What a disgrace!

Just because the game has Wing Commander in the title doesn't mean it will be a good game.

Actually, since every Wing Commander game made from Secret Ops on back has been excellent in every way - why would that change now? Simply because you're cynical and haven't played the game (let alone bothered to read the rest of this thread?)

I mean if you look at the Wing Commander games, especially three and four, personally I felt they were just film productions with mediocre gameplay just thrown in.

Yes, I'm sure one would think that if they never, ever bothered listening any critique by any gaming magazine, website, fan or industry person since the series' first installment.

Because, you know, ladies are so attracted to blatant ignorance.

I mean who's to say this game won't just be all flash and graphics, but having absolutely no gameplay what so ever.

You realize you just shot yourself in the foot there. "Wing Commander games are bad because they have story and plot along with flying! What if this game also has great flying as well?! That means its a failure!"

Thats usually the problem with these arcade simulator things, they usually take away what made the series great in the first place.

You just bitched that you didn't like any prior incarnation of Wing Commander. So we should suddenly take your uneducated opinion on a game you haven't played yet?

Pull the other one, jerk.

Personally I never put stock in videos and interviews, people make those things to sell their product anyway, wait till the game actually comes out before I can even make an opinion.

How dare people talk about things you obviously know nothing about! Thats a violation of your human rights! All things should be cleared with AApt24 before people discuss them.

Once again, having an opinion on anything (least of all - on the internet) does not make you bulletproof.

I don't want to be pessimistic

Yeah, because I'm swimming in your optimism over here, lemme tell you.

but there hasn't been a wing commander game in years

Well, Secret Ops was eight years ago. Prophecy Advanced was about three years.

And we've also had fanmods like Stand-Off, UE (voiced by yours truly), Saga, a Homeworld Mod and several more "in the chute".

Safe to say that our fan base has been very busy without the likes of you pissing down our leg to make himself feel better.

that they might miss the bigger picture

The only one missing the big picture here is you.

stagnant franchise.

Because a new game constitutes "stagnant".

Don't let the perverbial door hit you on the ass on your way out.

Whenever I see this thread title, the start of that "we will rock you" song gets stuck in my head.

Appropriate, I suppose.

First off, I read the thread in its entirity, that said you just proved my point for me.

Never seen someone take such offense to someone bringing up the possibility of something being a disssapointment, not mention something as trite as a video game.

I'm sorry the concepts of reality seem to be ignored on the internet. That said, this Lehah guy is entitled to his opinion, and while I can disagree with him, I'm not going to chew his head off.

First off, I read the thread in its entirity, that said you just proved my point for me.

Yes, I proved that you were wrong. Thank you for being man enough to face your betters.

Never seen someone take such offense to someone bringing up the possibility of something being a disssapointment, not mention something as trite as a video game.

Barbarians at the gates and what-have-you.

Everything you said has been dismissed with cold, hard facts already - if you had read this thread, you'd have known that.

I'm sorry the concepts of reality seem to be ignored on the internet.

You finally said something you and I agree on.

That said, this Lehah guy is entitled to his opinion.

My "opinion" - a term I take offense at in this case - is one built on a long, long history with the gaming series and the facts given to me by not only the people who have played Arena already, but by the people who are helping make the game as well.

And what do you have? Generic internet cynicism, based on nothing intelligent and everything refutable.

I can't believe there's so many people on this forum who aren't totally excited at the prospect of teaming up with real people and launching an organised assault on an enemy capship!

Isn't this exactly what we've always dreamed of? I think certain members here need to see past their expectations of a new WC game. If Arena was the multiplayer element to a new single player game we'd probably be more excited about the multiplayer.

Yeah, wildcat...

Guys, let's quit talking so much bloody rubbish! I'd be geeked to find out when/if they can put out a preview "beta" or demo of some kind ;-)

My "opinion" - a term I take offense at in this case - is one built on a long, long history with the gaming series and the facts given to me by not only the people who have played Arena already, but by the people who are helping make the game as well.

And what do you have? Generic internet cynicism, based on nothing intelligent and everything refutable.[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked, whether one person likes the game or not is his perogative. Yes everything I've said is speculative, based on nothing concrete. That said, there must be a reason why a real WC Game hasn't come out since 1998, and no I'm not counting those fan made things.

Look, I don't want to see this game bomb. Personally I think this franchise could be brought back under the right circumstances, and I think the developers chose a good way to do it, to a point. It doesn't sound like a bad idea. That said, I'm not going to assume anything based on what other people tell me, especially when it comes to someone trying to sell what they've made. I've wasted good money doing that.

And I stand by what I said before, WCIII and IV really could have played so much better. I felt that both games had engaging storylines, and part of me just wanted to get through the games missions just so I could just watch the film part. It shouldn't have been that way, but for me at least it was. Personally I thought the best game gameplay wise was prophecy, but I had problems with that game too. Don't get me wrong, I loved the games ten years ago, but I'm just a little hesitant to jump back into a franchise thats been officially dead for ten years. I can make a more informative opinion once I've actually played this thing, but for now, I'm just not getting my hopes up. Thats all I'm saying.

By the way, don't you think its a little pathetic for you to think you're better than someone simply because you don't agree with what he has to say. And by pathetic, I'm implying a whole lot more that could be said if it weren't for the rules in this forum.

By the way, don't you think its a little pathetic for you to think you're better than someone simply because you don't agree with what he has to say. And by pathetic, I'm implying a whole lot more that could be said if it weren't for the rules in this forum.

:rolleyes:

Last time I checked, whether one person likes the game or not is his perogative. Yes everything I've said is speculative, based on nothing concrete.

In other words, you admit to making false claims based on nothing - and you want people to respect you for it?

In Connecticut, we have local slang for that. It's called "Being full of shit".

That said, there must be a reason why a real WC Game hasn't come out since 1998, and no I'm not counting those fan made things.

A couple reasons - the biggest one being industry shift; flightsims aren't the market they once were.

But then, WWII shooters died out for almost a decade between Wolfenstein 3D and Medal Of Honor. We're seeing the exact same resurgence here.

That said, I'm not going to assume anything based on what other people tell me, especially when it comes to someone trying to sell what they've made.

Then trust LOAF and Chris - they've played the game and they don't work for EA. If they say it's worth the attention - then by golly, it's worth your attention and mine too.

And I stand by what I said before, WCIII and IV really could have played so much better.

Beware of thin ice.

I'm just a little hesitant to jump back into a franchise thats been officially dead for ten years.

Thats your own idea - which still doesn't make a lick of sense. Wing Commander has been the furthest thing from "dead" - in ten years we've had Secret Ops, the Wing Commander movie, fanmods, Prophecy Advanced, novels, CIC parties on #Wingnut and a ton of other WC related events.

How does *any of that* constitute dead? The fanbase is stronger than it ever has before; we've been here the whole time.

I can make a more informative opinion once I've actually played this thing, but for now, I'm just not getting my hopes up. Thats all I'm saying.

You're being a wet blanket for no other reason than to hear yourself talk.

By the way, don't you think its a little pathetic for you to think you're better than someone simply because you don't agree with what he has to say.

Not at all, since I'm correct in what I said.

And by pathetic, I'm implying a whole lot more that could be said if it weren't for the rules in this forum.

And yet it took you a whole sentence to go ahead and imply anyway. Yes, you are a bigger man afraid of the forum rules, aren't you? Yeesh.

So, AApt24... you think WC "especially three and four [...] were just film productions with mediocre gameplay."

Yet, you think Arena might suck because "with these arcade simulator things, they usually take away what made the series great."

Was it the "mediocre gameplay" that made the series great for you, or am I missing something?

Quite honestly, it looks like you're just looking for something to complain about... specially when you admit that your opinion comes simply from your skepticism, backed up by "nothing concrete", and keep claiming that "the franchise has been dead for ten years" despite people having told you, multiple times now, that there have been official WC games since then.

Oh, wait, let me guess - you didn't like those games as well, which means that in your opinion, the franchise has been dead since WC: Prophecy? And somehow you thought that was a good starting point to build a discussion upon?

I have watch video again and i wonder if the conceptors really have played at least one time to a original wing commander game.

-what ? ok, ok, i'm a jerk but i'm not blind

Sure its a good thing for the future years to have a new wc game, but it s look like an average game for make easy money. Those game and console are so expensive ! Children really put all their money into this ? We could wait for something more interesting. Someone must tell them that standoff, saga and privateer remake are for free !

I have watch video again and i wonder if the conceptors really have played at least one time to a original wing commander game.

Considering it's an offical EA product, its safe to say that they're very aware of all prior Wing Commander games.

Sure its a good thing for the future years to have a new wc game, but it s look like an average game for make easy money.

A completely legitimate worry - until you read what LOAF and Chris had to say about it after playing it themselves.

Children really put all their money into this ?

Xbox Live Arcade games are rather cheap, running about $8 a game. Most kids can squeeze three times that out of their parents on a whim these days.

Can we just stop with the"I hate Arena" topics. Seroulsy, dont judge the damn game until it comes out. AT the least, give it the benifit of the doubt

when I was 8, my sister and I put all our allowance into buying a nintendo and accessories for about $200 and got 4 games.. thinking about it.. $200 went alot farther than $500 does now in 1989, so I think kids spend their money on stuff like this.

Hiya Ace pilots.
I've been lurking these forums for some time now and was almost doing a backflip of joy when I suddenly saw all sorts of info about a new wingcommander game! I've played wingcommander 3 when I was about 8 or something. Long time ago anyway. Never finished it because I didn't understood that I was suppose to cloak at the last waypoint before kilrah. (Hey, I barely understood english at the time, blame me =P ) bought and finished wingcommander 4 a year later. And Prophecy some time later.
I recently had the pleasure of redoing 3 and 4 (alas I don't have the prophecy cd's... I really need those... ) and I finally completed Wc3 after all these years.

*cough*
Enough about me and my gaming history, i'm sure you guys hear this kind of stories often enough.

Arena, in the very least is making my heart beat a little faster. Being able to fly an Arrow (one of my all time favorite fighters fo' sho) in a new wingcommander game alone is enough to make me run to the stores. (even though I don't have to since I already own a 360). I do understand the concerns of some people though. Surely Arena isn't exactly the same deal as the previous games. No singleplayer with a story line with good (and expensive) actors etc.
But really people, just consider this. After a decade, shouldn't we just be happy with any new WC game? Hell, this isn't even going to be 'just' a new wc game. We're getting old familiaire ships, lots of small details, no big 'story' screw ups (like the kilrathi suddenly being dogs and the nephilim peace loving tree huggers that only came to spread 'the way') etc.
For me, this is a small dream coming true. And I doubt this game will dissapoint me. Just try to keep an open mind. This can only be a good thing for Wing commander, if this game is a success the chance of us getting a full blown game is one step closer.

cheers.

Can we just stop with the"I hate Arena" topics. Seroulsy, dont judge the damn game until it comes out. AT the least, give it the benifit of the doubt

No, the CIC is the right place for reading the everyone's opinion. I have talk about my anxiety as a fan.

Back