What did you think of Neon Genesis Evangelion?

I never really got into it -- it always seemed like it was trying too hard.

I really liked Nadia, though, which was done by the same people, wasn't it?

Dunno, I'm nor really too much into anime, mostly because where I live, anime fans are world class jerks of the highest calibur. Anyway, I actually like NGE, but the last two episodes and the movie(End of Evangelion) make absolutly no sense, to me at the least.

I thought the series was ok, but any series that thinks it needs 3 endings because 2 of them aren't right and the third one ends up being that bad.... well, that really killed it for me.

Well overall teh series is good, but the end made me wonder what were they smoking when they made the lasts parts? SInce some of the parts left you wondering hmmm ooooookey that was wierd.

To me, the series is alright, but I wish they'd lay off with the Freudian stuff going off the hook (i.e. the last few episodes and movies).

I used to love this series, I've had two or three Neon Genesis marathons with my sister and pals.

We used to have huge conversations afterwards about what the hell it was all about...

I guess interest waned for me when I learnt a bit about theology, and decided the show was up the creek in that department... also I rediscovered Wing Commander.

Anime is very popular here in Australia, everyone has a taste of it now and then.

I thought the series was ok, but any series that thinks it needs 3 endings because 2 of them aren't right and the third one ends up being that bad.... well, that really killed it for me.

Actually there is a reason for the multiple endings, or at least why there were 2 of them, the 3rd one is beyond me. While the series was being made the producers decided they didnt like where the series was going, and that it would be too controversial, so they cancelled production and told the creators to just wrap it up quickly. Then the series became a hit when it aired, so the creators were allowed to make the movies which are supposedly the direction they wanted the series to end in but weren't allowed to. I liked NGE for the most part, but a friend of mine who studies astrology and a lot of different religions said that anyone with hobbies like his should find all the connections fascinating.

Didn't much care for it, infact I got bored and never got to the end of it, and I'm a big anime fan so that's rare for me. Ofcourse I'm not a big fan of mech animes, I'll even take Fumoffu over FMP any day of the week.
I actually preffered RahXephon, I didn't find that fantastic either, but I did atleast get to the end.

NGE is actually my favorite anime series. So much so, I refuse to read anything on the internet about it because I know what jerks the stereotypical anime fan is.

That said, I'm not big into anime. (Yes, I do have a Ghost In The Shell wall-poster-scroll-thing but thats because the brackets that hold up my blinds broke years ago) I do enjoy an occasional movie like Ninja Scroll (which is just funny and bizzare) or a show like NGE or Escaflowne (which is a good story with incredibly crude animation).

I found Trigun disappointing and Lain to be too "David Lynch without David Lynch".

I'm a big fan of "western" animation, though. Richard Williams did things that anime can't even catch up to and I have a strong fondness for the Fleischer Studios material and classic Warner Bros cartoons, as well.

I'll say this again: End of evangelion is a odd-ass movie. Although the JSSDF attack on Nerv was... well, I'm even furtheer desensitzed now after the takeover.
I wont spoil it, but it's shockly violent. Oh, and NERV security guard are pussys.( Correct me if i'm wrong, but I dont ever see a NERV security guard fire a single bullet throughout the movie. their armed with bullet-hose Uzis(the full size, not the micro and the Ingram))

While I enjoy the movie (mostly the first half), I find the end used in the series to be infinitely more satisfying - which is something most of the anime watching internet would disagree with me on.

I enjoyed the series, actually. I even liked both endings. Though the movie ending left me with a great sense of loss and emptiness afterwards. I heard that a few students in Japan committed suicide after seeing "End of Evangelion" in theaters.
Considering how I felt at the time, I sympathized.
I think one of the major highlights was using classical music in their later action scenes. It gave me a renewed love for "Ode to Joy", certainly. :)

the end of evangelion killed my brain
and I can completely understand why you want to kill yourself after seeing it.

IIRC Kaworu was really an Angel in disguise and when he broke into Terminal Dogma, Shinji was forced to kill him.

I remember liking it years ago but trying to watch it recently I couldn't remember what I actually liked about it. I got into various other mech and sci-fi related anime and left NGE behind though I really enjoy The Big-O which has a lot of NGE esque elements and an equally confusing-as-hell ending.

I heard a rumor they were working on a new, re-imagination of the series due out in the near future. I heard the creator isn't all too happy with NGE because he made it during a very depressed period of his life which explains all the angst and confusion. He also created Gunbuster which is one of my favorite giant robot animes. For some reason I dig the classic, corny, scream your head off to launch an attack shows.

Back