What a disgrace!

No, the CIC is the right place for reading the everyone's opinion.

Because (your) uninformed opinion is the best kind?

I have talk about my anxiety as a fan.

Questions about Arena or anything involving the series are more than welcome - but the cynical attitudes of many should be left at the door, thank you.

Hehe I get that a lot lately, it used to be "there is no spoon" some years ago when the matrix was still hawt.

Well, obviously it's not true that there is no spoon, or else you wouldn't be here.

Besides, Matrix is so overdone it's not even remotely funny, any more. You can't swing a Dor-chak without hitting a Neo or Trinity at DragonCon. :p

You can't swing a Dor-chak without hitting a Neo or Trinity at DragonCon.

At my local mall some years ago, there was an army of 12 - 15 year olds dressed as Neo. Everyone in the food court stopped to watch them. I just hung my head in shame.

No, the CIC is the right place for reading the everyone's opinion. I have talk about my anxiety as a fan.

There's a thin line between "vocalizing" ("textualizing?" nah-sounds made up) and griping. Put it this way, if you aren't into this, but would like to see future full-production single player WC games... start threads talking about what you'd like to see!

You know we've got Sean Penney, one of the producers of the game, lurking and reading..right? :) So, rather than being so negative... try adding a few thoughts... what could be done better? (no, telling us you think the whole thing sucks is NOT what I mean) If you can't make yourself take an interest in Arena, then start another thread for what you'd like to see in a future WC game.

Dig into the new canon they're adding (30 years after WCP, etc.) and explore it a little, if you've got the passion about Wing Commander, then try adding something positive... you might be surprised!

I can't believe there's so many people on this forum who aren't totally excited at the prospect of teaming up with real people and launching an organised assault on an enemy capship!

Yeah, wildcat...

Guys, let's quit talking so much bloody rubbish! I'd be geeked to find out when/if they can put out a preview "beta" or demo of some kind ;-)

All XBox Live Arcades have a playable demo released at the same time as the actual game. You can download the demo and unlock it into the full game when you buy it. Betas are exceptionally rare for console games.

Because (your) uninformed opinion is the best kind?

Yes any opinion not agreeing with this guy is an uniformed opinion. Oh wait, how dare someone actually doubt the WC Franchise, I mean even bringing up the idea is just absurd, isn't it?

Questions about Arena or anything involving the series are more than welcome - but the cynical attitudes of many should be left at the door, thank you.

So as long as the questions allow you to wet yourself with excitement, you'll tolerate them huh? Last I checked, people are allowed to have their own opinions, you know there's this thing called freedom of speech.

And for the record, the only reason my cynicsm exists is because eventually I may have to spend money for this, and I hate wasting my money. I mean EA has had some bad games before. I hope it doesn't flop, but gotta be prepared.

So as long as the questions allow you to wet yourself with excitement, you'll tolerate them huh? Last I checked, people are allowed to have their own opinions, you know there's this thing called freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism. The same claim that lets you say whatever you want about video games lets LeHah say whatever he wants abouty ou.

Furthermore, it might not be a good idea to test the exact boundaries of your freedom on this privately owned message board by provoking others with snotty statements like "Last I checked, people are allowed to have their own opinions, you know there's this thing called freedom of speech."

If I had my way, anyone who claimed that would get slapped with an immediate ban, simply to prove that they, in fact, do not have such freedom around here.

You are allowed to have your opinion, even if it's flimsy. You're even allowed to claim equivalence between our warranted enthusiasm and your unwarranted cynicism, even though that's stupid. I wouldn't go so far as to say you're allowed to make smug declarations of your own untouchability, however.

Well, yes, that's over the top but also true. Freedom of Speech refers to the fact that the United States Government can't regulate your speech -- a private message board operator can.

(And beyond that, even the government can make laws punishing things like hate speech... so waving Freedom of Speech around is never an absolute.)

Danaus said:
I read the book (it was the only book I ever read in life for pleasure). I liked it.
This quote alone makes me want to ignore anything you might think or say. I will never respect a creature who hates reading. Books are awesome.
A being like that is certainly very poor in spirit.

And for the record, the only reason my cynicsm exists is because eventually I may have to spend money for this, and I hate wasting my money. I mean EA has had some bad games before. I hope it doesn't flop, but gotta be prepared.

So, considering that Time = Money, why don't you stop wasting your and our time with your juvenile ranting?

Word to the wise: If EA released WC1 on the XBLA, we would all buy it in a second, but none of the newer kids would even bother trying it. So that would have been terrible for the future of the franchise. Even if YOU don't like the concept behind Arena much, you MUST have enough brain cells to understand how it is probably the BEST next step EA could take with the WC brand.

This quote alone makes me want to ignore anything you might think or say. I will never respect a creature who hates reading. Books are awesome.
A being like that is certainly very poor in spirit.
Eh, get over yourself - you read books, so you're better than everybody who doesn't? That certainly makes you very poor in spirit indeed.

One of the wisest people I've ever known is a woman who fought as a partisan during WWII, and then spent a decade in a Soviet labour camp in Siberia - that's where she got her wisdom from, not from the books she read. Now, I happen to read dozens and dozens of books every year - and not one of them has ever had half as much impact on me as a single conversation with this woman. Books are a way of getting knowledge across, but they're not the only, nor even the best way of doing so.

(I'm not trying to argue that Danaus is worth listening to, mind you - so far, everything points to the opposite conclusion :). But if you're gonna judge people on the basis of whether they've got the same hobbies as you, you're an idiot)

All XBox Live Arcades have a playable demo released at the same time as the actual game. You can download the demo and unlock it into the full game when you buy it.

And for the record, the only reason my cynicsm exists is because eventually I may have to spend money for this, and I hate wasting my money.

Of all the posts that you could've replied to with a silly statement like that...

Sometimes you're even allowed to play the entire single player mode for free, and have to pay to unlock multiplayer and achievements.

Eh, get over yourself - you read books, so you're better than everybody who doesn't? That certainly makes you very poor in spirit indeed.

One of the wisest people I've ever known is a woman who fought as a partisan during WWII, and then spent a decade in a Soviet labour camp in Siberia - that's where she got her wisdom from, not from the books she read. Now, I happen to read dozens and dozens of books every year - and not one of them has ever had half as much impact on me as a single conversation with this woman. Books are a way of getting knowledge across, but they're not the only, nor even the best way of doing so.

(I'm not trying to argue that Danaus is worth listening to, mind you - so far, everything points to the opposite conclusion :). But if you're gonna judge people on the basis of whether they've got the same hobbies as you, you're an idiot)

Hey, Quarto, chill out. Way to miss my point by miles. The woman you described has nothing to do with a guy who hates reading. I don't I'm think better than anyone else... I just believe that HATING reading, when you are equipped with the time and skills to do so is something that speaks volumes about oneself.

Reading is not a just a hobby, like making miniature railroads. The "real life is better than books ~~~" point of view is cute, but you simply cannot DO everything in life. I cannot fight in WW2 as a partisan and I cannot get sent to a Gulag, but I can learn a couple of things about those experiences with books written by the people who did... Like the woman you just described. I cannot be a part of a Russian family during the Napoleonic wars, nor a Moscow guy who killed the woman to whom he owed money, nor a Danish prince torn between vengeance and letting go... Nevertheless I fed all those scenarios to my mind and my imagination.

When a regular person decided he or she WILL NOT read any books, 99,9999999% of the time he or she is confining himself to the pedestrian and vulgar experiences of his or her daily life. Going to work or school, going home, sleeping.

Sure, you have TV, but that's like living on ramen or McDonalds your whole life. And we all know what happens to people who do that.

I know very well that there are many, many people in the world who never had the chance to become a reader... And I'm sure that it's not Danaus' case, because those people would never spend so much time, money and effort trolling WC boards. They have better things to do, many times surviving is one of them.

If you bother to read what I wrote before, you'll see I was very specific in my complaint.

Sure, you have TV, but that's like living on ramen or McDonalds your whole life. And we all know what happens to people who do that.

People have said this for as long as I've been on the internet and it's still one of the most ignorant things I continue to see. "Television is stupid, reading is better" is utterly asinine; the quality of what you're taking in matters greatly.

Otherwise, you're telling me that reading cereal boxes is better than watching The Seven Samurai or The Sorrow And The Pity.

LeHah said:
Otherwise, you're telling me that reading cereal boxes is better than watching The Seven Samurai or The Sorrow And The Pity.

I was going to go with the History Channel or the Learning Channel or something myself, but yeah - I think you made a good point there, LeHah. There are brilliant and foolish people who read books or watch TV day in and day out. I'm not going to pass judgment on anybody for doing anything. Just know (if you must) that I'm one of these TV and Internet blockheads (sorry - I think I just have too much ADD to sit and read a book; I sit utterly dumbfounded by and with some level of admiration for the people who can, honestly!).

For all the Arena naysayers who are being cut to ribbons out there, just a friendly reminder that this isn't exactly the most unbiased place to diss a potential future Wing Commander game in any format! :) It'd be like arguing the passage of a new edict or religious doctrine in Christianity, standing in front of the Vatican, and trying to lambast the Pope over it. Mind you, the whole purpose of forums is indeed to discuss and debate things, I realize. I'm just throwing out a friendly reminder not to feel too upset if you get more than an earful back over picking such a fight. :)

I'm personally taking the whole "wait and see" with a leaning towards "hopeful" in regards to Arena. The fact that it's something new rather than a recycled old concept is something in and of itself to get excited about, in my opinion. As always, WCNews is right on top of things in reporting all things Wing Commander and similar concepts going on in the gaming world, and when there was talk of some other things in the past few years (Prophecy on Gameboy Advance & a collection of games in a Replay package for PSP? - please correct me if I'm wrong), I remained hopeful like everybody else here, but didn't think much of it. Because Arena is something new (even if it's not in the kind of prepackaged thing on the shelf complete with a full-length video thrown in with it), I think the naysayers all need to try to be a bit more positive.

My own hope is that player interest here will reignite the series. I agree that from the gameplay videos I've seen, it doesn't appear to have the 3-dimensional freedom of movement as previous games (for some design concept of what I'm referring to in terms of an XBox game, I'd throw around the name "Crimson Skies" as an example of more freedom in vertical movements with a special maneuver system built in), but that doesn't mean that Arena won't be fun or have tons of replay value.

I have seen games with beautiful graphics, but shoddy gameplay that makes the experience completely worthless. But you're also looking at a guy who could conceivably get countless hours of gaming enjoyment out of a furious game of Pong too. :) From what I've seen in video clips of Arena, it looks like a fun concept with lots of fast action and multiple game types with some rather pretty explosions in a multiplayer setting. I mean, come on! They'd have to try really hard to make that NOT fun, I think! :)

So yeah, the gameplay looks like it's going to be different than what a lot of us Wing Commander kiddies are used to in ages past, but I don't think that's any reason to not embrace Arena as a welcome addition to a series we've all been starved to see some kind of interest and continuance in for years. Even if it turns out to be as simplistic as some people here are fearing (though I've seen LOAF and some of the others argue at length otherwise), it can still be done in just the right way to make for a thrilling experience. And the fact that it's built to be a multiplayer experience...honestly, it seems to me like they're putting their feelers out, and if Arena does as well as is hoped, I dare say that Wing Commander's potential future (as likely as all potentially successful future franchises) will be in terms of what it can bring to the community in terms of a thoroughly hashed-out multiplayer experience.

I've been an XBox owner for the past five years plus because I simply like the console and the lineup of games. I've never had XBox Live. Now Arena has me squirming in my seat and seriously trying to come up with a reason not to finally get connected! :)

Remain optimistic, fellow Confed and cat pilots!

- FireFalcon

the basic premise doesn't bother me
a limited/no plot multiple player free for all is a fine way to bring back the game, but I think it should have been sim-based cockpit perspective like ever other WC game

and as I've said in other threads, I do hope it's successful so that it leads to more WC games. But I hope the new games it leads to are back on the track of having a plot and be "simulation" games like the originals, with maybe a galciv2 type strategy game

Back