of the CIC? Should I mention being able to kick Kilrathi and Bug ass on Nightmare without breaking a sweat?

If you say "CIC member" they may think you're on our staff, and the punishment for impersonating CIC Staff is death by isolation.

But you can point out that you're one of many active members on the Wing Commander CIC's community forums, where you enjoy discussing the original games as well as the fan creations (UE, Standoff, WC Saga, Heart of the T,..)

I'm a moderator, yet not CIC 'Staff'. If I were to email someone saying I were, Kris would probably rape me up the ass, or something.

Back