What do these thingies do?

The Kilrathi Saga diagram of the Strakha says it best: they're "useless pods" (or is it 'mysterious pods'?).

Originally posted by pygmypiranha
I know on the Mon Cal ships in STAR WARS the bulges on the ships are shield generators. Perhaps this is the same idea here...

I thought they were sheild projectors.

Originally posted by TFCommander
Fuel Scoops?

That's my best guess. Their red-glow on the front looks like bussard-ramscoops.

They also could be retro-engines; reverse thrusters.

I'd say the latter; those intake-like thingies over the top of the ship. The fins are attached to them; I was thinking those are the intakes.

I'm guessing the blimp-thingies are reverse-engines.

-Concordia

The Star Wars: The Essential Guide To Vehicles And Vessels doesn't say in particular, but points to various bulges and whatnots, giving them particular functions, like tractor beam emplacements and turbolaser turret locations.

Originally posted by pygmypiranha

That would be my thought on them. Shield projectors/shield generators... either or...

I've never heard the term "shield PROJECTORS", but it seems that would be pretty much interchangeable with shield generators.
(about the only dissimilarity I could see is that "projectors" might more specifically refer to the little port(s) in the ships' hull from which the force shield is emitted. )

There's a difference.

Sheild generators generate shield power, sheild projectors emit them.

Slight technical difference.

Originally posted by LeHah
There's a difference.

Sheild generators generate shield power, sheild projectors emit them.

Slight technical difference.

I always thought Sheild GENERATORS "generated" the shields....

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The Kilrathi Saga diagram of the Strakha says it best: they're "useless pods" (or is it 'mysterious pods'?).

It says "useless pods," which means that they we're thought to be needed, or were going to be used for something, but the Kilrathi decided to srap them before production.

Originally psted by pygmypiranha
Well, I don't think that we will ever really figure out what those "thingies" do.

They are easy to figure out. Shields are a field of charged particles. Therefore, the generators produce the particles. The progectors release them into orbit.

Originally posted by Meson

They are easy to figure out. Shields are a field of charged particles. Therefore, the generators produce the particles. The progectors release them into orbit.

They are? I always thought that shields were a dense electromagnetic or gravitic field that absorbed energy from an attack. This would make shields an ENERGY field, not a PARTICLE field (which would be hard to maintain around a moving ship as the ship would tend to move while the particles stayed behind...). Can somebody confirm the technobabble explaination of shields in the WC universe?

It says "useless pods," which means that they we're thought to be needed, or were going to be used for something, but the Kilrathi decided to srap them before production.

It says "useless pods" because it was a production drawing of the Strakha that they forgot to edit the little notes out of. :) Note that they caught it in the other case where we see the picture...

Back