Well, now what!.

Re: Well, now what!

Originally posted by MadDog243
Because it originated the space sim genre, and nothing has ever come close to being as good.

There were earlier space combat sims.
What made Wing Commander innovative was that you had wingmen who you could order around, there were characters you could speak with, and the music used one of the new-fangled sound cards and adapted itself to the situation you were facing.
I also think that WC may have been the very first game to implement a branching series of campaigns that used your performance as a yardstick for where the game went.

Originally posted by Penguin
I don't know about you guys but I never had any trouble staying out of the red ink.
Nor I. Virgil has a habit of being even more pessimistic than Doomsday (and that's saying something!).

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
I never managed to beat American Revolt, not even with cheats. I doubt there is any outro or so...
Probably not, just an intense feeling of satisfaction... or perhaps frustration for having finished with no reward.

Originally posted by Soma
How far into the game did you guys get? I think the only thing I made it past was one mission...
I played it after finally finishing the Atlantic Accelerator in the normal game for the first time... finished the first three or four games, then stopped playing because I had other things to do (and also, probably subconsciously, gave up).

...it's OK to play against opppnents that are on par with you regarding technology but they were in such superior numbers as well.
Superior numbers and you can't do anything when your people are recoiling from multiple hits. :(

...the airstrike just to slow and expensive.
Was there anyway to aim those? I find them very ineffectual. (And why does one need to 'research' an airstrike?)

Originally posted by junior
What made Wing Commander innovative was that you had wingmen who you could order around... your performance as a yardstick for where the game went.
All that, and more! :)

It's true, I was disappointed to have no outro after completing Syndicate, especially since the intro was so cool.

You could place the beacon of the airstrike somewhere and around that area the bombers would, well, bomb. According to the manual you're researching just the portable beacon, the bombers you already have at your disposal.

With a energy shield you could at least run into cover without being incapacitated by enemy hits, except of course Laser and Gauss hits. Still, it was unbeatable.

How did you manage to finish the orignal Atlantis mission? I just fitted all of my cyborgs with 4 energy shields and 2 medpacks and 2 miniguns. Then I used the cyborgs as walking bombs, selfdestructed in the middle of the enemy group and then quickly healed them with a medpack. :)

Personally Im now even more interesting than before in the Wc series , cause of the storyline.Ive completed every game and expansion and now Im begining to order the books etc.

Wc is more than a game , its a mythology,a fiction storyline which is very interesting thats all.. :D

Now about the threads.I think that nothing dhould be locked on cause a lot of people are new here since the period 1998-1999,and lots of others are not here anymore.What im trying to say that even if there is already a talked about thread in the past, it was from different people.There are new people here -incuding me- with new ideas and suggestions to offer.
And think about the think "Wingnut" said.There will be no interesting for Wc from a lot of people if we stop talking about interesting things anymore because they have already discussed in the past.There are new people with ideas as I said.Im afraid to open a thread anymore about somethings cause maybe I ll be annoying you -as Kris Vancheke said to me-.This is not demcracy :D !! Well thats all. LOAF I hope you read this and tell me your opinion as an Adm.

Well sorry if you dont understand something (about my previous thread) but I was reushing and my English are not vey good :D \

I hope you got the point though

If Kris feels like closing a thread, he's welcome to -- he's an administrator. I personally am happy to talk about whatever anyone wants, no matter how many times I've done it before.

I like Wing Commander because its fun. Its simple to play, got a solid storyline and the Kilrathi have got some funny taunts. "You pathetic descendant of apes!" Haw haw :D I couldn't stop laughing when I first heard that one.

Wedge009: Virgil never quit complaining. I made him so much money, never had to replace an F-16 and even limited my arms acquisitions to LAU-10 rocket pods, the cheapest weapons available, just to make him happy. But did he ever express his gratitude? Well actually he did a couple of times, but the whining always returned with a vengeance ;)

As for that bit about researching airstrikes, well in Command & Conquer you have to destroy all the Nod SAM sites to get the airstrike option. But Nod SAM sites were hopeless at stopping GDI airstrikes.

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
There are new people here -incuding me- with new ideas and suggestions to offer.
My problem is that their supposedly new suggestions and ideas are not new at all. I'm sure you'd like to think you have great insight, but it's hardly original to suggest the movie Concordia and the WC2 Concordia were supposed to be the same ship. (random example)

This subject has been so beaten to death, you have absolutely no chance of ever raising something new. Any thread on this subject will always be a repeat. You always have people thinking they've discovered the ultimate proof that <insert product here> doesn't fit in, and then they get upset when their theory is shot down.

There will be no interesting for Wc from a lot of people if we stop talking about interesting things anymore because they have already discussed in the past.
I don't think the continuity debates were ever interesting to begin with...

There are new people with ideas as I said.
New people with the same ideas.

Im afraid to open a thread anymore about somethings cause maybe I ll be annoying you -as Kris Vancheke said to me-.This is not demcracy :D !!
Worst thing that can happen is your thread being closed. But you are right, this is not a democracy.

Who needs democracy? Which governmental system is closest to democracy anyhow? What would Space Marshall Kris's(Tolwyn ;) btw, I like Tolwyn, so don't take it as an insult KV) democracy be like?

Questions we should all ponder. One thing I find odd is how you Americans vote in your sheriffs and all sorts of executive functions in. Reason being I just completed a unit at lawschool called Constitutional Law (I'm Australian btw) and whilst we have separation of powers, the executive and legislature are combined. It seems to function more efficiently, yet its less 'democratic'.

Or has this been debated in some other thread? :D

Sorry Kris, just trying to get a little conversation started. Its fine if you don't want us to talk but then there will be no one to control right?

Perhaps you should 'encourage' discussion. You're doing a pretty good job at NOT doing that...

No offense, but *what is your problem*? There's no actual problem here -- you people are complaining about nothing. Kris isn't closing threads or telling people to go away or anything of the sort... but you're acting like he is. What's with that?

Well , sorry cause I started this.I disagree with Kris but I cant even dabate with him,cause he is an Admin.and I have nothing new to offer as he says.Not only me , but he spoke for all the peple that they have nothing new to offer.
Whatever, I dont care what he thinks.Lets just close this OK ?

Sorry again from you guys.

People are welcome to debate administrators -- but I don't see *why* it's necessary. Kris didn't do anything to you people...

Thats what I think. I dont have anything personal ofcourse with Kris.I dont even know him.

Lets just dont talk about it anymore:D

We are all OK :D

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
People are welcome to debate administrators -- but I don't see *why* it's necessary. Kris didn't do anything to you people...

Though I'll remind people so there aren't any misunderstandings... This thread is an anomoly and generally one would want to bring problems with administration up on e-mail at chatzone@wcnews.com as noted in the rules

:)

You never know....
maybe Kris is plotting something....and only TCSTigerClaw knows...

<X-Files Theme>

Back