Weird Kilrathi Saga WC1 Issue (Bummer Too)

guptasa1

Rear Admiral
Hey all,

Okay, first off, I'm a perfectionist. On one hand, I wish I never realized this, but unfortunately I did, so it's gonna bug the hell out of me until I fix it and replay all of WC1. LOL.

I just beat WC1...and with the ending cutscene...realized that there SHOULD be planets. (I knew because I'd seen a screenshot of the ending). Then I found a shot of planets in the flight engine too...

Basically, the game worked just great for me. But I have no planets. Or any other backdrops when I fly. All the ships appear - everything else seems to work flawlessly. I once and a while exit to find a ddhelp error (not all the time though), and it crashed once in Windows 98SE, but besides those small issues, no other problems.

Anybody else encounter this or better yet have a fix? I can't imagine why everything else works perfectly but planets aren't showing up...

Thanks. :)

I don't recall seeing any planets. I assume you're talking about in-flight graphics here. Unless I'm a little crazy and/or blind, all I ever remembered seeing in WC1 was random space debris while flying normally. This space debris would then disappear when asteroids or other ships would appear, so as not to overtax the 386 processors of the day. I have the Kilrathi Saga too, and the same goes there.

Hmmm... Well, maybe I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure in the end cutscene there's supposed to be a big planet (from the screenshots). And like I said, I saw an in-flight screenshot that had a plnet in it, but maybe that can be explained...or is some other spruced up version like the SNES one? LOL. I dunno. Any other comments? Thanks for chiming in.

The planet on the end secne, as well as other planetoids and suns should be plastered against the back drop of the game - on the "far horizon" if you will...

I remember the entire ending sequence. So here is a >>>*-=
=-*<<< warning:

The scene goes a little like this. Several Gratha Kilrathi fighters are flying towards the camera with a couple Rapier Terran fighters in hot pursuit. As they fly by the camera one explodes and the other 3 fighters continue and as they finish the fly by the camera stops to face a planet which the 3 are moving toward, the final gratha explodes and we can see the rapiers peel off. Infront of the camera is a large Earth looking planet and the Tiger's Claw (viewed from underneath) moves slowly towards the planet with it's turrets firing (green particles). The scene changes to show several Confederation soldiers raising a confederation flag in a dark sun set atmosphere with 2 moons in the sky's background. The scene is almost identical to the famous 'Iwo Jima' scene of World War 2 in which several US marines raised the US flag.

I remember seeing the ending on the Kilrathi Saga version and sometimes it showed the planet sometimes it didn't. Sometimes it did not show the Tiger's Claw firing it's weapons either.

I can recall the first time I played through KS and it only showed the claw firing it's guns but I don't remember seeing planet till a later point I played through the game.

Interesting. The scene plays out exactly correctly as above...except...no planet. I can't remember if the moons are in the Iwo Jima scene or not. The strange part is, all the scenes do seem intact besides this. And I have seen screenshots with distant planets in the background as well in-flight, but again, can't attest to which version of the game it's in. I assume they're missing in-flight. I really wonder what causes this in KS.

Yay for Wedge!

Venice.png

C-ya

There are a lot of differences between the original Wing Commander 1 and the version found in The Kilrathi Saga. For example backgrounds when ingame. There were heaps of planets. Green ones with rings, orange ones, nebulas, distant galaxies.

My big problem with KSaga wc1 was that one of the 'victory' musics would loop endlessly, making the rest of the mission nearly unbearable.

Had that problem two. If sounds overlapped the latter one would be loud. So if 5 ships both fired a laser cannon each the sound would be several times louder than usual. I also noticed the volume is VERY quite and actually quieter than the sound effects.
But I still love it.

I've had the sound amplification problem too. Annoying, but I could deal with it. The lack of planets and backgrounds really bothers me though. =o( Wish there was a way to fix it. Maybe I'll hafta put together an old computer and just play the original version in DOS. LOL.

When I saw the ending, I was like...what the hell? Because the Tiger's Claw still fires...it's just, it appears to be firing at nothing. I kept thinking - there's no way it's gonna hit the fighters. LOL. And the text doesn't make as much sense without the planet either.

You know, now that I think about it, I don't remember hearing any of the different victory musics when I recieved medals in KS/WC1. I think the game only played the Bronze music, no matter which medal I got. Too bad too, cause I always liked the Silver Star music best. I could be wrong though, as it's been a couple months since I played.

Mine always played the different music for the different medals.
Either way now that I have an original copy of Secret Missions coming my way (I finally found them!) I just have to try and resurect my 286 that recently died, or better yet find an old Pentium or something.

Yeah, I just picked up WC1/WC2 on CD on Ebay...it's great, because all the SM/SO missions are included. SM1 was my favorite WC1 campagin, I loved the script. The character interactions truly made you feel the reality of the situation...Shotglass was crying in his beer over Goddard, Maniac went crazy, everyone was talking about a suicide mission. It made you feel like you were a member of the crew, much more so than WC1.

This happened to me while I was playing WC3 during the Kilrah Run:
Basically, everything goes as planned. Right up until that last waypoint before I go planetside. I have to fight "Stalker" in his Stealth fighter.
Problem: Everytime I kill Stalker, another "Stalker" jumps right in! I had to keep fighting him and it wouldn't let me go. And this kept becomming a problem for the next five or six times I've replayed the mission.
Had anyone else had this problem before?

TigerNobleHeart said:
Basically, everything goes as planned. Right up until that last waypoint before I go planetside. I have to fight "Stalker" in his Stealth fighter.
Problem: Everytime I kill Stalker, another "Stalker" jumps right in! I had to keep fighting him and it wouldn't let me go. And this kept becomming a problem for the next five or six times I've replayed the mission.

The search button is your best friend. Use it.

TigerNobleHeart said:

That's because you were doing the mission wrong. You're supposed to cloak first or else that happens. :cool:

Back