What games at E3 are you most excited about?

Sorry, I missed the connection with the Sim___ games... That was pretty ignorant of me. I enjoyed a fair few of those games. I just also was terrible at them.

LeHah said:
I hope you're familiar with the forthcoming fan patch for KOTOR 2

I hope they also the music with good sampling. The final script is on the game, unused. That would give a reason to replay it.

meisdavidp said:
Sorry, I missed the connection with the Sim___ games... That was pretty ignorant of me. I enjoyed a fair few of those games. I just also was terrible at them.

The beauty of The Sims is that you CAN'T be awful at it. Even if your sims fail miserably at life it's still great fun.

Well, I still blame KotOR2's problems squarely on LucasArts shoulders. They told Obsidian (which is staffed by people with excellent games on their resumes) to do both versions in 1 year. There was no way that Obsidian could have finished it.

Oh, Super Paper Mario looks awesome. 2d plataforming mixed with a few RPG things and it mixes with 3D! you have to see it to know what I'm talking about.

EDIT: BTW, who's getting a DSLite? That thing is sheer awesomeness in a small package.

I haven't played THE Sims... just SimCity and a few of the other earlier games... Haven't really felt the urge or been presented with the opportunity, I guess...

Well, I still blame KotOR2's problems squarely on LucasArts shoulders. They told Obsidian (which is staffed by people with excellent games on their resumes) to do both versions in 1 year. There was no way that Obsidian could have finished it.

Eh, you're blaming the victim. Lucasarts didn't say "Hey, we'd like to pay you to develop a game, you can release it whenever you want and surprise us with the contents!". They went to Obsidian and awarded them a lucrative contract to develop KOTOR II, based entirely on Obsidian saying that they could do that with X number of features in Y amount of time. *Obsidian* (supposedly) cut up the game to make the release date -- but it's almost certainly the release date *they* initially promised Lucasarts it would be done by.

(I say supposedly because I've never actually seen any official confirmation as to the nature of the removed material -- and I can splay open Ultima 8 and concoct a similar theory about the 'Lost Vale' material if I don't have any background on the actual development...)

I'm all about asking dumb questions - but why didn't Obsidian just ask for extra time?

I don't think it's ever so simple to do that -- Lucas paid them X-million dollars to have a game they could sell for Christmas... asking for *more* money to continue the game through a time when it would be *less* profitable isn't a likely solution.

I really read all over that LA imposed the time frame, but whatever.

The missing content is all around, though. People messing with the game files found all kinds of dialogues and game assets that aren't in the game we played.

BTW, coming up on the next EGM, about the old games in the Wii's virtual console:
"Estimated prices for the VC are “a few dollars for NES, $5 for SNES and $10 for N64″"
And the console will retail for 250.00.

Edfilho said:

I read that Star Trek was ruined by Rick Berman! The internet told me so! It must be true!

Dundradal said:
I have heard about it. Does it work with the xbox version?

PC version only, as far as I know

Edfilho said:
Yes, of course they did - that's the nature of the business (heck, that's the nature of any business involving creatives for hire). LucasArts undoubtedly wanted the game to come out at a specific time, which had been decided long, long in advance, and which both sides agreed on. Everything revolves around the release date - the marketing campaign is planned out in time to coincide with the release, and retailers make plans on how to best use their shelf space based on release dates. So, if you move the release date, you'll piss off a lot of people - the fans, the casuals, and your business partners. It's the equivalent of telling your generals to make preparations for D-Day... and then, a week before the landing, telling them that they'll be landing in Norway instead of France.

I'm hoping the hype and sales for TFD and C&C3 and other things reminding gamers of games gone by (Gametap) will provide enough influence to get a new WC produced....maybe next year...

Dundradal said:
I'm hoping the hype and sales for TFD and C&C3 and other things reminding gamers of games gone by (Gametap) will provide enough influence to get a new WC produced....maybe next year...
What we need is for a small space-sim to get success along with that. Interest in space-sims needs to pick up for a WC6.

A good deal of the missing content is inside the game on unused material. Also, the game mentions locations that can't be found, like the droid factory. Some parts of the end of the game make no sense because of this.

Delance said:
A good deal of the missing content is inside the game on unused material. Also, the game mentions locations that can't be found, like the droid factory. Some parts of the end of the game make no sense because of this.

Ugh, tell me about it. I loved KOTOR2 until I got to the final planet. Honestly, what the hell?

LeHah said:
I read that Star Trek was ruined by Rick Berman! The internet told me so! It must be true!
Yeah, and hating the internet while posting the internet is soooo original. All cool kids totally do that.

Ok, whatever, so Obsidian cunningly tricked LA into letting them make a crappy game, because they hate Star Wars.

Back