Well, now what!.

Wingnut

Spaceman
My last thread was locked out and short lived! Bahohaaa........
Yeah, I guess I can live with the fact that since the last game was made many years ago and the movie the same. And just about everything here has been talked about.
I can see how you can get a little annoyed.... Ssooo!

What keeps you interested in Wing Commander?
------------
Wingnut

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm always having fun finding out more about Wing Commander...

i just find wing commander a great story. simple in concept but the way it has expanded is amazing... following Blair through the series and then having a game where you can control what goes on with movies and such... overal, one of the best games... plus blasting cats will always be fun

Because compared to Wing Commander other games are just not entertaining. Wing Commander has so much soul(as LOAF once put it). I've been looking for games(or other fictional universes for that matter) with the same appeal for years, but have found none.

Even Star Wars? Even though it's a movie series with game spin-offs.

Actually, I like Wing Commander better than Star Wars (in terms of the universe) because SW is just far too big, not to mention the several layers of 'canonicity' (yuck, what a word).

Originally posted by Terrorizer
Because compared to Wing Commander other games are just not entertaining. Wing Commander has so much soul(as LOAF once put it). I've been looking for games(or other fictional universes for that matter) with the same appeal for years, but have found none.
I agree on most of that, but there were and I'm sure there will again be games that almost reach the same level... I mean, I don't think any game ever will... but they try... :)

first example: Strike Commander... a great story, great graphics (at that time) but the add-on was too difficult for me, so I never found out how the story went on :(

second example: Deus Ex... for years (since Prophecy :) , didn't finish secret ops) a game didn't fascinate me the way Deus Ex did ... coming home from work, immediately started playing, then suddenly looked at the clock... "WHAT!??!?! 1 a.m. already?!??! Damn!"... you can be sure I'll buy Deus Ex 2 right on the first day when it's available in Germany...

So, how did the rest of you like SC and Deus Ex?

Originally posted by Jochen
First example: Strike Commander... a great story, great graphics (at that time) but the add-on was too difficult for me, so I never found out how the story went on...
Eh, it wasn't that hard - by comparison, American Revolt for the original Syndicate is an insanely hard add-on.

Strike Commander was made around the same time as Privateer, and IMO, they share similar elements, but, of course, with SC you don't have the same freedom to fly where you want as in Privateer.

If you don't want to know what happens in Tactical Operations, don't read on:
|
|
|
|
|
|
IIRC, the Turkish government has put on an umbrella tax over mercenaries operating from within its borders - you basically have to keep flying to keep Virgil happy (and keep your books in the 'black'). Eventually, you will be forced to sell your beloved F-22 - it's a plotline thing. Of course, if you eject (as if!) from the F-22, you don't get the extra funds.

One of your pilots kark it to make way for a new Israeli pilot, Ari, (sounds like SM2, doesn't it?), you have your turn at bombing the Jackals, among other things. Most of your faithful mission 'fixers' leave Istanbul because of the tax, a newcomer (who looks like Grayson Burrow's grandad) offers you work, eventually you make an unscheduled stop in Ireland. Terrorists have hijacked a transport(?) carrying nuclear missiles (sounds stale in today's world environment), you save Ireland from the missiles and get a massive reward, and the Wildcats live happily ever after... except for Virgil, perhaps.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Eh, it wasn't that hard - by comparison, American Revolt for the original Syndicate is an insanely hard add-on.

Strike Commander was made around the same time as Privateer, and IMO, they share similar elements, but, of course, with SC you don't have the same freedom to fly where you want as in Privateer.

If you don't want to know what happens in Tactical Operations, don't read on:
Well, looks I wasn't good enough to beat it... :eek: :)
Thanks for the plot...

How about Deus Ex? Did you like it?

Carriers....fighters....hotties.... and a simple thrill of stuff blowing up. You have all the qualities of the best flight sim ever created.

Strike Commander ruled! Especially the gauntlet. I will never forget this awesome screenshot I once saw. I'm being chased by 2 MiG-29s and 2 Tornadoes. The MiG-29s shoot me down. The Tornadoes shoot the MiGs down. When the screen froze to show the dialogue box, err can't remember what it said, I could clearly see me and the MiGs beginning our death spirals mere feet from each other - man that was something :D

Anyways I don't know about you guys but I never had any trouble staying out of the red ink. As for Tactical Operations I remember getting shot down a lot in the first mission while flying the F-22. But then that probably had something to do with me being a newbie at the time and not knowing how to dodge missiles :p

Originally posted by Wedge009
(...) by comparison, American Revolt for the original Syndicate is an insanely hard add-on.

(...)

I never managed to beat American Revolt, not even with cheats. :( I doubt there is any outro or so

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

I never managed to beat American Revolt, not even with cheats. :( I doubt there is any outro or so

How far into the game did you guys get? I think the only thing I made it past was one mission...

What keeps my interest in Wing Commander is the fac tthat it's WING COMMANDER. It just rocks. End of story.

Also, the flight sims are somewhat cathartic for me, as I've had a rough time as of late.

Originally posted by Soma

How far into the game did you guys get? I think the only thing I made it past was one mission...

When I played normally, perhaps three or four missions deep. When using cheats, thus being able to access any mission, I think I managed to beat 10 missions or so.

Man, it was so hard. Those enemy cyborgs could sustain 3 salvoes with lasers! I mean, it's ok to play against opppnents that are on par with you regarding technology but they were in such superior numbers as well. And the new toys weren't very helpful. The clone shield not at all, the airstrike just to slow and expensive.

Well, now what!

Because it originated the space sim genre, and nothing has ever come close to being as good.

Back