What actually happened at Custer's Carnival?

Fruitcake

Spaceman
Lately a Japanese Claw Marks manual was translated which seemed to imply the Confederation launched a strike on Kilrah in 2644. But this is contradicted by the Voices of War manual, which says the strike was held against the Kr'azna colony. So which source should we trust?

Can anyone summarize what is actually known about the year 2644? I've played all of the games but read none of the novels so maybe they can clear this up for me.

Well, the first issue is the year. Modern manuals make a serious error about Custer's Carnival - the confuse it (2649) with the battle that occured during the Tiger's Claw's shakedown cruise (2644).

Anyway, here's the collected description from the last time I answered this question:

The Terran Confederation attempts a major amphibious invasion of the K'razna Colony in the G'wriss System. Confederation marines establish a beachead on the planet before an unexpected force of Kilrathi fighters destroys their space support. Ten Drayman transports carrying 2,000 marines retreats to Terran space, pursued by Kilrathi fighters. Without support, their fate is sealed. Commodore Geoffrey Tolwyn makes the TCS Tiger's Claw the flagship of a tiny squadron, sending it into Kilrathi space to fight a delaying action until further reinforcements can arrive. During the action, Tolwyn relieves Captain Thorn of command of the Tiger's Claw, charging him with cowardice in the face of the enemy. Tolwyn takes command himself. Over three days more than half the Tiger's Claw pilots are killed in action -- and the carrier herself is crippled, losing three-quarters of her engines. The surviving marines escape, and Tiger's Claw spends six months in drydock being repaired and refitted. Two Gold Stars (as well as other medals) are awarded to Tiger's Claw crewman -- one posthumously, and one to 2nd Lt. James Taggart.

Stuff comes from all over...

- Basic story is from Claw Marks.
- Mention of G'Wriss system is from TCH.
- Name of the actual colony is from VoW.
- Number of marines is from the WC1/2 guide.
- Tolwyn's taking command is from the WC3 novel.
- Paladin's medal is from the WCP guide.

(I believe that what the Japanese manual says is that it's part of a push *towerds* Kilrah itself - like invading France in a push towards Berlin.)

Back