WCU question

I've finally ate away at the bugs I was reported about (except for the one about relations with garrisons not deteriorating) and got the autogen where it works consistently. Question: Am I allowed to change the ownership of some systems within the wc_universe.xml in order to make it have some more sense? The confed faction should only own systems that are strategically important or are on the frontlines, IMHO.

screenshot2.png

(you in a Sabre watching your carrier dock with a space station? Maybe in the future... for now it's them on one side and you on your own. Note that this is an autogen shot :) )

Let me clarify the question: I have a semi workable wing commander universe as it is, in that the autogen finally works correctly and so on. The questions are:

* What ships would you like to see for border worlds and kilrathi? Kilrathi DOES need a transport, for one. Privateer is happening at the same time as Wing Commander Armada, so putting some Armada ships in seems perfectly reasonable...

* Am I allowed to redistribute systems in such a way that Confed directly owns only frontline and strategic systems, and the rest is civilian? (This assumes that BW and Landreich are too small politically to have to divide between military and militia)

Also does anyone know where major production facilities for ANY factions are?

i want to finish my bit of the project so i can do the voices when i feel better ^^;

http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake/privR.zip This should fix things that were bugged earlier, and it has a quick and dirty conversion for sol system that should look half decent I hope.

If you want the new autogen to work properly I am afraid you will have to start a new game :(

temporarily, you begin the game with a Sabre, because I wanted to fly around in it ^-^ this is all very test-ish anyway. Also it compensates you for losing your stuff I hope...

spiritplumber said:
Question: Am I allowed to change the ownership of some systems within the wc_universe.xml in order to make it have some more sense? The confed faction should only own systems that are strategically important or are on the frontlines, IMHO.
You are speaking of ownership as a way to determin whose ships get spawned correct? IE no need to spawn confed ships way behind the front lines, so have it be "merchant owned" (in the game data) so we get a more civilian mix. Clarifying for anyone else reading.

If that were to work, we'd have to decide a few things. Would you do something similar to the kilrathi systems to keep the forces somewhat balanced? You could also change the production rate so confed could make do with fewer "owned" systems.

Also, will you allow systems to be taken over? If confed only "owns" a few systems on the front lines, what happens when that line is broken through? The kilrathi would then be able to rampage through merchant systems.

At any rate, this stuff should be planned and discussed carefully before work goes forward willy nilly.

Actually I had a better idea -- make confed-owned systems carry a more civilian mix by default. I'm playing with the autogen scripts to allow for that, the current version of my thing (which I really need to give a name to ^^; ) sort of starts implementing that as far as bases are concerned.

Basically in addition to defining friendlies and enemies in a system you define "roommates" -- factions that are allowed to have bases there. Then I set the autogen up so that 2/3rd of the bases are owned by the faction that owns the system, and the remaining 3rd by its roommates. Right now for example the only roommates the Kilrathi have is themselves, so a kilrathi system will have 100% kilrathi bases, and so on. I was thinking about inverting the proportions so that confed systems have enough of a civilian mix for things to make sense -- the PLANETS would be confed owned, but that's really rather transparent to the player usually.

My main thing is that it should be able to make autogen smart enough to avoid us lazy humans having to go thru the drudge of scripting things by hand...

Good idea. That should prevent the Kilrathi from rampaging through Confed space if they happen to break the line. And vice-versa (although, come to think of it, rampaging through Kilrathi space is fun...)

btw: you can also flag certain systems as being uncapturable. If you wanted, you could make a whole line (or two) of these tomake sure neither side ever penetrates too deeply into the other's space. There would be a lot of enemy ships, but through some magic they'd never take over more systems hehe

Hmm...I don't know. It might be more fun if you could penetrate as deep as you liked. Maybe if Confed captures Kilrah you could play a cinematic, or if the Kilrathi capture Earth (scary...)

i dont believe you really need to change ownerships.

confed is civillian,
kirathi is civillian
landreich is civillian
etc

they merely posess militaries for their defense needs.

confed is not the military wing of some other civillian faction.

the confed systems define the extent of the terran confederation.

a strategic AI approach would be more generalized and robust.

i.e. have system AI that check system 'worth'.
more jump links = +1
close proximity to enemy manufacturing = +1
close proximity to your own manufacturing = +1

etc

have AI look at your systems
congregate at those of highest value
find nearest enemy high value system
form a strike party
attack
take over

rinse and repeat :)

-scheherazade