Website update, May 29th

PopsiclePete

Mission programmer
Here's our weekly update ! Learn a bit more on what Eder meant when he said we'd not be wasting the time leading up to Standoff's release :)

Making scenes

Once again, not much progress on missions this week. Quite a bit of other progress, though. First up, Quarto's been busy writing new cutscenes. New cutscenes? Yep, new cutscenes - for Episode 1 :). One of the things that has bothered us quite a bit is how Episode 1 stands apart from the rest of the game. The first talking heads scenes appeared right at the end of the episode, because... well, because that was when we figured out how to do them. The subsequent episodes have been full of talking heads, but the first episode remained empty. Now, still having some time to spare before the final release, we've decided to add a few scenes to the first episode. It's going to be quite an improvement, I think.

In other news, Tempest has delivered another chunk of voiceovers. Just 44 lines left to go... well, and another 20-30 new lines for the new scenes ;-). As for me, I'm just about done retouching the Kilrathi fighters, and starting on the human ships. Definitely a lot still left to do, but just wait till you see the end result :).

Here's our weekly update ! Learn a bit more on what Eder meant when he said we'd not be wasting the time leading up to Standoff's release :)

The new cutscenes sound like a nice touch! While you guys really didn't need to go towards "The way forward is sometimes the way back" path, it should make a nice addition to the backstory, and character development is always interesting.

Much appreciated, folks! Looking very forward to it!

As Eder said in the update, it's because the Prologue was really standing apart from the rest of the game; as it's our last release, we want to polish Standoff as much as possible.

Yep, the problem with not having any cutscenes in Ep 1 is that it makes it really seem like part of some different product, because as soon as you go into Ep 2 you start seeing cutscenes all over the place and wonder why it is that the game has changed so much. Other inconsistencies in Ep 1 might also be addressed if we have the time.

We won't add new scenes just for the heck of it, they will strengthen the story (like they do in every other episode) and make the game look more consistent while at it.

Just going back to the Ep 1 missions from the flight history terminal should work.

Will the intro video be re-done (or at least re-voiced) also? It currently makes a slightly horrendous first impression, mostly because of the narration. Which is odd, because Bradshaw's voice acting is in general pretty good. Except in the intro.

Yes, some of the lines in the Ep 1 intro have been re-written and will be re-recorded soon. It wasn't our best writing, or Bradshaw's best acting. :p

Will the intro video be re-done (or at least re-voiced) also? It currently makes a slightly horrendous first impression, mostly because of the narration. Which is odd, because Bradshaw's voice acting is in general pretty good. Except in the intro.
Ok, who are you, and how did you plug into our mailing list? :p

Seriously, though - your question is as surprising as it is appropriate, because the Episode 1 intro is indeed being re-recorded. It was a strange choice on our part, really. There's more than a few examples of bad voiceovers and bad writing in Standoff, all of which probably could be fixed. The Episode 1 intro, however, is the only one that is actually going to be changed.

It's all my fault, really. I think the Episode 1 intro was one of the first things I wrote for Standoff. I can get over most other things in the game, but there's one line in the intro (" I'm scared to death that she might be dead when we get there") that just makes me grind my teeth at my own stupidity. Death... dead... ugh. So yeah, in the end I just had to re-write bits of it, and asked Alex to record the whole thing from scratch. Will it be better? We'll see :p.

Ok, who are you, and how did you plug into our mailing list? :p

I'm me, of course.

It's all my fault, really. I think the Episode 1 intro was one of the first things I wrote for Standoff. I can get over most other things in the game, but there's one line in the intro (" I'm scared to death that she might be dead when we get there") that just makes me grind my teeth at my own stupidity. Death... dead... ugh. So yeah, in the end I just had to re-write bits of it, and asked Alex to record the whole thing from scratch. Will it be better? We'll see :p.

I imagine it will be better. That intro made me hate Bradshaw for over an Episode.. (up until "It's a consequence of stupidity!" which is delivered fantastically and made me change my mind)

And ugh, yes, I recall grinding teeth at accidentally repeating a word in a published sentence before now. At least you got to change yours...

That's okay. With every re-release of Star Wars there's some minor, obscure change that stands out like a Human on Kilrah to those who have seen the originals dozens, if not hundreds, of times. n.n

I'm just engaging in blatant thread necromancy to point out how awesome the new Episode 1 intro is. I'm not sure causing me to laugh out loud is what you were aiming for with the Casablanca reference, but I appreciated it anyway. Good work.

Don't worry. Threads far, far older than a mere couple of months have been brought back before, and with much less relevancy.

Back