WCSO Lost Fiction

Haesslich

Spaceman
I've always wondered just WHY the Blue Horizon fiction surrounding the survivors was removed. Was it due to the fact that it was too 'dark'? That it gave by hope for the rescue team or the Albergetti's survivors?

It SHOULDN'T have been an issue of 'space' on the WCSO servers, and I don't recall a very good explanation for its removal. Given it was unaffected by our successes or failures (the Nephilim flesh-eating agent was already elsewhere in the fiction, IIRC),a few more KB shouldn't have been a big deal to host or download.

Space Point

I don't know the exact story, but I don't think it was anything sinister... I think the piece was actually literally lost (as in, it was supposed to be at the website but it got stuck somewhere in the process and so wasn't included when they designed the finished site.)

Gave no hope, even. Gah.

The OTHER piece that Boomer accidentally tossed into the newsgroup was never expanded on, or even used, IIRC - this one was a bit of a puzzler, as it didn't appear anywhere; not in the manual for Prophecy Gold, not in the game, or anywhere else.

It just seemed odd, s'all.

That one was never meant to get out - it was something done internally to get a feel for where the story was going to go.

Indeed. I meant the Blue Horizon bit, with the 'plague of doom', unlike the Albergetti's own version of the mobile man-eating surprise.

For those who have no idea what we're talking about: there are two pieces of 'lost' WCSO fiction.

The first was the 'SS Blue Horizon' document, written by Captain Johnny but left off of the finished website. You can find it here: https://www.wcnews.com/articles/art3.shtml

The other is the famous 'pre fiction' accidentally posted to alt.games.wing-commander by Origin's web PR man, Boomer McCoy. Someone asked a question and he responded by posting an internal document without realizing that it was 'classified'. What's more, it suggests exactly what Origin had planned for future WCP+ stories. It's available here: https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/3833

Last edited by a moderator:
... and for those who don't remember, there were three types of fiction you could read on the website, depending on how you did on the missions; there was the 'success' password path, the failure one, and then there was 'general' fiction which was the same no matter how well or poorly you did. The Blue Horizon fiction would've probably fit right into the 'general' section of the website, had it been there.

Ah, that does provide some interesting pieces of information.

Based on the Star*Soldier information, I was assuming they entered human space to look for something related to the Seltek (SP?) drone, but that piece of information - that they got what they were after - makes me think it was Blair (which fits with some other information I've seen floating around).

Further, the Fiction note about "Ensuring it's delivery" seems to imply that a future game would have had you trying to secure Blair.

It's also occured to me that if Blair is NOT the object they were trying to recover, the odds are fairly good it's still in "our space" and not yet in "fluid space" since they would have had to establish the second jump gate and transport the object there.

Just in case this isn't known: The Blue Horizon lost fiction part is integrated in the offline fiction version of mine at about the place it should appear. It is part of the winning and generic fiction. Not sure if it is also in the loosing one. So everybody using that one will already get it at the right time.

Back